Anderson plug wiring...

Wiredit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
So, I have a 2020 JLU Willys and I also have on order a Patriot X3 camp trailer. I'll be installing the 7 pin wiring harness next weekend but the Patriot also needs an Anderson plug for the Redarc Redvision system on the trailer to charge the batteries when driving. My question is should I run the SB50 Anderson plug directly from the battery or is there a way to switch it with the ignition? I only want it to charge the trailer batteries when I'm driving and my concern is that being direct from the battery, I may forget to unplug it if I'm stopped somewhere for an extended period of time and it will drain the main battery. Thoughts?
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I don't think there is anything switched offering high(er) amp capacity other then 20-30amp.
A smart choice and what you probably want to do is add a high amp relay that is controlled by the ignition.
Many of the GM trucks I have ordered I would order with trailer tow and camper package RPO-TP2. That gave me another battery with relay and harness for just this. This is my accessory battery. Its designed for a slide in camper that could be run down and you could still start the truck off the regular/normal battery.

Something about Anderson plugs. Just like your house/AC plugs with different size and configurations for voltage and amperage, Anderson plugs are color coded for voltage and sized for amperage.

The most common seen are red (24volt) and gray (36 volt). The industry standard for 12 volt is yellow. When I see red I'm thinking its a 24 volt system. They are also available with different contacts for different size wire. The SB50 is a 50 amp plug and I think there are 4 different contacts available 12awg to 8awg.

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2022 JLUR, 2018 Raptor, 2022 TRX
Any solutions on this? I have an X3 I tow behind my Wrangler. I haven't been using the Anderson plug to charge bc I haven't installed one on the Jeep same as you but I've been thinking about it. By the way, you'll love the X3. I enjoyed the heck out of mine

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Just wire in a continuous duty solenoid and control it with an ignition source.

OP
OP

Wiredit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
Thanks guys, all great responses. I actually ran the Anderson plug circuit at the same time and the same route as the Mopar 7 pin wiring harness that I had to also run. The Anderson plug circuit for now is connected straight to the battery with just an inline fuse but I will probably go with the solenoid at a later date.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wiredit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
Any solutions on this? I have an X3 I tow behind my Wrangler. I haven't been using the Anderson plug to charge bc I haven't installed one on the Jeep same as you but I've been thinking about it. By the way, you'll love the X3. I enjoyed the heck out of mine
The dealer called me a couple of weeks ago and told me they double sold the X3 we had put a deposit on. It's the graphite color X3 and our Jeep is white but I originally wanted the white X3 to match so they hooked us up with a white one that will be here in February. I'm really looking forward to it but man those things are pricey.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
So, I have a 2020 JLU Willys and I also have on order a Patriot X3 camp trailer. I'll be installing the 7 pin wiring harness next weekend but the Patriot also needs an Anderson plug for the Redarc Redvision system on the trailer to charge the batteries when driving. My question is should I run the SB50 Anderson plug directly from the battery or is there a way to switch it with the ignition? I only want it to charge the trailer batteries when I'm driving and my concern is that being direct from the battery, I may forget to unplug it if I'm stopped somewhere for an extended period of time and it will drain the main battery. Thoughts?
I thought the point of a 7-pin harness was that it provided 30A power to the trailer🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Wiredit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
I thought the point of a 7-pin harness was that it provided 30A power to the trailer🤷‍♂️

I think the 7-pin harness is more for the trailer brakes. The Patriot X3 dealer told me that the 7 pin will charge the X3 but it will be much slower and since the X3 comes with the Anderson wiring specifically for charging, you are better off running the extra Anderson plug circuit.

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Indeed:

Jeep Wrangler JL Anderson plug wiring... 1674076397889

According to this fuse table (https://project-jl.com/index.php/2017/10/16/jl-wrangler-fuse-box-quick-reference-chart/), the various light circuits are 20A and the charging connector is 30A.

Is it worth an extra fuse, wire from the engine compartment, relay and external connector just to bump that to 50A?

Edited:
I think the 7-pin harness is more for the trailer brakes. The Patriot X3 dealer told me that the 7 pin will charge the X3 but it will be much slower and since the X3 comes with the Anderson wiring specifically for charging, you are better off running the extra Anderson plug circuit.
It looks like the Patriot X3 uses the RedArc TVMS (https://explorationoutfitters.com/pages/patriot-campers-x3) which has a max 40A input DC current: (https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/redvision#). So you may actually need a 50A connection, not to increase the speed of charging, but to avoid blowing that 30A fuse.

OP
OP

Wiredit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
Indeed:

According to this fuse table (https://project-jl.com/index.php/2017/10/16/jl-wrangler-fuse-box-quick-reference-chart/), the various light circuits are 20A and the charging connector is 30A.

Is it worth an extra wire from the engine compartment, relay and external connector just to bump that to 50A? It wouldn't be for me.

Not sure if it's worth it or not. I guess I'll find out when I take possession of the X3 next month but the Aussies seem pretty keen on their overlanding stuff so I'll go with what they recommend for starters.

Sponsored

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Not sure if it's worth it or not. I guess I'll find out when I take possession of the X3 next month but the Aussies seem pretty keen on their overlanding stuff so I'll go with what they recommend for starters.
See my edited post, I think you may actually need it if you have the RedArc TVMS.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Indeed:

Is it worth an extra fuse, wire from the engine compartment, relay and external connector just to bump that to 50A?

Edited:

It looks like the Patriot X3 uses the RedArc TVMS (https://explorationoutfitters.com/pages/patriot-campers-x3) which has a max 40A input DC current: (https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/redvision#). So you may actually need a 50A connection, not to increase the speed of charging, but to avoid blowing that 30A fuse.
this :idea:

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an X3 Owner, the RedArc system seperates the charging the house batteries from the 7 pin system that will run the trailer brakes/lights. I don't know, I guess it's an Aussie thing. @Wiredit, something I also learned frustratingly, when the 7 pin is connected to the vehicle the Redarc control system will lock out your house power sytems like water, lights ect. Except for the fridge. I couldn't figure out why my house lights wouldn't work my first trip out, which of course was a late night set up.

OP
OP

Wiredit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
As an X3 Owner, the RedArc system seperates the charging the house batteries from the 7 pin system that will run the trailer brakes/lights. I don't know, I guess it's an Aussie thing. @Wiredit, something I also learned frustratingly, when the 7 pin is connected to the vehicle the Redarc control system will lock out your house power sytems like water, lights ect. Except for the fridge. I couldn't figure out why my house lights wouldn't work my first trip out, which of course was a late night set up.

So... if you pull into camp and don't unhook the 7 pin, the house lights won't work? What if you unplug the 7 pin but not the Anderson plug? I'm wondering if it's some sort of safety feature so that the house wiring can't somehow back feed the Jeep wiring? Or a safety feature so that the house circuits can't drain the Jeep battery??

SnowDawg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So... if you pull into camp and don't unhook the 7 pin, the house lights won't work? What if you unplug the 7 pin but not the Anderson plug? I'm wondering if it's some sort of safety feature so that the house wiring can't somehow back feed the Jeep wiring? Or a safety feature so that the house circuits can't drain the Jeep battery??
Correct. Unless there is a setting I haven't found (let me know if you learn something), when the 7 pin is plugged into your vehicle the house lights/water are locked out. I assume it's so you don't leave them running while driving for some sort of protection. I do not have an Anderson plug because I have a 392 on order so I can't comment on that aspect. I feel like there should be a setting that would allow that to be changed but I haven't been able to find anything.
Sponsored