And my husband said...

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Well shit. "There is a 2-vehicle minimum to drive the trails." My friends all kind of suck. They want to go wheeling real soon now.

Can we go wheeling this weekend? No, not this weekend.

Can we go wheeling next weekend? No, not next weekend.

Can we go wheeling next month? No, not next month.

Can we go wheeling next year? No, not next year.

Can we go wheeling next millennium? No, not next millennium, but I really want go wheeling with you Real Soon Now™.

I'm tired of hearing how they want to go wheeling. Put up or shut up.

I guess I need to find me a deal on a CJ, YJ, TJ, XJ, etc., and take my son with me. And my dog. And pay one of those friends to guard my house while we're all gone.

You have never driven in Dallas.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Drivers in Pennsylvania are TOTALLY INSANE.
Let's add some missing context here.

I grant that native drivers in the greater Philadelphia and Harrisburg areas aren't always exemplars of courteous driving. When driving in the Keystone state, though, the shrewd driver will be wary of and stay away from vehicles with NY and especially NJ plates. After a lifetime of observing it, it's plainly evident that their roadcraft is consistently lousy...and there's almost no need for that here. Their aggressive and dangerous driving gives the impression that they believe they're still driving in the shithole urban areas from whence they came. Objections will not be entertained by this court.

I'm well acclimated with the 78/81 split that you mentioned. That particular area, in both directions, is a bottleneck of narrow highway corridors and excessive truck traffic. Rarely a week goes by where there isn't an overturned tractor trailer, and/or at least one fatality (I've an app that displays related VFD dispatches).

I observed similar traffic trends & problems when stationed in Florida, but I also know that Interstate highways are de facto countries unto themselves, with no intrinsic connection to the communities through which they pass. With that in mind, there's little merit in libeling an entire state because of a single and unfortunate collision, especially if I wasn't the at-fault party.

Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda won't change anything, mate.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
When driving in the Keystone state, though, the shrewd driver will be wary of and stay away from vehicles with NY and especially NJ plates.
True enough. :CWL:
With that in mind, there's little merit in libeling an entire state because of a single and unfortunate collision, especially if I wasn't the at-fault party.
Fair enough. :CWL:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That's kind of my point. Why drive 400+ miles round trip to do a "not very exciting" trail? At 15 mpg and $3.50 a gallon for gas, that's basically $100 for a badge of honor. I bet I can find somebody with a 3D scanner and a 3D printer to sell me a badge of honor for a lot less than $100. 😜
Try driving from Michigan to Peter's Mill Run towing a camper. 572 miles to run a trail that is basically a bad dirt road for 6 miles.. Heck it is nicer than some of the dirt and regular roads that Michigan has. I think you could drive a family mini van through the trail. It was a big let down for me. It was the start of the unraveling for me of wanting to get all the badge trails. At least the camp site was nice and the watch tower had a good view.

Peter's Mill Run cost me approx 400 dollars to get the badge. It took about 30 minutes to run the trail and 20 hours of driving to the trail and back.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It was the start of the unraveling for me of wanting to get all the badge trails.
I don't have a huge desire to collect badges, and I don't pay that much attention to that when I'm choosing trails. In Utah I'm usually going for scenery and solitude so I choose an area that I want to see or place I want to go and then look for trails to get there. When I visit my daughter in Colorado it's the opposite- I look for trails to do that will be interesting. But if I want to do a trail that happens to be a badge trail then I would want to get the badge to go along with it.
It's a long way for me to drive to Colorado but since my daughter moved there I'm stuck with that. It's even farther to get to Utah but that's the deal I signed up for- I bought my Jeep just so I could go to Utah and spend a week away from crowds. I've owned the Jeep 17 months and I've made 6 trips to Colorado and Utah for trails and camping. I believe that only included 1 BOH trail so far.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Try driving from Michigan to Peter's Mill Run towing a camper. 572 miles to run a trail that is basically a bad dirt road for 6 miles.. Heck it is nicer than some of the dirt and regular roads that Michigan has. I think you could drive a family mini van through the trail.
I appreciate the confirmation that I wouldn't be happy driving all the way up there to run that, badge or no badge. It might be worth the detour if I'm going up to Rasuch Creek anyway, however.

As we have this conversation, I'm realizing that the biggest problem I have is perspective. I have no idea what the trail ratings mean in the scheme of things. Sure, that trail is a 6, and that other trail is a 10, but what is my local trail? Am I running a 3 or a 7 every weekend? Would you have fun on my trail, or find it a boring waste of your road trip? It's an interesting question.

Anyway, I can't remotely even daydream about running all the BoH trails, which is why I've narrowed it down to Bear Wallow and Rausch Creek. If I do get a Badge of Honor, it will probably be at one of those parks. I'm probably too antisocial and curmudgeonly to ever go to either destination though. They sound crowded. If I liked crowds, I would just go to the mall.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I appreciate the confirmation that I wouldn't be happy driving all the way up there to run that, badge or no badge. It might be worth the detour if I'm going up to Rasuch Creek anyway, however.

As we have this conversation, I'm realizing that the biggest problem I have is perspective. I have no idea what the trail ratings mean in the scheme of things. Sure, that trail is a 6, and that other trail is a 10, but what is my local trail? Am I running a 3 or a 7 every weekend? Would you have fun on my trail, or find it a boring waste of your road trip? It's an interesting question.

Anyway, I can't remotely even daydream about running all the BoH trails, which is why I've narrowed it down to Bear Wallow and Rausch Creek. If I do get a Badge of Honor, it will probably be at one of those parks. I'm probably too antisocial and curmudgeonly to ever go to either destination though. They sound crowded. If I liked crowds, I would just go to the mall.
Bear Wallow and Rausch Creek were not crowded when I was there. They are big parks so even 100+ vehicles, it will fill empty.

Any trail can be fun and potentially beautiful. The thing with the Badge of Honor trails, is at times, I will drive a 1000+ miles past awesome trails to run a badge trail. Why because I was on a quest to get them all. After a year and a half chasing badges, I was on a quest to get them all and came to the realization that hey, the juice was not worth the squeeze because they add new trail often and you can never truly be done. That I would drive 1000s of miles past great wheeling and potential run a trail like Peters Mill Run. So now I still chase badges, but not obsessed about them. I get them when they are part of a route or used to spark an adventure.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I don't have a huge desire to collect badges, and I don't pay that much attention to that when I'm choosing trails. In Utah I'm usually going for scenery and solitude so I choose an area that I want to see or place I want to go and then look for trails to get there. When I visit my daughter in Colorado it's the opposite- I look for trails to do that will be interesting. But if I want to do a trail that happens to be a badge trail then I would want to get the badge to go along with it.
It's a long way for me to drive to Colorado but since my daughter moved there I'm stuck with that. It's even farther to get to Utah but that's the deal I signed up for- I bought my Jeep just so I could go to Utah and spend a week away from crowds. I've owned the Jeep 17 months and I've made 6 trips to Colorado and Utah for trails and camping. I believe that only included 1 BOH trail so far.
And that is how I am operating now. I still like getting badges, just not a top priority anymore. I am after the views and peace and quiet.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Hello, my name is Ted and I was a BOH addict but now I'm somebody else. :like:

True story. Have you ever approached your spouse and said "Hey thinking of taking off for two months, driving 12,000+ miles to get the rest of the badges". Her response was the "The fuck you are, I retire in 4 months. You will have to wait for me so that I can go.. "

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Never knew about this trail. Definitely going to try it and didn’t know it was a badge trail either.
Sponsored