Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Props for showing hubby your persistence! I’m still taking perfectly good, brand new parts off before I try for a BOH. Buying Jeep mods all the time leaves little left over for gas……LOL
Sponsored

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Very cool! The next question is what app?
You can download the Jeep Badge Of Honor app to your phone. Tells you where and what all the bade of honor trails are. You can check in from it and everything. That's how I did my last one down in southern Mo anyway.

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
It's the Jeep Badge of Honor app.

I have it installed, but there are no trails within day trip distance of here. I might hit one on a vacation or something.
My ultimate trail to run is the Black Bear Pass. I would also like to run Engineer and Ophir. I very seriously doubt that we have any near me here in Texas. In the Hill country maybe.
Thanks for that information.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
My ultimate trail to run is the Black Bear Pass. I would also like to run Engineer and Ophir. I very seriously doubt that we have any near me here in Texas. In the Hill country maybe.
Thanks for that information.
I would take a crack at any of them if I could get there, but all the famous trails I can think of are at least 1800 miles away. Everything is pretty far away.

From my location, in descending order of how close they are, the trails are in WV, NC, VA, SC, TN, GA, PA, IN, KY, MI, AL, FL, MI, MO, NH, AR, TX, CO, TX, CO, UT, WY, UT, AZ, MT, NV, CA, and finally OR.

I'm sure the local trail I run is more interesting than half of these trails, and I can get 21 miles of wheeling in for 1/4 tank of gas. I haven't tackled Potts Mountain yet, but it's not much farther away, and its reputation is scary enough that I am reluctant to go alone. I would really like to go with someone who knows the trail, but I haven't been able to get anything put together.

I think I will explore going up to Rausch Creek on one of my vacations though. It looks like that's the best bang for the road trip buck around here, and I could get three badges for my Jeep.

I haven't been to Pennsylvania in years. I wonder if the rednecks are still as crazy as ever. Probably. "Wanna go deer huntin'? They ain't in season, but that don't bother us none around here. The game warden knows better than to cross my path."

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I haven't been to Pennsylvania in years. I wonder if the rednecks are still as crazy as ever. Probably. "Wanna go deer huntin'? They ain't in season, but that don't bother us none around here. The game warden knows better than to cross my path."
Steady on.

I've been to a few places in Old Dominion that seemed stuck in time...and I don't mean the present. ;)

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I would take a crack at any of them if I could get there, but all the famous trails I can think of are at least 1800 miles away. Everything is pretty far away.

From my location, in descending order of how close they are, the trails are in WV, NC, VA, SC, TN, GA, PA, IN, KY, MI, AL, FL, MI, MO, NH, AR, TX, CO, TX, CO, UT, WY, UT, AZ, MT, NV, CA, and finally OR.

I'm sure the local trail I run is more interesting than half of these trails, and I can get 21 miles of wheeling in for 1/4 tank of gas. I haven't tackled Potts Mountain yet, but it's not much farther away, and its reputation is scary enough that I am reluctant to go alone. I would really like to go with someone who knows the trail, but I haven't been able to get anything put together.

I think I will explore going up to Rausch Creek on one of my vacations though. It looks like that's the best bang for the road trip buck around here, and I could get three badges for my Jeep.

pETERS MILL is a badge of honor trail in Va. its up near the strausburgh area, not terribly exciting but still fun and has some good views. very easily done stock.
or you could check out Gulches ORP in South Carolina, I did some of the trails there stock. It wasnt a badge park yet though. I would like to go back and do it again and get the badge, and spend the day this time....

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
pETERS MILL is a badge of honor trail in Va. its up near the strausburgh area, not terribly exciting but still fun and has some good views.
That's kind of my point. Why drive 400+ miles round trip to do a "not very exciting" trail? At 15 mpg and $3.50 a gallon for gas, that's basically $100 for a badge of honor. I bet I can find somebody with a 3D scanner and a 3D printer to sell me a badge of honor for a lot less than $100. 😜

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
That's kind of my point. Why drive 400+ miles round trip to do a "not very exciting" trail? At 15 mpg and $3.50 a gallon for gas, that's basically $100 for a badge of honor. I bet I can find somebody with a 3D scanner and a 3D printer to sell me a badge of honor for a lot less than $100. 😜
doh i didnt know that was that far from you lol.
check out Gulches in SC. it is definitely more exciting

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
doh i didnt know that was that far from you lol.
check out Gulches in SC. it is definitely more exciting
That one is almost as far away as Rausch Creek. Is it more fun than Rausch Creek?

I admit, I always prefer going south instead of north. Plus I have very bad memories of that part of the country. I was going up I-81, so I was in the left lane, preparing to exit off of I-81 in order to stay on I-81 at the I-78 split. There was a green SUV in the far right lane with their left blinker on.

I held back, my idiot radar tripped. I held back. Waiting. Watching. Waiting. After I had physically exited off I-81 in order to stay on I-81, at the last possible second, that idiot green SUV turned 90° left and tried to cross multiple lanes of traffic at the last possible second.

She clipped the V-shaped guard rail in the split, and that was all she wrote.

Whoosh.

Headlights.

Whoosh.

Taillights.

Whoosh.

Headlights.

Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.

WHAM!!!!!

I will never forget the sound of her daughter screaming in terror. I obliterated the shit out of that SUV. My only failing was letting my guard down, and assuming the SUV wasn't going to be completely idiotic after all. If I had been more cynical and paranoid, I could have avoided that, but it wasn't really "preventable" as such, and I didn't get a ticket. I had already been pretty paranoid up to that point, but I should have been even more paranoid. Never underestimate the capacity of a driver to exercise flagrant and egregious levels of dangerous stupidity.

I wanted to jerk that woman out of that SUV and beat her ass for endangering her children like that. I am a father of two, and it was a heartbreaking moment. The last thing I ever want to do is injure, terrify, or otherwise do harm to a child! I hated being an agent of terror inflicted on those poor innocents, but I just wasn't experienced enough at that point in my career to realize how paranoid I really needed to be. Drivers in Pennsylvania are TOTALLY INSANE.

So yeah, bad memories of Pennsylvania, honestly. Maybe I should go to the trail in South Carolina after all.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Rausch Creek?
Well shit. "There is a 2-vehicle minimum to drive the trails." My friends all kind of suck. They want to go wheeling real soon now.

Can we go wheeling this weekend? No, not this weekend.

Can we go wheeling next weekend? No, not next weekend.

Can we go wheeling next month? No, not next month.

Can we go wheeling next year? No, not next year.

Can we go wheeling next millennium? No, not next millennium, but I really want go wheeling with you Real Soon Now™.

I'm tired of hearing how they want to go wheeling. Put up or shut up.

I guess I need to find me a deal on a CJ, YJ, TJ, XJ, etc., and take my son with me. And my dog. And pay one of those friends to guard my house while we're all gone.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
That one is almost as far away as Rausch Creek. Is it more fun than Rausch Creek?

I admit, I always prefer going south instead of north. Plus I have very bad memories of that part of the country. I was going up I-81, so I was in the left lane, preparing to exit off of I-81 in order to stay on I-81 at the I-78 split. There was a green SUV in the far right lane with their left blinker on.

I held back, my idiot radar tripped. I held back. Waiting. Watching. Waiting. After I had physically exited off I-81 in order to stay on I-81, at the last possible second, that idiot green SUV turned 90° left and tried to cross multiple lanes of traffic at the last possible second.

She clipped the V-shaped guard rail in the split, and that was all she wrote.

Whoosh.

Headlights.

Whoosh.

Taillights.

Whoosh.

Headlights.

Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.

WHAM!!!!!

I will never forget the sound of her daughter screaming in terror. I obliterated the shit out of that SUV. My only failing was letting my guard down, and assuming the SUV wasn't going to be completely idiotic after all. If I had been more cynical and paranoid, I could have avoided that, but it wasn't really "preventable" as such, and I didn't get a ticket. I had already been pretty paranoid up to that point, but I should have been even more paranoid. Never underestimate the capacity of a driver to exercise flagrant and egregious levels of dangerous stupidity.

I wanted to jerk that woman out of that SUV and beat her ass for endangering her children like that. I am a father of two, and it was a heartbreaking moment. The last thing I ever want to do is injure, terrify, or otherwise do harm to a child! I hated being an agent of terror inflicted on those poor innocents, but I just wasn't experienced enough at that point in my career to realize how paranoid I really needed to be. Drivers in Pennsylvania are TOTALLY INSANE.

So yeah, bad memories of Pennsylvania, honestly. Maybe I should go to the trail in South Carolina after all.
ive not been to rausch yet. so not sure..... but i did have fun, definitely better then Peters....

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

Rausch Creek is my favorite off road park east of the Mississippi River. It is expensive to wheel there, You have to get a years membership to the park and then pay to wheel. It was just over $100 for the me and my wife to wheel there for two days.

Uwharrie National Forest has a badge trail in it. I love wheeling at Uwharrie.

Tennessee has Windrock and that is a great place to wheel also.

Alabama has Stoney Lonesome Off Road park. Very nice park. Bring your A game here.

Indiana for Red Bird. Just make sure it hasn't rained in about 3 weeks. The mud is deep if it has.

Michigan. There are endless miles and miles of trails to run. The badge trail and Drummond, is a mud mess. Most people just do the steps at Marble head, and they get there by the north loop and claim the badge. Note that is not the badge trail. The badge trail is the south loop to Marble Head and it is a fucking mess. I giggle when I see a stock Jeep without a winch, and a Marble Head badge on it. Holy Oaks ORV park is fun for about an hour.

Surprisingly the badge trails in Colorado are easy and you can easily do them with a stock vehicle. Except to Holy Cross and Poughkeepsie Gultch. All of the passes are easy driving and you can probably do them in 2wd. I think they are rated so high because if you make a mistake, it can be deadly. So if heights don't bother you, it will be a fun time.

Love Utah. The badge trails are great. There are many non badge trails here that are also incredible. I have been twice and plan to spend a month or so in Moab in 22. On the low side if you plan to go to Moab, give yourself at least two weeks. It is that awesome.

Okay, I am getting to wordy. I will save some of the others for another post.

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
that's basically $100 for a badge of honor. I bet I can find somebody with a 3D scanner and a 3D printer to sell me a badge of honor for a lot less than $100. 😜
If you just want something to stick on the side of the car then you can buy them on ebay, at least some of them. I haven't found the one that I want yet.
Sponsored