Sponsored

And i was just asking about the 2.0 vs 3.6.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
i have had both, currently in the 2.0. The 3.6 is a more quiet engine and the 2.0 is more peppy especially with larger tires. The 2.0 is easier to change the oil and gets better gas mileage. The 3.6 was super smooth with the 8 speed tranny while the 2.0 is more jumpy. Im at 600' above sea level so altitude not a factor. If you made me choose- I'd go with the 3.6 based on years and years of refinement but since I dont give a $hit about longevity because I havent kept a car more than 3 years in forever, I choose the 2.0. There, I just spoke out of both sides of my mouth.
Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
giphy (9).gif

I drive my 3.6 over 12,000 feet quite often, there is no noticeable loss of power. Have I dyno'd it there, no, but I haven't hit a situation where it struggled or failed to do what it always does.
That's wrong. Unless Jeep has figured out how to defy the laws of physics. I'm in motorsports and for turbo cars we use altitude correction. For example, Miller Motorsports Park is at 4200ft. Thus when we run there, turbo cars get an approximate 2 psi reduction in boost as opposed to places like Daytona (which is at sea level). Trust me, it's noticeable.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I can live with that, I do know that a turbo will handle altitudes better than a NA engine, I just haven't felt the difference in my travels. I don't have anything bad to say about the 2.0 myself, I chose the 3.6 simply because it has been around for awhile and proven to be a good motor, that was back in '19 though. Don't take offense at my post, that's just me.
Didn't they totally redo the 3.6 though? I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the original.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
That's wrong. Unless Jeep has figured out how to defy the laws of physics. I'm in motorsports and for turbo cars we use altitude correction. For example, Miller Motorsports Park is at 4200ft. Thus when we run there, turbo cars get an approximate 2 psi reduction in boost as opposed to places like Daytona (which is at sea level). Trust me, it's noticeable.
If I ever decide to race at 12k I'll worry about it, for regular driving and crawling up trails at that altitude I have never noticed a difference in my NA 3.6 Jeep. But then again, I'm not racing it at those altitudes.

Last edited:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Didn't they totally redo the 3.6 though? I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the original.
In 2016 they did. There was more info available about that motor in 2019 than there was about the 2.0, although I would say now in 2021 that there is than enough info about the 2.0 out there for buyers to make an informed decision about what they want.

Sponsored

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Also have a 2019 3.6 and a 2020 Turbo.
I vote turbo for performance, mileage, and engine sound.

Hotspots

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S 2-Door
Test drive both and see for yourself :) At the end of the day, both engines will get the job done well. I personally went with the V6 because:
1. I liked the sound better.
2. Having a V6 in a Jeep just feels right. I've got nothing against the Turbo, I honestly think I'm just old school. Same goes with the 2door vs 4door. Both are good, but there is a right answer 😉

Personally, I think the V6 drives more like a truck and the Turbo drives more like a car. It's personally preference.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Test drive both and see for yourself :) At the end of the day, both engines will get the job done well. I personally went with the V6 because:
1. I liked the sound better.
2. Having a V6 in a Jeep just feels right. I've got nothing against the Turbo, I honestly think I'm just old school. Same goes with the 2door vs 4door. Both are good, but there is a right answer 😉

Personally, I think the V6 drives more like a truck and the Turbo drives more like a car. It's personally preference.
Like JK old school or Dauntless V6 old school (1966-1971)?

Sponsored

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
The 2.0 is easier to change the oil and gets better gas mileage.
Not arguing, I have never changed the oil in a 2.0. But I love having a cartridge filter on the 3.6 on top of the engine. No mess because it drains the second you turn off the engine. I do not have to jack the jeep up to get to the oil drain plug, which should be the same on both engines. (That is usually the most time consuming part of an oil change) The 3.6 on the jeep has to be the quickest oil change of any vehicle I have ever changed oil on.

Now my jeep grand cherokee with the 5.7, I hate the oil filter on it. In 12 years changing it's oil, pulling the filter ALWAYS gets some on the cross member that is a PITA to clean so that is does not get on the garage floor. Only reason I keep that jeep is I love it. Great all round vehicle.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm just countin' cylinders here 😂 From the looks of your profile I would assume you're a V6 > 2.0 Turbo?
I don't discriminate. My avatar is from a past Jeep, and I currently have a 2.0. I have owned or been around many 4.0s, and even the great-great-grandfather of the 4.0 in a 1964 Rambler Americian.

Jeep's engine history has such a large family tree... the variety keeps me interested. I mean, at one time or another the Wrangler (or CJ) has shared an engine platform with the Pacer, Fiero, and Hellcat. Even the V8 version of the Dauntless V6 is was eventually used by Rover...

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
One of the reasons I traded in my ‘19 for a ‘21 was the increased pep from the 2.0 at the expense of the manual. First automatic transmission for me since 2008.

Test drive both. YMMV.
Sponsored