First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
An open letter to Jeep/FCA,

I am a huge Jeep fan.

I bought my most recent Jeep, a 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon around Thanksgiving in 2006. It has been the most fun vehicle my family and I have ever owned. We have owned sports cars, other off-road vehicles, motorcycles and even a Land Rover Range Rover (back when it was owned by BMW). With the doors and top off, we took the brand new JK off-roading, much to the surprise of the Jeep group members we went wheeling with. Over time, as a true Jeep enthusiast, I put on larger tires, lift kit, better bumpers/winch and some under body protection. Either with just my son or with our whole family, we would go wheeling and camping at least 1 weekend a month, regardless of the weather. Living in the northeast made wheeling trails covered in ice that much more of a challenge. I always told people that it was the most incredible vehicle. We could spend 4 hours going 1.8 miles up a very technical rock trail and another 4 hours on the return, air up the tires, press the button to reconnect the anti-sway bars and then get on the highway and drive 65-70 MPH all the way home.

After 12 years, it was time to get a new one. I ordered a 2019 Rubicon (2 door) on 10/22/18 exactly how I wanted it outfit knowing what after market toys I would add. I then waited, checking early on with Jeep Chat about how the build was going. Week after week, it was stuck in C status. I called my dealer who did not have any other news. On day 45 after my order, I was on Jeep Chat asking about the status of the order. It was still in C status, so I ā€˜escalatedā€™ the issue, was given a case number and told I would get feedback from Jeep in 3 to 5 business days. I again reached out to my dealer who did not have any additional data.

On the 53rd day after my order, my Jeep dealer called me to say that they had just received an email from Jeep saying they could not build the Jeep as I had ordered it until ā€œsome time in the 2nd quarter of 2019ā€. The only way I could get it built sooner was to remove the safety package or add the $1,420 8.4ā€ stereo. While I had no interest in the stereo, as I wanted to put in an after-market system, I asked what date the Jeep would be built if I agreed to spend the extra money. The dealer did not know. So I called Jeep, and after spending a long time on the call, I was told that it is Jeepā€™s policy to say that new orders will be delivered in 3 -4 months. So basically, I would go back to the beginning of the queue.

I fumed for a bit and then called back the Jeep customer service line and asked to speak to a manager. After battling with Melissa, the person from Jeep, she would not connect me to a manager.

And lest you forget the escalation at day 45, Jeep never ever contacted me.

So I called my Jeep dealer and cancelled the order. While I hope this is an isolated incident, the forum boards suggest otherwise. I am thrilled Jeep is selling so many vehicles. But this may not be a trend that continues considering how comfortable Jeep appears to be treating its customers so shabbily.

At almost any point in the process, if I had received any form of proactive communication from Jeep that there would be delays, I would have gritted my teeth and been disappointed, but I would have understood. No once in the entire time following my order did I ever get a call/email/text from Jeep that preceded my reaching out to them. No once!

While I still smile when I see Wranglers of any vintage, I will not be driving one again. If during the period of time I am trying to buy a $47K vehicle I get such poor service and attention, how will the service be after they are no longer interested in my money.

Best of luck to the rest of you.
Sponsored

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I think someone else posted the same thing as you saying they were told the same thing, delay is due to a special wiring harness with the combo of options you have, and when they added infotainment it was built 3 days later

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear your frustrations but why not just go to a dealership? They have every color and nearly every configuration you could want and if they donā€™t they will add it for you there.

I went on Nov 11th to purchase my wrangler and drove home same day and was extremely happy.

I just donā€™t understand this ā€˜orderingā€™ trend.. if you want one that bad and canā€™t stand to wait then simply go to a dealership. Unless you live at the North Pole Iā€™m sure there is a dealership somewhere within a reasonable distance.

Again, Iā€™m not poking fun at your situation, itā€™s terrible and Iā€™m sorry. But I just donā€™t get it.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Sorry to hear your frustrations but why not just go to a dealership? They have every color and nearly every configuration you could want and if they donā€™t they will add it for you there.

I went on Nov 11th to purchase my wrangler and drove home same day and was extremely happy.

I just donā€™t understand this ā€˜orderingā€™ trend.. if you want one that bad and canā€™t stand to wait then simply go to a dealership. Unless you live at the North Pole Iā€™m sure there is a dealership somewhere within a reasonable distance.

Again, Iā€™m not poking fun at your situation, itā€™s terrible and Iā€™m sorry. But I just donā€™t get it.

People need to understand they are buying a Fiat Chrysler. Tread carefully folks. These arenā€™t Toyotas.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I had the same, plus enjoyment from my '08 JKUR, so when ordering the NEW JL-I was willing to wait for the NEW IMPROVEMENT ON my previous "TOP OF THE LINE" RUBICON--

So I waited and received another pick of the litter--

I feel sorry for you-

W.E.

JIMBO

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JKā€™s , XJ
Plenty of jeeps on dealer lots... id be willing to bet with the same specs too...

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
Plenty of jeeps on dealer lots... id be willing to bet with the same specs too...
You guys don't get it. I looked for a few months within 150 or 200 miles of my house and couldn't find what I wanted before ordering. I admit 1 or 2 showed up 200 miles away a month after I placed my order. And I live in Pittsburgh, so there are several million people within 200 miles.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
You usually can get a better deal ordering, and get it exactly the way you want it. Buying off a lot you usually have to settle. Youā€™re either doing without something you wanted, or paying for more than you wanted. An order averages about ten weeks, but we live in an ā€œI want it now ā€œ world.

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I waited 151 days from order to receive my 2018 JL and flew to the dealer to pick it up. The drive back home was 450+ miles.
I say all that just to say I agree with you that Jeep Build/Shipping Tracking and Customer Communications systems are dysfunctional and none of their three systems are in sync with one another.
I love Jeep, but they must totally rebuild and revamp these antiquated systems.
Jeep has state if the art robots building the Jeeps and state of confusion tracking and communication systems.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Where the hell are you guys seeing all these 2019 Rubicons to pick from off of dealership lots? Please direct me to one configured like I ordered (loaded JLUR 3.6L AT in Ocean Blue) so I can go buy it! Jeep search tool doesnā€™t show one within 150 miles of Houston, either on lot or in transit. Seriously.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Iā€™ve ordered a car with Jaguar and Audi before, the process sucks with them as well. Your experience is exactly what I expect from dealers so my bar is set very low. Only thing I can tell you is that if you really want a Jeep, continue to buy it. Be a dick while purchasing it but purchase it if thatā€™s what you want. End of the day, whether you buy it or donā€™t (out of principle) wonā€™t mean anything to FCA.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Where the hell are you guys seeing all these 2019 Rubicons to pick from off of dealership lots? Please direct me to one configured like I ordered (loaded JLUR 3.6L AT in Ocean Blue) so I can go buy it! Jeep search tool doesnā€™t show one within 150 miles of Houston, either on lot or in transit. Seriously.
Not sure if it's still there but they had an ocean blue with every option but the bumpers last week when I was at my dealer for service. They have at least twenty 19 JLUR on the lot. I think a few of them were awaiting pickup by their owners

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
If this happens to anybody else there are a few options. 1. Your dealer can hortlist the jeep for you so it bumps you up in the queue 2. Contact your regional customer service manager through your gm...he or she can help and can also hortlist it.
Sponsored