First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Brake Lock Differential Explained: https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

If you’re new to Jeep, relatively new to off roading like myself, and do not have lockers, I happened across an old blog when BLD was still relatively new to off road that you may find insightful. While it doesn’t give exact scenarios on its use and exactly how it may be different from a locker in a scenario, knowing that you need more throttle than a locker to get torque to the ground is a start toward better understanding in real world obstacle encounters where BLD may be of help.

If anyone has tips for those new to off roading with their JL and getting that BLD to work well, please share your experience, stories, and even the negatives you’ve encountered with a BLD.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat

There are no real negatives or driving style adjustments needed to be made, really. It's a good system and works well enough for most trails. One main thing it won't do is climb a face. If you've ever seen a picture of a jeep with its front tire on top of another jeep's tire, BLD is not strong enough to do that.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

If you’re new to Jeep, relatively new to off roading like myself, and do not have lockers, I happened across an old blog when BLD was still relatively new to off road that you may find insightful. While it doesn’t give exact scenarios on its use and exactly how it may be different from a locker in a scenario, knowing that you need more throttle than a locker to get torque to the ground is a start toward better understanding in real world obstacle encounters where BLD may be of help.

If anyone has tips for those new to off roading with their JL and getting that BLD to work well, please share your experience, stories, and even the negatives you’ve encountered with a BLD.
Thanks, that's a nice overview.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

Where are you in KY?

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
BLDs are unmitigated horseshit dumpster fires if you're stuck. My dodge ram has it. So glad my jeep does not need to rely on it.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
BLDs are unmitigated horseshit dumpster fires if you're stuck. My dodge ram has it. So glad my jeep does not need to rely on it.
If it was mud, I can’t really see it helping much there. What were you stuck in?

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If it was mud, I can’t really see it helping much there. What were you stuck in?
Mud, snow, jello, haha it's all a dumpster fire. I suppose if you were stuck in a ditch with a back wheel off the ground it'll help. The way it bangs things around and hammers the drivetrain is a mess and also slows overall wheel speed, which is super important when stuck in snow.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Mud, snow, jello, haha it's all a dumpster fire. I suppose if you were stuck in a ditch with a back wheel off the ground it'll help. The way it bangs things around and hammers the drivetrain is a mess and also slows overall wheel speed, which is super important when stuck in snow.
Yeah, it seems for it to help the tire that isn’t spinning or at least one needs to be in a situation where it has available traction. Kinda like being in a ditch and one wheel off the ground.

To add, if one is running larger/heavier wheel setups, I wonder if the BLD applies the brake a certain/predetermined amount of pressure in a certain amount of time if it wouldn’t help to get unstuck to have better braking performance. Something like better biting brake pads could better transfer torque to the other tire at the expense of rotor life.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I had a Deere mower with a differential lock foot button; you could vary foot pressure on it for varying amounts of lockup (I assume it was clutch-based).

No computer wizardry, but a really easy/intuitive way to maintain traction on slippery slopes without having to manually engage/disengage a locker over and over. I wish there was something analogous to this for modern 4x4s.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah, it seems for it to help the tire that isn’t spinning or at least one needs to be in a situation where it has available traction. Kinda like being in a ditch and one wheel off the ground.
Yeah where I hate it is when all tires have the similar amounts of traction. All BLD is doing is braking (stopping) the 2 wheels that are spinning in order to force the other 2 wheels to spin, then it brakes those 2 wheels so the original ones begin spinning again. Keep repeating this continuously back and forth, hahaha it's maddening.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Brake Lock Differential Explained: https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

Thanks for the share. My 2018 JLUS is the first Jeep I've had with this system and from what I've experienced it's worked well. I don't think it's the right tool for a true rock-crawler setup, but I've yet to throw a situation at it that the Jeep has failed to tackle... be it FL mud or NC roots and rocks, etc. Mine does struggle more than if it had lockers, especially for climbing situations where I'm off camber and one wheel in the air. But I've learned to give it just a split second to kick in and let it do it's thing. I will admit at first it was a bit odd to get used to at first.

...I still wouldn't wheel without my winch and recovery tracks though! ;)

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
So do have to actually put your foot on the brake to activate this BLD, or you simply keep foot on gas and it happens automatically?
Sponsored