Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
These lines run almost the entire length of the wheelbase, right at frame level. Rocks, sticks can easily snag them.

1624426920801.png

1624427053926.png
I don't disagree. But I'm still more concerned with the transmission lines, as they seem far more vulnerable to me. The brake lines too.
Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Awesome thread/post now I know what e-torque is. I gotta say that I barely ever notice the auto stop/start on my 2021, if its even there. Is it safe to say that all 2021 v6s come with e-torque?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don't disagree. But I'm still more concerned with the transmission lines, as they seem far more vulnerable to me. The brake lines too.
I'm not, since I have a engine/transmission skid plate. Also, the 2.0 engine does not have the crossover exhaust pipe - another vulnerability eliminated.

The issue with the coolant lines is not that they are super vulnerable, it is that they are hard to protect.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There are many different system components that it 4 full model years, and not 1 peep about damaged coolant lines for the battery pack. Not saying it couldn't happen, but ...
I think this is a good point - theoretical risk vs actual experience. I have to say I found a massive stick/branch wedged with by my transfer case/fuel line on the passenger side. I was simply lucky it did not snag my fuel line right off. So now I want to protect those lines. Agree, that the cooling lines have not proven to be an issue so far.

The rear muffler on all motors and the crossover exhaust pipe on the 3.6 gets whacked all the time. Why isn't jeep asked "what were you thinking?" when they layed out the exhaust systems?
Not having the crossover pipe, which by the way is almost never mentioned here as a benefit of the 2.0, was one of the many reasons I decided to go with the less proven 2.0 engine.

As far as the rear muffler, the difference there is that if it gets damaged enough I can easily pull it off and the Jeep will keep going. I can also go to any muffler shop and have it replaced for $200.

The eTorque coolant/harness lines? Not so much.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Strange, I just hopped in mine and went out for lunch. Ay first it definitely wasn't working, so I was like maybe that's why I haven't noticed it. But then I started to flip through the options on the steering wheel when & I came across a message "Auto Stop/Start not active heating cooling enable". I turned off the heat "66 fn degrease here in June, and doors off", then it seemed to kick in at my next stop. So I guess you cant have the heat on and take advantage of e-torque? It really isn't very noticeable unless your looking for it. I also like the torquie feeling you get when coasting/going slow. I was going to post about the torquie feeling in another thread titled "What is one of the most overlooked features of your Jeep?", but I dint know it was e-torque that was making it do that. Thanks again for the education.

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
For those who haven't seen it yet, in this video a Chrysler engineer explains what eTorque is, how it works, and what it does. I found it really helpful, so figured I would share.

This is in a Ram 1500, but it's basically the same system as in the Wrangler. Since Jeep doesn't really explain it well in their marketing, it can be easily confused with ESS (electronic start-stop). eTorque is a belt starter-generator and is used for more than just the engine start-stop function.

A quick summary of the 6 functions of eTorque:

1. Stop-Start: Unlike ESS, which uses the starter and is much more noticeable, eTorque uses the 48V battery and belt starter generator (BSG) to restart the engine within 400ms. Saves gas when at stop lights, etc. (I can verify that it's very seamless. The thing you notice most is just the lack of engine NVH when it stops.)

2. eRoll Assist: when starting to move, eTorque adds power for approximately the first half tire rotation to give the engine a "boost" down at inefficient low engine revs to get the vehicle moving.

3. Upshift Rev Matching: when the engine needs to upshift, eTorque scrubs off engine speed to rev match for a smooth shift, and stores that energy in the 48V battery instead of using the transmission clutches to scrub off that speed.

4. Electronic System power: the 48V battery is used to power the vehicle electrical loads so that the engine doesn't have the extra parasitic loss.

5. Downshift Rev Matching: eTorque accelerates the engine for smooth shifts instead of having to use fuel.

6. Regenerative Braking: under coasting or normal braking conditions, eTorque puts a load on the engine and uses the BSG to store energy that would normally have to be absorbed by the brake pads.

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
For those who haven't seen it yet, in this video a Chrysler engineer explains what eTorque is, how it works, and what it does. I found it really helpful, so figured I would share.

This is in a Ram 1500, but it's basically the same system as in the Wrangler. Since Jeep doesn't really explain it well in their marketing, it can be easily confused with ESS (electronic start-stop). eTorque is a belt starter-generator and is used for more than just the engine start-stop function.

1. Stop-Start: Unlike ESS, which uses the starter and is much more noticeable, eTorque uses the 48V battery and belt starter generator (BSG) to restart the engine within 400ms. Saves gas when at stop lights, etc. (I can verify that it's very seamless. The thing you notice most is just the lack of engine NVH when it stops.)

2. eRoll Assist: when starting to move, eTorque adds power for approximately the first half tire rotation to give the engine a "boost" down at inefficient low engine revs to get the vehicle moving.

3. Upshift Rev Matching: when the engine needs to upshift, eTorque scrubs off engine speed to rev match for a smooth shift, and stores that energy in the 48V battery instead of using the transmission clutches to scrub off that speed.

4. Electronic System power: the 48V battery is used to power the vehicle electrical loads so that the engine doesn't have the extra parasitic loss.

5. Downshift Rev Matching: eTorque accelerates the engine for smooth shifts instead of having to use fuel.

6. Regenerative Braking: under coasting or normal braking conditions, eTorque puts a load on the engine and uses the BSG to store energy that would normally have to be absorbed by the brake pads.
I have the 2.0l with eTorque on my JLU and love it. Super smooth start stop and I am getting 20.5 mpg mostly city driving, with bit of highway, way over that on road trips

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
I prefer the e-torque vs a hidden battery that can deadline the JL. My 2-door with it seems a bit torque-er at start up. "ASS" (autumatic stop/start) is not a factor since I turn it off with every start. On my manual trans JT the"ASS" only activates with the truck in neutral (hardly ever in day-to-day driving) so it's just a waste of tech and hardware (that I had to pay for).

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
As an aside I am one of the few who actually like auto start/stop. One thing I learned recently purely by accident is that if you are at a light and it didn't engage, push the brake pedal harder and it will probably engage. This is a feature on my wife's Toyota with a message on the dash that says "push brake harder..." so tried it on the Jeep and lo and behold.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogue Toad

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
Since I have the Tazer, I normally have the system set to off mainly because I just don't like the wear and tear of restarts when I know I'll only be at a light for a moment, etc. But if I'm at a long light or in a traffic jam, I'll turn the system on.

My only real issue with it is that in FL it's hot enough (at least in summer) that the system won't activate if it's actively cooling the Jeep. So if I'm at a light it won't be on, then when the vehicle cools a bit the engine stops and inevitably right then the light changes so it's off for 3 seconds. :D

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase

Good summary except the engineer missed this from FCA:
“A short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions;”
Jim Morrison has described it as a torque curve filling function under 2,000 rpm. Ram described it in their marketing as the additional torque to get up a boat ramp (the whole ramp, not just roll-assist).
With the 4.56 gearing on my JLU with Xtreme Recon I can feel this etorque contribution under 2,000 rpm especially in transitions from off-throttle to on throttle. I probably could not notice this in a Sahara with higher gearing, but in lower geared XRs you feel the punch of up to 90 lbs ft extra, it gets your attention in a good way. Makes you smile.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing that changes the MPG rating. But yes, it probable adds a fraction of a MPG.

I think it's something that Jeep thought they could get some extra $$$ for. And they have been moving eTorque from one engine to another, one price option to another trying to get enough customers to order it.

I think right now they are betting on customers taking it without having to quantify the benefits.
My 2022 High Tide with etorque V-6 is rated at 19 city, 24 highway and 21 combined. That is 2 mpg better than non-etorque for the 2022 Wranglers. Jeep has said Wrangler fuel efficiency improved “in the teens” percent with etorque.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Good summary except the engineer missed this from FCA:
“A short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions;”
Jim Morrison has described it as a torque curve filling function under 2,000 rpm. Ram described it in their marketing as the additional torque to get up a boat ramp (the whole ramp, not just roll-assist).
With the 4.56 gearing on my JLU with Xtreme Recon I can feel this etorque contribution under 2,000 rpm especially in transitions from off-throttle to on throttle. I probably could not notice this in a Sahara with higher gearing, but in lower geared XRs you feel the punch of up to 90 lbs ft extra, it gets your attention in a good way. Makes you smile.
Interesting! I hadn't thought of the etorque benefit difference with lower vs higher gearing. My '22 JL Willys 3.6 etorque has the stock 3.45 gearing (which I don't care for at all) and I've been considering a 4.10, or more likely 4.56 conversion. I'll never be running larger than a 33" tire.
Thanks for sharing your etorque experience with the lower gearing. That's something I can look forward to. 🙂

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting! I hadn't thought of the etorque benefit difference with lower vs higher gearing. My '22 JL Willys 3.6 etorque has the stock 3.45 gearing (which I don't care for at all) and I've been considering a 4.10, or more likely 4.56 conversion. I'll never be running larger than a 33" tire.
Thanks for sharing your etorque experience with the lower gearing. That's something I can look forward to. 🙂
Given the gearing in our excellent 850re transmissions, I would not be afraid to consider the 4.56 gearing. Really wakes up seventh and eighth gears in the transmission. It is a factory option these days in the XR (though not on the JL two-door). Allows you the upgrade to 35s in the future. If you have Etorque, the change will be quite noticeable in that system's contribution. But 4.10 gears with 33s is also the classic pairing and a good one, if no future plans for 35s. 35s are a big help off-road. I have run both. One of my favorite old JKs was a Sport with 3.70 gears. In hindsight, I should have re-geared, lifted and installed 35s for how I was using that Jeep. My new JL High Tide/XR has shown me the error of my ways with 35s, lift and 4.56 gearing. One other consideration is weight. Your JL Willys is lighter than a JLU, significantly. That might push the analysis also to 4.10s if no plans for 35s. I just would not sell 35s short though. An Etorque V-6 in a JL with an 850re trans and with 35s and a quality 1.5-2 inch lift would be pretty sweet in my humble opinion. Yes, 3.45 gearing is not where you want to drive. It takes so much away from the dynamics of driving your Jeep and in the real world does not save much gas as you are always in the weak part of your engine's power band. So unless you have the patience of a saint (I don't), you apply more throttle to overcome that, engine shifts to a lower gear in the trans, which does not help mileage. Get your axle gearing correct and that changes and makes better use of our very nice 8-speed transmissions and Etorque systems, especially at low rpm. Which is where we spend most of our time driving.
Sponsored