Sponsored

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
For those who haven't seen it yet, in this video a Chrysler engineer explains what eTorque is, how it works, and what it does. I found it really helpful, so figured I would share.

This is in a Ram 1500, but it's basically the same system as in the Wrangler. Since Jeep doesn't really explain it well in their marketing, it can be easily confused with ESS (electronic start-stop). eTorque is a belt starter-generator and is used for more than just the engine start-stop function.

A quick summary of the 6 functions of eTorque:

1. Stop-Start: Unlike ESS, which uses the starter and is much more noticeable, eTorque uses the 48V battery and belt starter generator (BSG) to restart the engine within 400ms. Saves gas when at stop lights, etc. (I can verify that it's very seamless. The thing you notice most is just the lack of engine NVH when it stops.)

2. eRoll Assist: when starting to move, eTorque adds power for approximately the first half tire rotation to give the engine a "boost" down at inefficient low engine revs to get the vehicle moving.

3. Upshift Rev Matching: when the engine needs to upshift, eTorque scrubs off engine speed to rev match for a smooth shift, and stores that energy in the 48V battery instead of using the transmission clutches to scrub off that speed.

4. Electronic System power: the 48V battery is used to power the vehicle electrical loads so that the engine doesn't have the extra parasitic loss.

5. Downshift Rev Matching: eTorque accelerates the engine for smooth shifts instead of having to use fuel.

6. Regenerative Braking: under coasting or normal braking conditions, eTorque puts a load on the engine and uses the BSG to store energy that would normally have to be absorbed by the brake pads.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have posted that one and another around here. Good videos explaining how it likely is with our Wranglers.

OP
OP
Rogue Toad

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
I have posted that one and another around here. Good videos explaining how it likely is with our Wranglers.
The engineer in the video says that they don't really market eTorque because they see it as just something like ABS or fuel injection ... just another part of the tech that runs engines.

But seems like that just leads to confusion because unlike ABS, people don't really know what it is or what it does yet. Not to mention any other company using the same technology would brand it as something else instead of using a common terminology.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys...great videos! I am a little concerned though, as the start/stop feature in my JL isn't anywhere as smooth as they demonstrated in the video, and definitely isn't "imperceptible" (their words). Just curious what everyone is experiencing in their Wranglers.

Also...I'd assume that after disabling the start/stop feature, the other 5 eTorque features described in the video are still operating normally. True?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For those who haven't seen it yet, in this video a Chrysler engineer explains what eTorque is, how it works, and what it does. I found it really helpful, so figured I would share.

This is in a Ram 1500, but it's basically the same system as in the Wrangler. Since Jeep doesn't really explain it well in their marketing, it can be easily confused with ESS (electronic start-stop). eTorque is a belt starter-generator and is used for more than just the engine start-stop function.

A quick summary of the 6 functions of eTorque:

1. Stop-Start: Unlike ESS, which uses the starter and is much more noticeable, eTorque uses the 48V battery and belt starter generator (BSG) to restart the engine within 400ms. Saves gas when at stop lights, etc. (I can verify that it's very seamless. The thing you notice most is just the lack of engine NVH when it stops.)

2. eRoll Assist: when starting to move, eTorque adds power for approximately the first half tire rotation to give the engine a "boost" down at inefficient low engine revs to get the vehicle moving.

3. Upshift Rev Matching: when the engine needs to upshift, eTorque scrubs off engine speed to rev match for a smooth shift, and stores that energy in the 48V battery instead of using the transmission clutches to scrub off that speed.

4. Electronic System power: the 48V battery is used to power the vehicle electrical loads so that the engine doesn't have the extra parasitic loss.

5. Downshift Rev Matching: eTorque accelerates the engine for smooth shifts instead of having to use fuel.

6. Regenerative Braking: under coasting or normal braking conditions, eTorque puts a load on the engine and uses the BSG to store energy that would normally have to be absorbed by the brake pads.
Great find! Thank you for sharing.

Now I know what eTorque does! FCA should explain it like this every time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogue Toad

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
Thanks guys...great videos! I am a little concerned though, as the start/stop feature in my JL isn't anywhere as smooth as they demonstrated in the video, and definitely isn't "imperceptible" (their words). Just curious what everyone is experiencing in their Wranglers.

Also...I'd assume that after disabling the start/stop feature, the other 5 eTorque features described in the video are still operating normally. True?
What engine do you have and what year vehicle? eTorque used to be paired with the 2.0L but now it's with the 3.6L. You may have ESS and not the BSG. I have the 3.6 with eTorque and the only thing you notice is when the engine stops you lose that vibration. But the engine restart is all but imperceptible.

I'm not a Jeep engineer, but I'm pretty positive turning of the start-stop wouldn't affect any of the other functions.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The engineer in the video says that they don't really market eTorque because they see it as just something like ABS or fuel injection ... just another part of the tech that runs engines.

But seems like that just leads to confusion because unlike ABS, people don't really know what it is or what it does yet. Not to mention any other company using the same technology would brand it as something else instead of using a common terminology.
That sounds like a strange justification on their part. If FCA though eTorque is that generic, then why bother giving it its own name?

Car companies don’t go giving ABS or fuel injection systems their own brand names...

Most likely FCA now realizes it f-ed up marketing eTorque and it made up a justification after-the-fact.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Correct assumption. Disabling Automatic Stop Start does not shut down the other aspects of etorque.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
What engine do you have and what year vehicle? eTorque used to be paired with the 2.0L but now it's with the 3.6L. You may have ESS and not the BSG. I have the 3.6 with eTorque and the only thing you notice is when the engine stops you lose that vibration. But the engine restart is all but imperceptible.

I'm not a Jeep engineer, but I'm pretty positive turning of the start-stop wouldn't affect any of the other functions.
Thanks for the reply. I have the 3.6, but wouldn't say the restart is imperceptible on my JL. As a comparison, it isn't much less noticeable than what we experience in our Grand Cherokee with 3.6 and ESS. Seems like I might need to have the dealer check it out (cringing).

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Stupid question. I have the 3.6 with eTorque. While I have a decent understanding of what it does and why it's there, I'm a little unsure of some other things that it's presence means. Primarily, that smaller secondary battery that sits behind the passenger front wheel well under the fuse box.

If I'm putting all of the pieces together correctly from the various eTorque threads, that battery was for the older ESS system, without eTorque. As such, my JLU with eTorque then does NOT have that smaller secondary battery, but the hybrid electric battery for the eTorque mounted elsewhere, correct?

I ask because I don't think I would see the secondary if it is there, and the owner's manual only says "Vehicles equipped with eTorque contain a heavy duty motor generator and an additional hybrid electric battery to store energy from vehicle deceleration for use on engine startup after a stop as well as providing launch torque assist. " which is not a lot of explanation and could mean there are 3 batteries.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Look under your Jeep on Driver side, will be a skid protecting the 48V battery for the E-TQ, also note the cooling circuit. You do not have the ESS battery ( tiny one on the passanger wheel well). You also do not have a traditional altenator, you have the 48 BSG which can act as a motor or gnertor.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think the issue with eTorque is the cost/benefit equation.

On the Ram, the battery is out of harm's way, the vehicle/engine is much heavier, thus the benefits are more significant (up to 2MPG difference).

On the JL, there was ZERO MPG difference between the models with/without eTorque (e.g. 2020 V6 no eTorque vs 2021 V6 w eTorque). Furthermore, the battery and all its cooling lines are exposed under the Jeep - a vehicle that is supposed to be on rocks, mud, water.

So it is a matter of the cost (in $$$, complexity, off-road vulnerability) vs no change in MPG rating.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The issue is that you can hardly ever justify paying more to save money. The economy gains would need to be huge, like in the case of Prius, to offset the added cost. But that type of economy gain is clearly not a primary objective for an off-road vehicle like Wrangler.

IMO, the key benefits eTorque provides is that it (a) it smoothens ESS re-start, up-shinfting and down-shifting operation, and (b) does away with the auxiliary battery.

As such, FCA should have positioned eTorque as a technological improvement like, say, cylinder deactivation, instead of as a separate powertrain “option."

BTW, these marketing issues should have been resolved while eTorque was still in development. The fact that Jeep was caught flat-footed marketing this technology only illustrates the loss of marketing grasp under Fiat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue Toad

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
I think the issue with eTorque is the cost/benefit equation.

On the JL, there was ZERO MPG difference between the models with/without eTorque (e.g. 2020 V6 no eTorque vs 2021 V6 w eTorque). Furthermore, the battery and all its cooling lines are exposed under the Jeep - a vehicle that is supposed to be on rocks, mud, water.
I think there actually is some real world benefit, including better fuel economy. If there weren't, I'm not sure why Jeep would even bother since more components equal more development expense, build complexity, and potential warranty issues.

I would agree that I don't know if there is a compelling cost / benefit argument. The start stop is definitely smoother but just as easy to turn the whole thing off. And for a Jeep the customer traditionally wants "tried and true" tech. The upshifting, downshifting, and regen braking are harder to quantify in terms of benefits.
Sponsored