An active regen happened below 51% soot in the DPF

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I did some city street driving this morning - about 12 miles back and forth. When I started this morning, Scangauge displayed 43% STM, and when I came back home, STM rose to about 48%. Regen count in the history of the Jeep was 3, and I had the last active regen some 800 miles back (approx.)

In the afternoon, I took my Jeep out again but this time on the freeway. Before I reached the freeway, Scanguage jumped up by 2% more to 50% (which is normal). After a few minutes on the freeway, I noticed that my Scanguage was showing regen on and STM was showing 79%. The active regen lasted about 8-10 minutes and when it turned off, STM was displaying 8-14% and the numbers were constantly moving in that range every few minutes. By the time I completed my commute, STM settled at around 12% when I shut off the engine.

So this was a surprising behavior (and I am actually pleased with this). Based on fellow posters observations that active regen begins when soot level hits 80%, I thought I had a long way to go before I see an active regen.

So here is my theory on active regens. It does initiate an active regen at 80% level, but it looks like it proactively does one after certain number of miles are driven without an active regen.

Hence, an active regen occurs either at 80% or 800 miles (approximation) - whichever happens sooner?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Also, while it was undergoing active region, DPF temps were in mid 700s.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I did some city street driving this morning - about 12 miles back and forth. When I started this morning, Scangauge displayed 43% STM, and when I came back home, STM rose to about 48%. Regen count in the history of the Jeep was 3, and I had the last active regen some 800 miles back (approx.)

In the afternoon, I took my Jeep out again but this time on the freeway. Before I reached the freeway, Scanguage jumped up by 2% more to 50% (which is normal). After a few minutes on the freeway, I noticed that my Scanguage was showing regen on and STM was showing 79%. The active regen lasted about 8-10 minutes and when it turned off, STM was displaying 8-14% and the numbers were constantly moving in that range every few minutes. By the time I completed my commute, STM settled at around 12% when I shut off the engine.

So this was a surprising behavior (and I am actually pleased with this). Based on fellow posters observations that active regen begins when soot level hits 80%, I thought I had a long way to go before I see an active regen.

So here is my theory on active regens. It does initiate an active regen at 80% level, but it looks like it proactively does one after certain number of miles are driven without an active regen.

Hence, an active regen occurs either at 80% or 800 miles (approximation) - whichever happens sooner?
I've had at least one instance of the soot gauge getting temporarily "stuck" on one reading and then, upon cutting the engine, jumping to the correct value. Maybe that's how yours went from 50% to 79% in one jump (but without killing the engine).

to the correct level.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
In heavy equipment an active regen will happen based on time since last regen as well as the normal for soot loading.
this is to prevent soot packing in the outer circumference of the dpf when the engine is operated properly and passive regen keeps the center flowing well. I’d say jeeps use the same strategy.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I've had at least one instance of the soot gauge getting temporarily "stuck" on one reading and then, upon cutting the engine, jumping to the correct value. Maybe that's how yours went from 50% to 79% in one jump (but without killing the engine).

to the correct level.
It wasn't stuck, because every few miles I would see the levels go up and down, and predictably. In stop and go, it will rise, specially after cold start till the engine warms up, and on highways on uphill stretches it comes down when DPF temps reach above 550F. I have been keeping a close eye on STM everyday. And 750ish miles seems to be the magic number when I get an active regen.
But maybe Scangauge is not measuring the soot level above 50% correctly. Or it is not calibrated correctly so the actual level is higher than the displayed level.

I wonder if the DPF is different for RAM (more capacity) than that of the Wrangler)?

Sponsored

WILDDUX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Diesel
Mine recently had something similar occur. I was on about an 800 mile road trip, passive regens kept the soot levels very low; about after 700 miles since the last active regen, my soot level was in the mid 40s, a few minutes later I looked at my Banks Idash and it was in an active regen. It lasted about 10 minutes and dropped to the normal 12%.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Mine recently had something similar occur. I was on about an 800 mile road trip, passive regens kept the soot levels very low; about after 700 miles since the last active regen, my soot level was in the mid 40s, a few minutes later I looked at my Banks Idash and it was in an active regen. It lasted about 10 minutes and dropped to the normal 12%.
Cool. So my original theory is correct. 80% or 700+miles, whichever comes first.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
As expected, at 3745 miles odometer reading (about 800 miles from previous regen), I saw another active regen at 55% soot level. I predict the next one will be at odometer reading of ~4500 miles.
Lasted for 10 minutes or so, was continuing even when I stopped at a couple of stoplights (I turned ESS off of course). Regen stopped when soot dropped to 8%.

Right before the regen initiated, soot level reading went up to 79% from 55%

Jeep Wrangler JL An active regen happened below 51% soot in the DPF 0EE7B030-938A-497A-A6DA-50FB74BBC26E_1_105_c

Last edited:

Sponsored

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Cool. So my original theory is correct. 80% or 700+miles, whichever comes first.
Yup. I noticed the same. I’m curious whether It’s engine hours or mileage. I’ve had it happen from high 700’s up through mid 800’s.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Yup. I noticed the same. I’m curious whether It’s engine hours or mileage. I’ve had it happen from high 700’s up through mid 800’s.
Yeah, could be engine hours too instead of miles since the miles range is not precise. Also might depend on the computer waiting for an opportune situation once certain miles or engine hours are reached, like driving at a certain speed without stopping for some amount of time. It may not start the regen if it observes stop and go driving.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
In heavy equipment an active regen will happen based on time since last regen as well as the normal for soot loading.
this is to prevent soot packing in the outer circumference of the dpf when the engine is operated properly and passive regen keeps the center flowing well. I’d say jeeps use the same strategy.
this is correct. a regen will occur after a set period of time or dpf levels. Ram is the same way. @Capricorn