AMSOIL are you folks believers?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I’m not sure where you were going with your comment, but if it’s that conventional has worked for them their whole lives
Yes, that’s where I was going with my comment.

I 100% agree with you that quick change oil places are absolutely terrible. I had one ruin an O2 sensor in a VW by muscling the air filer out without removing all the fasteners. Also, it’s absurdly expensive. They’re elderly and their local Jiffy Lube franchisee has been good to them, though.

Personally, I buy whatever is on sale at Wally World and have never had an issue. I don’t believe there is such a thing as “bad” synthetic oil.
Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Yes, that’s where I was going with my comment.

I 100% agree with you that quick change oil places are absolutely terrible. I had one ruin an O2 sensor in a VW by muscling the air filer out without removing all the fasteners. Also, it’s absurdly expensive. They’re elderly and their local Jiffy Lube franchisee has been good to them, though.

Personally, I buy whatever is on sale at Wally World and have never had an issue. I don’t believe there is such a thing as “bad” synthetic oil.
This, any syn meeting spec, they all do, buy it. There can be some goofy specs for bmw audi MB, but not a jeep

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I’m not an AMSOIL fan boy by any means, I do my research and find it’s price point in range with other oils I would consider. If they raise their prices I have no problem jumping ship. I find it funny people are quick to trash them without providing specifics, just an assumption that’s it’s insanely priced snake oil. The certification argument is funny too, AMSOIL has been tested by dozens of labs and people. Looking for the certification on the box reminds me of this line in Tommy Boy…
Amsoil does seem to be marketed at people who "do their own research".

The American Petroleum Institute has been around for a long time and it's not terribly expensive for Amsoil or anyone else to have their oils certified as to carry the API donut on their bottles. More than "certification", the labeling is a good way to distinguish different oil specs and weights and not be duped by an individual oil manufacturer who conducts their own tests, and telling you, absolutely, it IS the best! Imagine the number of people Amsoil could pull in WITH industry certifications, and licensing from automakers. It's really a mystery as to why Amsoil chooses not to for many of their products. It seems so easy, and yet... Hmm..... I trust that it's generally good oil, but, why the drama?

RicRecon

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
… But the Jeep moves my soul, and that is such a good feeling every time I'm in the thing!
It’s like you’re in my head. Couldn’t of said this any better than you did and I’ve also had many other brands. I’m on my fourth Jeep and it’s been the best.

Sponsored

Midwestjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Amsoil does seem to be marketed at people who "do their own research".

The American Petroleum Institute has been around for a long time and it's not terribly expensive for Amsoil or anyone else to have their oils certified as to carry the API donut on their bottles. More than "certification", the labeling is a good way to distinguish different oil specs and weights and not be duped by an individual oil manufacturer who conducts their own tests, and telling you, absolutely, it IS the best! Imagine the number of people Amsoil could pull in WITH industry certifications, and licensing from automakers. It's really a mystery as to why Amsoil chooses not to for many of their products. It seems so easy, and yet... Hmm..... I trust that it's generally good oil, but, why the drama?
Multiple AMSOIL products are API certified for those who need the little donut. Bowing out at this point as this is how all these oil debates go. Everyone is going to stick with what they’ve been doing.

OP, good luck with your oil decision.

Jeep Wrangler JL AMSOIL are you folks believers? IMG_5537

KCSgtMaj

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY24 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.6L
Occupation
Retired Marine, Master Plumber
I used to be in The vehicle oil change business. AMS Oil is probably the best synthetic motor oil around. Mobil 1 is second,

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
all i know is one of my grandfathers used Amsoil and live to be 98. the other grandfather used Mobil 1 and passed away in his mid sixties. hows that for real life experience?!
Jeep Wrangler JL AMSOIL are you folks believers? IMG_1319

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My two biggest beefs with Amsoil is price and trying to find info about its quality that is not hosted on an Amsoil website.

I can get other quality oil that has easily accessed information hosted by 3rd party websites for a fraction of the cost.
um hello? Youre getting plenty of third party info on amsoil right here in this thread!

Sponsored

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
How did you drive it so long with a failed rocker that you need new heads?
It wasn’t that long. It started pinging even with premium gas. Then sometimes misfiring (Jeep would idle shaky) then came the engine light. Then came the phone call from the dealership saying “we have the engine apart”. Probably a course of 4-5 months

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have done extended oil changes with Amsoil 0w-20 Full Synthetic (according to the Amsoil label) in my Tundra and am at 143K mi, no issues. I also use their gear oil and I think I picked up about 1 mpg over the stock Toyota gear oils.

I have no issues with their sales model. Doing my own changes and extended oil changes I save time and money in the long run.

Thank you for the video Jim. It was interesting. I watched the whole video

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I use it in the Cobra and the Jeep and have no complaints, it's price is comparable to a quality full synthetic from other brands.

Seems Oil brand is one of the most controversial topics on this forum.
Nice terminator, has been on my list for a long time to get one someday.

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like they haven't gotten over valvetrain issues still... after all the cases over the years . This is a manufacturer problem ..not an oil problem . Ridiculous but typical of chrysler.
Pete, great post and I have to agree with you. I baby this Jeep, I don’t put a load on the engine until the idle kicks down. So I basically let it warm up even in the summer. Use quality oil, never lug the engine (stick shift), very few cold starts, (garage kept), always disable that stupid ESS. I don’t know what I could’ve done different.
Here’s a pic of my cam. There are 6 yellow reflections. Check the 3rd yellow you can actually see the wear.

Jeep Wrangler JL AMSOIL are you folks believers? IMG_5737

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Multiple AMSOIL products are API certified for those who need the little donut.
Unless something has changed recently, the OE line is the only one that is API certified and OE is the "bottom" of the Amsoil line and does nothing that Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline, Castrol and the list goes on cannot do as well if not better for less money.

A weasel worded answer if ever there was one for why Amsoil does not have API licensing for all of their oils (https://www.amsoil.com/t/faq/):

Why doesn’t AMSOIL license all of its synthetic motor oils?

Answer: If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing (see the Ask AMSOIL entry above for more information).
Sponsored