My current setup consists of the following

OEM 8.4"
RF DSR1 being used strictly for Preamps
Helix DSP.2
Alpine PDX-V9
Morel Maximo 6.5 Components in the stock knee and Dash location
Morel Maximo 6.5 Coax in the sound bar
JL 13TW5v2 in a custom fiberglass enclosure

I currently have the Amp and DSP mounted under the driver seat and its ok but I have decided that I want to move it to the back. I like to keep everything very neat and tidy so I am trying to think of the best way to bring all of my wiring the bin with the minimal amount of cutting yet still keeping it under the factory trim. In the pic that I attached put red arrows pointing to where I would trim which is marked in yellow and then under the tie dawn bracket. I am thinking power and ground to the driver side and RCA and Speaker wires to the Passenger side. But I am not sold on that Idea...I would really like to come in from underneath so I can hide all of the wiring but I don't know how I would get all the wiring back inside the Jeep.

But I am looking for ideas and suggestions on what everyone else has done or any ideas on how they would do it. I am completely open to doing it completely different from what I am thinking.

Jeep Wrangler JL Amplifier mounting in Rear Storage Bin RearStorageBin
Sponsored

Last edited:

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
Just food for thought, that bin sits right over the exhaust muffler and gets quite warm. Another user has mentioned his amp shutting off on a longer drive due to overheating with no air circulation inside.

As to your request, I don't think there are any drain plugs until you get up towards the front of the car if you were to go out the bottom/side of the storage cubby.
This seems to be the go-to vid for any deep dive on the rear hatch, you can get a better idea of what you're working with. JL Interior Removal

On a side note, can we get more pics of that fiberglass sub enclosure? It looks like you're molded all the way back to the rear hatch hinges! Any idea on internal volume?

OP
OP
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
That's a good point and I did consider the heat and I am going to line the exterior of the tub in Thermo-Tec and I have a Gibson exhaust which is much smaller then the factory muffler so I should have sufficient airflow under there. I had the PDX in a enclosed bin under the seat in my F350 so it should be good(Fingers Crossed).

That's a good video, I have had most of the interior out already to do the initial install and the closest one I remember is up under the front seats, so after some more thought yesterday I think I came up with an idea. I think I am going to space out the Tie Down strips and cargo cover about 1/4" which should give me just enough space to run the wiring up and under the them and not have to cut/trim anything. And instead of going to the corners I am thinking run everything up the back middle of the storage bin and then once its to the lip power and ground to the left and speaker/RCA to the right.

Still open to suggestions if anyone has better ideas.

As for the box its just about 1 cuft give or take .05...its just tough to get an exact number since its such a complex shape. Here are some pics of it installed, I forgot to take pics before it was mounted but I will get some next time I take it out.

JeepSub3.jpg

JeepSub2.jpg

jeepSub1.jpg

PXL_20201119_122138049.jpg

PXL_20201119_122202391.jpg

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
Sounds like you've got a solid plan, would love to see how it turns out!

That sub enclosure came out pretty clean did you do the fab work yourself? I'm impressed you managed to retain most-all of the cargo area in a stealth box and get that much volume. Nicely done! Oh and the fact that it's a friggin 13" haha

OP
OP
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I did not build the box I had a local shop do it for me, overall they did a pretty good job.

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Just something to keep in mind, insulating a box will help to keep external heat out, but it will also keep the heat generated from inside in. Having your amp there means you have 12v power on tap. I'm not sure how to do it cleanly as I hadn't thought about it, but you could totally wire up a small 12v fan to circulate the air. Again though it may be a little tough to do and make it look good.

OP
OP
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Well its all finished and I ended up going a different route. I used cable glands to pass the wiring in and out of the tub and then routed everything up behind the taillights. The passenger side has a bit less space to work with but I only needed to run the right side speaker and subwoofer wires. The driver side has tons of room so Power/Ground, RCA's and left side speaker wire all go through there.

Overall it turned out pretty good.

PXL_20201201_192821107.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201202_192214557.NIGHT.jpg

theWidgetman

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door Sport S
I’m wanting to do pretty much the same thing but I’m a little foggy as to exactly how you routed them. Did you run them inside the vehicle up the sides and pass them outside the vehicle by the tail lights to then come into the storage pan?

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Well its all finished and I ended up going a different route. I used cable glands to pass the wiring in and out of the tub and then routed everything up behind the taillights. The passenger side has a bit less space to work with but I only needed to run the right side speaker and subwoofer wires. The driver side has tons of room so Power/Ground, RCA's and left side speaker wire all go through there.

Overall it turned out pretty good.

Jeep Wrangler JL Amplifier mounting in Rear Storage Bin PXL_20201202_192214557.NIGHT
I noticed the drain plug. Was that there or did you add it?

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That’s some beautiful wiring. Where did you get those good looking red and blue sleeves over the power wires?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
OP
OP
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thanks a lot! I have a bunch of black expandable sleeving but honestly that touch of color really makes it look way better, like ultra expensive audio equipment haha
Yeah a little bit of time and little accent's can make all the difference.
Sponsored