American Outlaw Lonestar wheels with 285/75-17 tires

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just some before and after pics of the stock wheels and the new setup. These are +10 offset and 8.5" width and the tread is perfectly even with the edge of the fender flares, while the sidewalls stick out just a bit. It's the perfectly symmetrical look in my opinion, and hopefully won't throw rocks all over my Jeep. Time will tell.

Here are some side shots. I do have the RC 2.5" lift and as you can see, the 285/75s fill up the wheel wells nicely. These are just 1/2 inch or less shorter than most 35" tires.

20180615_201236[1].jpg

20180615_202709[1].jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
The other side.

20180616_093626.jpg

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
As expected, the extra weight is very noticeable. The Jeep lugs much harder now and you can really feel the weight anytime you hit ruts or bumps in the road. Whereas the JL felt light and nimble and quick on its feet before, now it feels cumbersome and clunky. My dash was showing 22.5 MPGs in my daily driving before the switch, and as of this morning shows 19.9 MPGs.

However, the tires do roll fairly smooth down the road and there is very little noise. They'll get louder over time. Most aggressive tires do. But for now they are super quiet and surprisingly, they don't seem to pick up gravel very bad. I drive gravel roads daily, and the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires threw rocks like crazy. These aren't as bad. I didn't expect that.

I'll keep logging my mileage to try and get a true difference as time wears on. I'm running them at 30-32 PSI and the ride quality is also better than I expected. They aren't overly harsh or bouncy at all. They actually feel pretty good for a LT-E rated tire with 3 ply sidewalls.

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
As expected, the extra weight is very noticeable. The Jeep lugs much harder now and you can really feel the weight anytime you hit ruts or bumps in the road. Whereas the JL felt light and nimble and quick on its feet before, now it feels cumbersome and clunky. My dash was showing 22.5 MPGs in my daily driving before the switch, and as of this morning shows 19.9 MPGs.

However, the tires do roll fairly smooth down the road and there is very little noise. They'll get louder over time. Most aggressive tires do. But for now they are super quiet and surprisingly, they don't seem to pick up gravel very bad. I drive gravel roads daily, and the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires threw rocks like crazy. These aren't as bad. I didn't expect that.

I'll keep logging my mileage to try and get a true difference as time wears on. I'm running them at 30-32 PSI and the ride quality is also better than I expected. They aren't overly harsh or bouncy at all. They actually feel pretty good for a LT-E rated tire with 3 ply sidewalls.
I found the stock shocks on the Sahara didn't handle the heavier tire+rim combination well. Upgrading the shocks helped a lot as well as getting extended control arms front and back.

I don't find mine "lugs" at all. Doesn't stay in 8th as easy but other wise lots of gears for the tranny to play with.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Why no center caps? I got the same ones.
Center caps are in the garage. My 10 year old and I both think they are ugly and the wheels look better without them. However, the actual reason I initially have left them off is that after a few hundred miles you're supposed to re-torque all the lug nuts, so I left the center caps off until I do that just to save a few minutes of time.
Sponsored