American Adventure Labs Fender Retention Kit install video

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Pretty sweet kit, meant for the split /highlined Rubi fenders, but I made it work on mine as a whole.
Documented it in case it helps anyone else. LMK if you have any questions! Drop a Sub if you liked it.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Not that it matters but in the interest of terminology that's a hex head bolt.

A socket head bolt - generally known as a socket head cap screw or SHCS - takes a hex key and has a head that looks literally like a socket.

OP
OP
4LowPhoto

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not that it matters but in the interest of terminology that's a hex head bolt.

A socket head bolt - generally known as a socket head cap screw or SHCS - takes a hex key and has a head that looks literally like a socket.
Thanks. Shooting an install video takes 3x as long as the install, and sometimes details get mixed up. I'm sure anyone that needed it figured that out. lol

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I watched this video at work, with no sound, so forgive me if you mentioned it in the video. But why would you want to permanently attach the fenders rather than have them break away? With this setup, if you hit something with the fender, you'd likely crack it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I watched this video at work, with no sound, so forgive me if you mentioned it in the video. But why would you want to permanently attach the fenders rather than have them break away? With this setup, if you hit something with the fender, you'd likely crack it.
I believe it's because of the considerable loss of rigidity that comes with removing the bottom half of the fender, which could possibly cause them to blow off or start flapping at highway speeds. The factory pop clips allow a bit of jiggle, whereas the bolt and wide washer helps to strengthen the friction joint. I've yet to do this modification, so these are just my non hands on thoughts.

Edit to add:
I just now watched the OP's video. My response above was with the assumption that the fender was gutted for installing the highline fender lights.

With fully intact factory fenders, I can see why one would question losing the benefit of the pop clips. I personally would only use this retention hardware when chopping the fender for the highlines

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the gutted fenders and with the Quake sequential lights underneath the rigidity isn’t really an issue. There is no circumstance where I wouldn’t want my fenders to break away upon an impact. I can stop and pick them up far cheaper than replacing or body shop work to deal with a messed up fender.

my .02

OP
OP
4LowPhoto

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I believe it's because of the considerable loss of rigidity that comes with removing the bottom half of the fender, which could possibly cause them to blow off or start flapping at highway speeds. The factory pop clips allow a bit of jiggle, whereas the bolt and wide washer helps to strengthen the friction joint. I've yet to do this modification, so these are just my non hands on thoughts.

Edit to add:
I just now watched the OP's video. My response above was with the assumption that the fender was gutted for installing the highline fender lights.

With fully intact factory fenders, I can see why one would question losing the benefit of the pop clips. I personally would only use this retention hardware when chopping the fender for the highlines
When I installed the Rubicon fenders, using the pop clips, they all seemed to come loose. The fender kept sliding around and scratching the paint so the kit was necessary for me to literally keep the fender on, lol. Also it is nice to have to be able to unbolt the fender and not mess with the damn clips.

Side note, I hit a tree with my stock sport fenders, breaking the clips and damaging the fender. So not even the clips saved it, if I hot something hard enough it would still break these out.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed the Rubicon fenders, using the pop clips, they all seemed to come loose. The fender kept sliding around and scratching the paint so the kit was necessary for me to literally keep the fender on, lol. Also it is nice to have to be able to unbolt the fender and not mess with the damn clips.

Side note, I hit a tree with my stock sport fenders, breaking the clips and damaging the fender. So not even the clips saved it, if I hot something hard enough it would still break these out.
I'm definitely adding this retention hardware kit into the mix when it comes time to gut the fenders for more clearance and to install their highline LEDs and fender liners.

Thanks for the great video!
Sponsored