American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Nice write up! Do you have the dimensions of the platform? The dimensions listed on AAL's website do not look correct.
The base platform (not the shelf) is 38 3/8" wide (approximately 1/2" space on each side) and 33 3/8" deep (interior edge is barely touching the rear side of the back seat).

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The IronMan4x4 900mm twin drawers fit great in my 2dr JL.

The twin drawers have three 1” high cross members. If you mount the drawers 1/2” from the rear most edge of the AAL platform, you have plenty of room on the back (tailgate area) and front (I can still recline!).

Next up, I need to secure the battery and inverter. Lots of room for tent, mattress, sleeping bag. Etc.

My 22” Partners Steel stove and all my kitchen stuff fit in the left drawer. My recovery tool and tools and MORRFlate all fit in the right drawer with room to spare.

The storage space for the 900mm twin drawers is much higher than the other companies.

Room for two Expedition 134s and more. What a difference it makes having those drawers!

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
The base platform (not the shelf) is 38 3/8" wide (approximately 1/2" space on each side) and 33 3/8" deep (interior edge is barely touching the rear side of the back seat).

Do you have a picture showing the platform clearance near the rear cupholders and back of the seats? I am looking to see if there will be enough room to have an underseat bag with the platform installed.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a picture showing the platform clearance near the rear cupholders and back of the seats? I am looking to see if there will be enough room to have an underseat bag with the platform installed.
I have the IronMan4x4 900mm twin drawers installed, they extend 1-2" past the edge of the AAL platform (which has a 1" upward lip). I'm able to extend the driver/passenger seats all the way back and recline.

Sponsored

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Sorry for the confusion. It is only in the cargo area behind the rear seat. With the back of the rear seat in the upright position, it barely touches. You can see how far it extends in the picture with the rear seat folded down.
Jeep Wrangler JL American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide AAL.JPG
Platform at back side of the rear seat

Last edited:

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
After a few camping trips, I knew I needed a drawer, shelf, and refer slide system. I wanted something rugged, stoutly-built out of metal, a simple bolt-on system, an adjustable-height shelf, and something that I could take out in an hour or two if needed. I zeroed in on American Adventure Lab’s Modular Adaptable Storage System (MASS) with an adjustable-height shelf, fridge slide, and drawers. Not wanting buyer’s remorse, I made an appointment and drove six hours to their location to see their system. When I got home, I ordered one. It is a fantastic system— stoutly-built; precisely engineered; fits like a glove; the slide mechanism is smooth; and the quality of the build, fit, and finish is top-notch.

I have a 37-quart ARB refrigerator with the insulating transit bag cover. When pulling out the slide, the top of the transit bag just barely misses the bottom of the shelf for the first five inches (the latch area) then it clears the bottom of the shelf by about 1/4" the rest of the way out. The bottom of the refer slide is at the same level as the bottom of the drawers. I got two six-inch drawers because the three-inch drawers just looked too small to hold much. The drawers have three removable metal dividers that are cleverly engineered to come out easily, remain rigidly in place, and can be secured with a zip tie at the base to eliminate rattling.

The gap between the top of the base plate and the bottom of the refer slide and drawers is 1/8" (the thickness of the angle iron in the slider/drawer frame supporting the slide/drawers).

The distance between the plastic at the rear tailgate opening and the bottom of the base plate is 5/8" at the edges and 1.25" at the center (the plastic is higher at the sides).

I’m no mechanic and never worked on a vehicle before getting a Jeep. I can do bolt-on accessories (LOD front and rear bumpers, Warn winch, Genesis dual battery system, trail lights, CB radio, Outback tailgate table, SPod, and ARB dual compressor)—especially if there are good, detailed YouTube videos. There is a two-part video in great detail of someone in Singapore (Jeep JL Wrangler Cargo Shelf - American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Cargo Shelf Installation - Part 1 and -Part 2) installing the shelf in this system that mounts to the roll bar.

The instructions are good. The guys at AAL are super helpful and will answer any installation questions you have. The fitting that connects the components together was a little tricky to figure out but once you figure it out, everything should fit together smoothly. The bolts securing the rubber feet of refrigerator are re-installed through the slide so the refrigerator is bolted to the slide.

I plugged the refrigerator into the 12-volt outlet at the rear of the Jeep. The plug makes light contact with the insulating transit bag cover (not enough to damage the plug when sliding the refrigerator in and out). I’m going to install an ARB Fridge Wiring Kit with Threaded Socket (Part Number 10900027) at a convenient location near the rear of the refrigerator to eliminate this issue plus the refrigerator really needs an appropriately-sized wire.

I hope this helps. Post or direct mail me with any questions.

Thanks for the detailed description!
I am looking at the MASS shelf myself, and I am wondering whether it will work with the soft top. On their homepage, AAL mention that a slight modification to the bracket attached to the roll-bar (an additional hole) was required to install the soft-top. From your picture it appears that this hole is now standard?
Would you mind sending me a close up pic of the bracket attached to the roll-bar, looking from the cargo area towards the side window?

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Thanks for the detailed description!
I am looking at the MASS shelf myself, and I am wondering whether it will work with the soft top. On their homepage, AAL mention that a slight modification to the bracket attached to the roll-bar (an additional hole) was required to install the soft-top. From your picture it appears that this hole is now standard?
Would you mind sending me a close up pic of the bracket attached to the roll-bar, looking from the cargo area towards the side window?
Let me know if you need anything else.
Jeep Wrangler JL American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide Wide.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide Close-up.JPG

Close-up of top bolt and unused hole
Jeep Wrangler JL American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide Top.JPG

Close-up of bottom bolt and unused hole
Jeep Wrangler JL American Adventure Lab's base and fridge slide Bottom.JPG

Last edited:

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Any shakes, rattles, or squeaks empty and loaded? Looks like nice stuff.
It would be cool if AAL could make a 60% and 40% rear seat delete MASS system.

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
I've taken it rock crawling and down BLM dirt roads--no shakes, rattles, or squeaks. The drawers have three removable metal dividers that come out easily, remain rigidly in place, and can be secured with a zip tie at the base to eliminate rattling.

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Close-up of top bolt and unused hole

Close-up of bottom bolt and unused hole
Thank you, this is perfect. The hole allowing for soft top install is clearly visible - and my order is in!

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I mentioned it back on the first page of this thread. AAL is working on a 60% delete option for the MASS system. It sounds like they're moving along nicely with it. Not sure when it will be out though. I think it will be nice to have that option. I'm interested in how they will integrate storage options on the front side of the 60% or full delete, such as the Goose Gear system.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I’ve been looking for a system like this. From looking through the website this looks like it’ll set me back 3-4 grand. Is that correct? I really like this. Glad I stumbled across this. Thanks!

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Which fire extinguisher holder do you have?
I ordered the fire extinguisher mounting kit which includes both the bracket and the H3R NB300 mount from Cool Tech. I went to my local fire extinguisher company and bought Amerex fire extinguishers which are rated 1A:10B:C. You might be able to find the brackets for a few dollars less on Amazon, but I like dealing with small businesses trying to serve our Jeep community. I found it refreshing to be able to call and email Kendall (the owner) who answered all my questions. BTW, as a 37-year veteran of the fire service, I'd recommend a fire extinguisher rated at 1A:10B:C which I found to be the highest rating of an extinguisher that will fit the mounting kit.
Sponsored