Sponsored

Amazing discovery for camping in jeep! Or, the Lazy Man's platform.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I have a Roll-a-cot that I use for "comfortable camping" It's great. Lightweight, easy setup, waterproof, firm, and the mesh back makes summer camping much, much more pleasant.

Chopped a random 7" off the end and stuffed it into the jeep. It fits perfect!
Jeep Wrangler JL Amazing discovery for camping in jeep!  Or, the Lazy Man's platform. 20211001_150500

This changes everything! I was preparing to build a platform, but this is quick and temporary, and the seats can stay in. There's about 12" of clearance underneath, lots of room for storage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Amazing discovery for camping in jeep!  Or, the Lazy Man's platform. 20211001_150542

It tilts up a bit from the seats, maybe 3", but I prefer sleeping on a slight incline when camping anyway.
Jeep Wrangler JL Amazing discovery for camping in jeep!  Or, the Lazy Man's platform. 20211001_150602

It makes jumping into the front seat from the back more difficult, but still doable, just.

You can even put the 40% side up, though I'm still debating removing it. This does place the feet near the edge, so may need some additional thought.
Jeep Wrangler JL Amazing discovery for camping in jeep!  Or, the Lazy Man's platform. 20211001_153316

Total length is 64 3/8", if anyone wants to consider chopping up their own Roll-a-cot, but there's some leeway. This is with the passenger-side seat tilted forward and pushed mostly forward.

I'm sure other cots could work as well, but I always recommend this brand as the best cot overall. Excellent design, and offers the most storage space. Made in USA, from domestic materials.
Sponsored

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Always love seeing DIY setups. Cot looks like it fits well. It it solid, especially sitting on the seat back, or do you get a little movement?

Side note, the storage of your gear gives me anxiety. :whew: I'm sure you have a method to your madness but dang, I don't think I would be able to find anything. haha

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Always love seeing DIY setups. Cot looks like it fits well. It it solid, especially sitting on the seat back, or do you get a little movement?

Side note, the storage of your gear gives me anxiety. :whew: I'm sure you have a method to your madness but dang, I don't think I would be able to find anything. haha

Pretty solid. Doesn't move when laying on it and shifting/rolling over. With the 40% up, it is a bit close the edge, but I could tie it down or put a crossmember between the legs.

When trying to scoot into the front seat, the whole thing does want to tilt up, and dump you, but I could fix that. Getting into the front was just to see if I could do it if needs be; it's not something I'd do regularly.

Ha, my disorganization skills sometimes amaze even me.

Everything is sorted into broad categories, like cooking, clothes, weather, fire stuff, lashing stuff, attachy stuff, tapey stuff, which helps, but it's not perfect.

There are two spring-loaded aluminum hooks that I've lost for a week now. Are they part of tie-downs? Attachy things? Awning parts? I probably used them to hang a pot or something and will find them a month from now in "cooking stuff".

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The cot looks like a great solution!

I've been researching and landed on CheaperJeeperTV's design - I love that it's basically a single sheet of plywood (currently ~$65 around here) so it stores flat. I also like that he designed it to be modular, and accommodate the 60/40 split back.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Your Jeep reminds me of the REI store near me. Specifically, the center aisles. All 4 of them.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

I've been researching and landed on CheaperJeeperTV's design - I love that it's basically a single sheet of plywood (currently ~$65 around here) so it stores flat. I also like that he designed it to be modular, and accommodate the 60/40 split back.

I used cheaper Jeepers videos to build my flat form. I would suggest starting with a cheap piece of plywood or cardboard for a first run then moving to the pricey stuff. His model works but it has gaps and could be better if you use 2 sheets. I finished mine in automotive carpet.

746545F7-9733-4643-8FF8-CD7D8A0303EB.jpeg

9F81898E-4A56-49C6-BB7A-597D2D65B9B2.jpeg

F1435BCC-4468-4DB5-8388-20FB82775CFE.jpeg

84B831DD-2762-4BB7-B152-1F9A823EA598.jpeg

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU

Yep, I was on my way towards building something similar, and decided to cut the legs off the cot on a whim. I knew it didn't fit without cutting, as I tried when I first got the jeep.

Platforms seem great, but my jeep is a daily driver, so imagining installing and removing one constantly is really what made me hold off building one for so long. Heavy too.

The Roll-a-cot is 10lbs or so. Plus you save the weight of a mattress, not to mention having to deal with storing one when not in use. Way more comfortable too. I'll stick a inflatable camping pad in there for winter, but mesh back is awesome on these humid days.

I can set it up in the jeep in 5-10 minutes, most of that time just repositioning stuff. And it packs up into a 36" 6-7" diameter roll.

Havie not gone out with this setup yet, but I'm excited.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@Stormin’ Moorman man that looks so clean!

Using cardboard to make my own actual pieces is probably a good idea - especially with the price of plywood these days.

Overall, how do you like it? Do you use it often? Any regrets/suggestions (other than a test-run)?

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
@Stormin’ Moorman man that looks so clean!

Using cardboard to make my own actual pieces is probably a good idea - especially with the price of plywood these days.

Overall, how do you like it? Do you use it often? Any regrets/suggestions (other than a test-run)?
I’ll PM you.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I used cheaper Jeepers videos to build my flat form. I would suggest starting with a cheap piece of plywood or cardboard for a first run then moving to the pricey stuff. His model works but it has gaps and could be better if you use 2 sheets. I finished mine in automotive carpet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Amazing discovery for camping in jeep!  Or, the Lazy Man's platform. 84B831DD-2762-4BB7-B152-1F9A823EA598

Jeep Wrangler JL Amazing discovery for camping in jeep!  Or, the Lazy Man's platform. 84B831DD-2762-4BB7-B152-1F9A823EA598

If you don't mind my asking, what is the length of the platform from end to end?

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Your Jeep reminds me of the REI store near me. Specifically, the center aisles. All 4 of them.
I'll take that as a compliment. Only difference is my stuff doesn't get replaced every year with new versions that weigh 1oz less or have 100 lumens more, and cost an extra $20. And no energy bars.

I go to REI less and less now. They ran out of junk for me to buy. Except wool socks. Can always use more wool socks. Wait, why do they contain less and less wool but cost more and more?
Sponsored