Sponsored

Am i the only one who is bummed about this???

LMontes

First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1994 XJ
Occupation
Business Owner
That is actually one of the things I like about the fenders, I think the black trim makes it look more complete and finished.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KittyWhip

KittyWhip

First Name
TS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
You guys have made me look at this in a totally different way! Not having a Sahara before I never considered the wear and tear of that painted area. Also, seeing the full true images of the black Sahara today in other posts... I am not as mad at it as I was on the brown (I don't know the true color) Sahara.

Like I said, having a Sahara is a dream come true for me, so I am not complaining... but I can't wait to see this baby in person to fully assess.

Thanks Y'all! #KittyWhip

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Absolutely hate painted fenders and hardtops. Gimme plastic that can get beat up all day in those areas.
You know those are molded in color, right?

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
You know those are molded in color, right?
You sure about that? Even if they have colored resin they need to be painted to actually match the rest of the body. That wouldn’t show damage as easily but it still would.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
So... It was written as such by a fellow poster on here. But on further thought, color molded not only cannot be confirmed, but really doesn't make sense given the metallic colors coming...

I hereby facepalm myself. :facepalm:

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
If you look at the standard options list, there is a difference between the standard fender for the sahara and the rubicon.
The Sahara says "body color fender flares".
The Rubicon says "molded-in-color fender flares".
That is where it came from.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
That is where it came from
Interesting. Can’t wait to see what that looks like. You can’t really mold in metallic cheaply and color matching is a bitch between paint dye lots and resin/pigment dye lots. Hmmm. One more thing to find out about in a couple of weeks.

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
That is actually one of the things I like about the fenders, I think the black trim makes it look more complete and finished.
I agree, they give it that finished look.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you look at the standard options list, there is a difference between the standard fender for the sahara and the rubicon.
They sure look painted on the Rubi in pictures. Maybe they'll be more rugged. If they are like painted flares, then I'm going to do what Ape suggested and put clear film protector over the front of the rear flares, where rocks and sand really beat the hell out of them.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect the change in location may have something to do with a visibility law/requierment and might also be why we have/had the gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the fender. It's possible that something changed somewhere and a new visibility requirement forced the move.

I noticed in the export version there is no longer a gap which makes me think that this might be the reason for the relocation.

Below is a post from Wikipedia.....

Turn signals—formally called "direction indicators" or "directional signals", and informally known as "directionals", "blinkers", "indicators" or "flashers"—are blinking lamps mounted near the left and right front and rear corners of a vehicle, and sometimes on the sides or on the side mirrors of a vehicle, activated by the driver on one side of the vehicle at a time to advertise intent to turn or change lanes towards that side.[21][45][46][47]

220px-Turn_signals_working.gif

Front and side turn signals illuminated.
Electric turn-signal lights date from as early as 1907.[48] The modern flashing turn signal was patented in 1938 and later most major automobile manufacturers offered this feature.[49] As of 2013 most countries require turn signals on all new vehicles that are driven on public roadways.[10][21] Alternative systems of hand signals were used earlier, and remain common for bicycles. Hand signals are also sometimes used when regular vehicle lights are malfunctioning or for older vehicles that are not so equipped.

220px-Automotive-lighting-Apollo-moving.jpg

The Japanese Trafficator deploys to extend from the vehicle's side to indicate a turn in that direction.
Some cars from the 1920s to early 1960s used retractable semaphores called trafficators rather than flashing lights. They were commonly mounted high up behind the front doors and swung out horizontally. However, they were fragile and could be easily broken off and also had a tendency to stick in the closed position. These can be fitted with flashing lights as an upgrade.

As with all vehicle lighting and signalling devices, turn-signal lights must comply with technical standards that stipulate minimum and maximum permissible intensity levels, minimum horizontal and vertical angles of visibility, and minimum illuminated surface area to ensure that they are visible at all relevant angles, do not dazzle those who view them, and are suitably conspicuous in conditions ranging from full darkness to full direct sunlight.[10][21]

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
So should I un-facepalm myself?

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I think the jury is still out. May need to leave it there until Nov 29th.
Sponsored