Sponsored

Am I the odd person out for wanting/preferring a soft top?

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. :rock: Soft top only here too! Loved the versatility of it. Most hard top owners I know hardly ever take their top off due to it being too much work. (So they say)
Special ordered mine as it’s also a manual and finding a soft top only with manual just doesn’t exist on the lot.
Sponsored

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It probably depends on where folks live and if they have the ability to store a HT for summer.
If you rent where you going to put it?
I have a soft top to put on mine, wife's has the sunrider.

I guess if you live in area with mild winter, soft top only is an option. I see a lot of HT where folks take out the freedom panels.

I would never buy one without HT for winter and the wiper/defroster etc
Makes sense... but I'd switch the seasons around. People buy hardtops here for summertime. It's too hot to go topless.
Winter time, the top stays open for months (park in the garage at night).

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
If you want to feel like an odd-ball, try asking for this:

2-Door Sport (not Sport-S, not Rubicon)
Soft-Top
Manual Transmission
Tow Package
A/C

Those first 3 especially will make any salesman's head explode.

I ended up ordering exactly that (w/LSD) & couldn't be happier with it.
I also ordered a 2 door sport, soft top, manual transmission, and AC. I didn't get the tow package but did add the deep tint to the soft top. Living in TX, you need something to block that sun.

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
If I had to choose, it would be a premium soft top.

I have both, but don't anticipate putting the hard top back on until it snows.

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited / 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
I love the soft top, have it on my 08 Unlimited, there was no question when I bought it soft top all the way. The wife drives the 19 Unlimited and she wanted a hard top, I agreed since it is "hers." But if you have ever been out on a humid day 50/50 raij chance, the soft is the way to go...a little cooler in the winter, but nothing a hoodie and beanie can't fix. Great thing about Jeeps, you can get what you want and suits you!

Sponsored

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU; 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie; 2019 Jeep Cherokee
I bought mine with a soft top and I prefer soft top over hard top

Slick2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I'm trying to decide between hard and soft top and I see none of the soft top owners in the thread mention getting broken into which is my main concern. It just seems like softops would be a magnet for thieves who couldn't resist a peek inside when they see one. I guess owners here are either careful where they park or rarely leave anything worth stealing in the jeep? I've got a friend close by where I could leave a hardtop if I wanted it off so thats what I'm leaning towards getting.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm trying to decide between hard and soft top and I see none of the soft top owners in the thread mention getting broken into which is my main concern. It just seems like softops would be a magnet for thieves who couldn't resist a peek inside when they see one. I guess owners here are either careful where they park or rarely leave anything worth stealing in the jeep? I've got a friend close by where I could leave a hardtop if I wanted it off so thats what I'm leaning towards getting.
This is exactly why I have a hard top.

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I totally agree with ordering a new jeep with the soft top. It’s a shame you can’t get the duel top option with a 21. I was all set to order my 21 Rubi with the upgraded soft top, but the lack of security steered me to the hard top. My plan is to purchase an aftermarket soft top in the spring and hang the hard top in the garage. I’ll probably only use it when we stay overnight in the city.
Jeeps and soft tops go together :)

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I see OP was in Houston, TX....I think if I lived there I'd be soft top all day.

But in 7 months of crappy weather a year Buffalo, NY, not sure the soft top makes as much sense.

Hopefully within the next 10 years I'll be able to move south and if that happens, I'll probably feel much better about the soft top or even sky one touch top.

Sponsored

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I have dual top - and I go topless during the summer. I do put on my soft top at the end of summer if I am doing a few trips but I am happy with my hardtop for the rest of the years.

Besides it can be a bit stressful to have soft top - I always treated soft top as topless when it comes to putting things away since people can easily get into your Jeep and are MORE susceptible to theft if your soft top is on (cause they cannot see whats inside). With hard top I can leave my junk and not worry about anything! :like:

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I treat my soft top like I do other vehicles. Don’t typically leave anything valuable in it. Getting a lock box for under seat and console. Getting security deck for trunk area. When I lived in Houston had my suv broken in to twice so I’ve learned. If they want in it doesn’t matter what it is

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
My 4th Jeep in 20 years, soft top only!! I lived in Boston for 3 of them, year round soft top and now I live in Atlanta. I will never buy a hard top personally.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Nope. :rock: Soft top only here too! Loved the versatility of it. Most hard top owners I know hardly ever take their top off due to it being too much work. (So they say)
Special ordered mine as it’s also a manual and finding a soft top only with manual just doesn’t exist on the lot.
I got lucky and found 2 softop manuals on lots back in 2018. Mine was actually on the way to the lot. I snagged it before anyone drove it and could have screwed up the clutch.
Sponsored

Last edited: