Sponsored

Am I the odd person out for wanting/preferring a soft top?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
If the soft top came with a rear window wiper I would have got a soft top. The soft top is easier to open.
Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I live in Wisconsin (we had 3 days last year where it was -50) and soft top year round. The JL soft top is miles better than my JK soft top. The boy and I love to run top down and mostly use safari mode all summer.
Oddly enough, I rarely ever saw a JK with a soft top locally but have seen more and more JL's with soft tops. My soft top isn't any noisier than my son's JL hardtop. I'm currently looking to get the Bestop trektop ultra.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Nope, your a real Jeeper.
Posers have Hard tops and sky one touch tops.

I'm just kidding, their not posers lol

I will personally never understand paying extra for a top you can't take off at will, on a Jeep.
Your never topless, and your never off road...why exactly did you buy a Jeep?

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I've owned 4 Jeep in 25 years... Never owned a hardtop and never will. The convenience of throwing the soft top down in a few minutes at any time is invaluable for me.

Edit: This includes 3 of the 4 owned in Boston and parked outside when it snows, never had an issue.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
Of all the dealerships within a couple of hours of me that I have been to in the past couple of months trying to figure out exactly what I want when I order, I believe I have seen 1 or 2 for sale with the soft top on it. I have been told by a salesman that a soft top Jeep usually is sold within a few days of it arriving, because all the salesmen have list of people to call if a soft top comes in.

One of the things I am trying to decide right now is whether it is a good idea to have a soft top if vehicle is going to be towed. I am looking at getting a motorhome in the next 3-5 years, and have been told by others that they got hard top because turbulence off the back end of motorhome is pretty bad. Anyone out there tow a soft top Jeep behind a motorhome without any problems?

Sponsored

gunny71

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2door stingray rubicon 2012 Jk 2door sport
I bought mine off the lot 3 weeks ago, all I could find were hard tops. Dealer told me at the time that there were only 55 2dr Rubicon on lots in Texas, all hard top. My soft top came in yesterday, putting it on today. Can't wait!

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Your never topless, and your never off road...why exactly did you buy a Jeep?
This isn’t shaming people or claiming they *shouldn’t* own a Jeep. Go for it. Your money.

I’m just baffled and trying to understand your motivations when you don’t use it.

It’s like buying a house and only living in an RV in the driveway. Or owning a boat that never gets wet.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If you lived in Canada you wouldn’t be so baffled with people driving around with hard tops.

You have to realize that others have different situation and needs than you, I remember that my mother used to tell me, “next time you judge someone, be considerate that they may not have all the advantages and none of the disadvantages that you have.”

Last edited:

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
It probably depends on where folks live and if they have the ability to store a HT for summer.
If you rent where you going to put it?
I have a soft top to put on mine, wife's has the sunrider.

I guess if you live in area with mild winter, soft top only is an option. I see a lot of HT where folks take out the freedom panels.

I would never buy one without HT for winter and the wiper/defroster etc

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
You tell me. Maybe you can figure it out without me having to roll it up like a newspaper and smack you over the nose with it.
Yes I read your irreverent comment in which you replied to a different user in a completely different context. And now just trying to play word salad. (How convenient of you to edit the rest of the paragraph out)

I never said nobody should ever drive without hardtops, I merely said it isn’t so surprising in Canada, considering the weather. I still don’t see what I’m wrong about exactly, and honest I don’t really care.

I see you are not here for a conversation but rather for a fight, you must get along well in life. Well. No need to reply because you are in ignore list. Enjoy your day! :like:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Nope. I specifically ordered the basic soft top. I love the design of the JL soft top. It's so easy to flip it up and down when compared to my TJ. But I do have a 2 car garage, so my soft top doesn't see the harsh Ohio winter too often :like:
Sponsored