Sponsored

Am I the odd person out for wanting/preferring a soft top?

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
I'm in Maryland
Soft top only for me. Jeep came with a hard top and I traded even-up for a premium soft top. I always only run a soft top on my Jeeps.
Sponsored

EVMIII

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired, USAF
I drag mine behind my RV and needed it to be a secure as possible. Hard top is more durable for all those miles. I liked the flexibility of a soft top on previously owned Jeeps but at this point the hardtop with the freedom panels works for me.

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2DR JL Sport (Sold); 2022 JLU Sport S ordered
If you want to feel like an odd-ball, try asking for this:

2-Door Sport (not Sport-S, not Rubicon)
Soft-Top
Manual Transmission
Tow Package
A/C

Those first 3 especially will make any salesman's head explode.

I ended up ordering exactly that (w/LSD) & couldn't be happier with it.
I was that odd ball too. I ended up finding one (minus the tow package) with the LSD also, but I had to go halfway across the country for it.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Premium Soft Top only. Otherwise, why have a Wrangler? With Gobi roof rack you can put extra cargo on top if you wanted and still take the back windows off. I have a JFTop as a rear deck enclosure.

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I wanted a soft top but I didn't want to deal with trees poking hole(s) in it, and it geta too damn hot in FL during the summer. However in the better months the hard top is off, and Wranglers look 100x better with no top than a sleeping bag rolled up on the back lol.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Im in LA, in jeep central. Where the weather is awesome year round. I see way more hard tops than soft tops.

attilars

First Name
Attila Szilagyi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, 997.2 S
One of the reasons I ordered was because I could not find any dealer builds with a soft top. I did end up ordering with dual top, mainly just because it is so much more expensive to buy afterwards and figured on some occasions a may want a hard top. I expect to have the soft top on most of the time. Really part of what I love about the platform.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
I bought my JL used. If I would have bought new, I would have absolutely ordered it with a soft top. I still consider doing an even trade for one.

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
My JK came with a hard top only. I quickly ordered a soft top because I like going topless and no doors in the summer.

I ordered my JLUR with the dual top package. I put the hard top on anywhere between late november/december when Colorado starts getting into the negatives and take it off late march/april. The soft top is on the rest of the time.

If I lived in a place that was 60+ year round, I would go with a soft top only.

Sponsored

mlugo.apx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
Nope, we just ordered our JLUR 2021 with the Premium Soft Top. We didn't want to hassle (the wife's and my opinion) with a hard top removal and storage. This also means we are more likely to ride around with the top down.

--Mike

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think you'll get more soft tops on this forum than in the general public because we are more of an enthusiast group. Which is not to say more soft tops than hard tops on this forum, but possibly more than what you see on the road depending on where you live.

Personally, I haven't had a hard top since 1995:

1973 CJ5: Soft top, soft doors
1993 YJ: Soft top, half doors
2004 TJ Unlimited (2 door): Soft top
2020 JLUR: Soft top

Oh, and the last three were/are in Wisconsin and Chicago. No problems with heat. ;)

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Considering how easy it is to put down the top versus the JK I am on team soft top. Have driven more with my top down in my jl versus the JK. With the JK I wante to make sure it was sunny for 5 days to justify the work to put the top down. JL can be a day to day decision.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I don’t off road so a Jeep is all about being a convertible for me. My first one was a hard top because I was worried about safety and I regretted it. I now have the premium soft top and I love it so much! It doesn’t look all plastic like the older tops. I’ll never buy a hard top again. I go windowless and love putting the top down at nights and overcast days. :LOL:

When I was looking for a Jeep literally nobody around me had a two door soft top, everyone tried to sell me on the hard top so I had to order one with a soft top. When I see hard tops driving around I always think it’s such a shame they don’t take advantage of one of the best things about their Jeeps.
Sponsored