Sponsored

Am I the odd person out for wanting/preferring a soft top?

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Dual tops for me, and since we have 4 real seasons here in Chicagoland, that's the way to do it IMO. I do miss the security, quieter highway conditions, and most of all, flip up tailgate of the HT in the summer, but stripping the Jeep down and going naked makes it all worth it.

50185733171_a265785ee1_c.jpg
Naked Jeep by Chris Stack, on Flickr
Sponsored

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
I've always ordered full soft top none of that hard top shit... I'm in the Northeast and try finding a dealer who orders just a soft top few and far between yet everyone I've had all 7 Jeeps the top is warm, doesn't leak, and the heater works!

nam5146

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Wrangler Rubicon
I also went with just a soft-top. I love it! I was worried at first as this was my first Jeep. But I think it was a great idea. I live in Pennsylvania, where winters really aren't that terrible, so I figure, use the heater!

I also love the idea of taking it on road trips (doing this week!!! - see you soon Moab) and being able to take the top down once at the location and not have to carry around lots of pieces.

I think everyone has their own preference, sometimes I would love the hardtop for the peace of mind/security. When I do go on road trips, I have some expensive gear in my Jeep, but I've just learned to stay in the better parts of towns.

I wouldn't trade my soft top in for anything!

Last edited:

Sgt Pickles

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
When I bought mine last month, inventory was crazy low and I needed out of a car immediately. I couldn’t find a Sahara with dual tops and the 3.6. I settled for the hardtop and 3.6. Will be getting soft top next week.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
I wouldn't with under the garage door with soft top and so I had no choice.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
My original plan was to buy my JL with the hardtop, and then order a trektop cause I love the fastback look. However I found a JLUR with the exact configuration and color except for the hardtop, and the dealer gave me a great deal so I wouldn't have to order it. Plans changed for my build so decided to keep my soft top and not get the trektop due to the loss of storage space. If it wasn't for the super loud wind noise after putting my rack and rtt, I wouldn't have swapped it for a hardtop.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Easy call when you live in Florida - premium soft top is all I needed.

DogplasmaPeopleplasma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner Trail Premium....2021 JLUR
After owning numerous YJ's off and on since 1990, I got completely tired of swapping tops so I am patiently awaiting a 2021 JLUR to arrive with a Sky One Touch top. My, how the Jeep factory option choices have changed since 1994 LOL

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I think our plan is to do tonnoue and bikini, with an emergency cover under the rear bench.

Then hardtop here in the months it's over 100 degrees.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
To answer OP's Question: No. I've had dual tops on all of my Jeeps.

I ordered dual tops: Because I live in the Northeast, and I despise the snow/ cold weather. Hard top has always been easier to clean off and keep the snow/ice out in my own experience. I also know it's much more difficult/ expensive/ a logistical nightmare to get a hard top second hand/ aftermarket around these parts.
I also know there are maybe 2 aftermarket soft tops that will stack up to the quality of OEM, and I didn't want to spend almost as much money on those, or wait for them to come in, so I ordered a Soft top too. I've actually used the JLUR soft top WAY more (open, or down) than my TJR soft top (I only ever took the windows out because putting the top completely up or down for anything less than the full day was a royal pain in the ass).

That said, If i lived in a climate where it was 50+ the entire year? I'd be soft top only, probably.

Hard top only is pretty popular for a lot of people, I'm guessing it's sort of because for "normal people" (lol) who buy Wranglers, it works. They can drive it around like a normal vehicle and take the top off on that one odd weekend a month it's nice enough. Hard top 4 door Jeeps also fill in the role of spiritual successor to the old wagon Jeeps when they were solid axle (Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneers, etc). Hard top is pretty popular with the overlanding crowd too. I see it's purpose and appeal, and it's pretty smart- just not my thing.

Also: I feel like I need to put this disclaimer out there: if you're shaming people and docking "Jeep points" for driving around with their AC on and their windows up: you're an asshole- full stop. You don't know their story and it's none of your business. Stay in your lane.

Red Rock N Roll

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
International Quality Control Manager
I looked for months here in Phoenix to find a nice used Wrangler Unlimited JL with a soft top cuz I didn't have enough room in my garage to hoist a hard top to the ceiling. There were a few soft tops out there but feel very lucky to have found a 2018 JLU with only 13,000 miles on it and a soft top. Love the look, and it is no more noisy than my 2-door 2011 Rubicon with a hard top.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Do you have any more pictures of how you tie down/velcro the back? That's a really neat idea. Thanks so much!
I don’t have any more, but that pic just cuts off the view of the bottom window bar. I wrap the straps around it, too, to keep the top low. It makes a big difference when looking out the back for the insane wannabe speed racers around here.

moniquehun

First Name
Monique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
My 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport came with a hard top and soft one

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I don’t have any more, but that pic just cuts off the view of the bottom window bar. I wrap the straps around it, too, to keep the top low. It makes a big difference when looking out the back for the insane wannabe speed racers around here.
Ah I see, so you keep that window bar on. That makes sense!
Sponsored