Sponsored

Am I the odd person out for wanting/preferring a soft top?

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I ordered mine with the soft top and have it down as much as possible.

It makes a trip to the nursery easy :LOL:!
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I the odd person out for wanting/preferring a soft top? E82B2C96-7E92-4267-BB2B-CC851DB42028-X3
What's that sunshade thing you got there? And are the straps on the back a stock thing?

Re: the topic generally, I did not and do not want a hard top, so I have the premium top on my Rubicon. I live in the mid-Atlantic and while sometimes the winters can be bad, it's been a while since a truly bad one (2016?) and I got the cold weather package, so all the important stuff will be warm and toasty lol.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
No you are not. I ordered mine with the hard top as I like the look on the four door, and installed a winch hoist which is great. However, not going topless right now as it's just damn hot outside for my personal taste. I sold the hard top on my TJ and ran soft top though, which I loved. If I had another Jeep I would likely get a soft top.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
No you are not. I ordered mine with the hard top as I like the look on the four door, and installed a winch hoist which is great. However, not going topless right now as it's just damn hot outside for my personal taste. I sold the hard top on my TJ and ran soft top though, which I loved. If I had another Jeep I would likely get a soft top.
We have Two hardtops and panels hanging around, one from a 2013, one from a 2015, They were removed and never reinstalled. We ordered our 2018 JL soft top only. Glad three of them are not in the way now. Year round soft tops is what we run on the 2013 and 2018. The 2015 was totaled in a T Bone roll over but the hard top was not damaged... LOL

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
Having had six prior Jeep Wranglers from TJs to JK/Us to now a JLUR I learned early on that I spent more days with the soft top on then off. Had to live with all the negatives though of higher sound levels, cold, hot and wet all year round. To me the few days a year of “top down fun” was not worth it especially when the new three piece hardtop designs was introduced on the Jk/U. These days at most all I need is to remove the front panels because that’s the extent of open air fun I care to have. Lots of folks like me out there and that’s why you see so many hard tops.

Now I am NOT saying the hard top looks better as I love the rugged look of the soft top more and so do a lot of Jeep owner with hard tops. Just for us we have other wants and needs from our Jeeps that take higher precedence.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Not at all, it baffles me seeing so many Jeeps all buttoned up tight when the weather is nice, but then I imagine it's a pain to take the hard top off and on, which is why I wanted a soft top. Driving with the top down, especially in the morning and at night is the best!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
What's that sunshade thing you got there? And are the straps on the back a stock thing?

Re: the topic generally, I did not and do not want a hard top, so I have the premium top on my Rubicon. I live in the mid-Atlantic and while sometimes the winters can be bad, it's been a while since a truly bad one (2016?) and I got the cold weather package, so all the important stuff will be warm and toasty lol.
That is the Spiderweb shade and I *love* it. It gets hot in Sacramento and it helps reduce the glare. When it's really hot (>100°), I'll put the top in safari mode. The shade flapped a bit on the freeway so I sewed some velcro on the rear bar. I keep the shade on all the time and the top goes on over it with no trouble.

The straps on the top are the 36"x2" and are great for keeping the top lower, which helps with rear visibility: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00575600W

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Those are the exact same options as mine! :fist bump:

If you want to feel like an odd-ball, try asking for this:

2-Door Sport (not Sport-S, not Rubicon)
Soft-Top
Manual Transmission
Tow Package
A/C

Those first 3 especially will make any salesman's head explode.

I ended up ordering exactly that (w/LSD) & couldn't be happier with it.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I would love a soft top but my prized possessions are with me most days (golf clubs), and while anybody can steal anything at any time, hard top was the way to go for me. I also think the hard top looks better on and off the jeep, but you cant beat the versatility of the soft top on a day to day basis.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
That is the Spiderweb shade and I *love* it. It gets hot in Sacramento and it helps reduce the glare. When it's really hot (>100°), I'll put the top in safari mode. The shade flapped a bit on the freeway so I sewed some velcro on the rear bar. I keep the shade on all the time and the top goes on over it with no trouble.

The straps on the top are the 36"x2" and are great for keeping the top lower, which helps with rear visibility: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00575600W
Do you have any more pictures of how you tie down/velcro the back? That's a really neat idea. Thanks so much!

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I aspire to eventually have a big enough garage that I can park my jeep in it at night and not worry about the soft top being destroyed by the sap from my neighbor's trees.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I aspire to eventually have a big enough garage that I can park my jeep in it at night and not worry about the soft top being destroyed by the sap from my neighbor's trees.
I just moved this last weekend and have my first garage! Of course it is now filled with boxes and junk until I can get fully unpacked. BUT, im getting closer to not parking in carport, or worse, under my neighbor's tree with sap coming down on my Jeep.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
Soft top only here.
This time of year, the top gets very hot, and I can feel the heat coming in... AC has a hard time keeping up. But when it cools off, top down is the ONLY way to go.
Sponsored