Sponsored

Am I the odd person out for wanting/preferring a soft top?

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
Sponsored

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
When I order mine I am going for the premium soft top as well.

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
I had 2 prior JK’s before I got my JL both with hard tops and one of the main reasons I got the JL was I was tired of dealing with the top. Now that I got the premium soft top I couldn’t be happier.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
While I have the hard-top on mine, It was difficult to find where I am, all the lots had soft tops.

When I was purchasing, I didn't think I wanted a soft top as I have never cared for convertibles in the past. But now 2 years later, I am looking at getting a TrekTop anyway.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It blows my mind that a vast majority of jeeps i see are hard top. The main reason why i special ordered my 2021 JLUR is so i could get the premium soft top, and not have to deal with a hard top.
I ordered the dual-top, but immediately removed the hardtop and installed the soft-top. Having the dual-top is an investment as it makes a huge difference in resale/trade-in in this area.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I had a 2018 softop JL and now I have a 2019 hardtop JL. The softop is very nice, nothing wrong with it, and I got the hardtop because I found a very good deal on it. Softops are not common in dealer lots as people think they are "unsafe"....

I missed my softop greatly and planned on buying a softop. Eventually I bought a top lift pro and I can't justify the softtop anymore. The hardtop grew on me and I like it better than the softop. It comes of easily with the toplift pro, it provides better insulation although the JL softop is very good, and more importantly I can easily put a roofrack on it, which I need to carry my kayaks, camping gear, etc...

There is one thing where the softop is king. And it is the fact that you can take it off on roadtrips. I also think the softop looks much better on 2 doors, but not so good on 4 doors. But after having the hardtop, I don't think I will go back to the softop.

Sponsored

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I also am amazed by the amount of hard tops I see in the summer. I had mine a week before I purchased my softtop. Hardtop for the winter! Softtop was one of the biggest factors in getting a wrangler.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
If you want to feel like an odd-ball, try asking for this:

2-Door Sport (not Sport-S, not Rubicon)
Soft-Top
Manual Transmission
Tow Package
A/C

Those first 3 especially will make any salesman's head explode.

I ended up ordering exactly that (w/LSD) & couldn't be happier with it.

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
If i had to choose it would be the soft top. I have dual top option and dont put hardtop on till November and take it off in March. My wife has a JLU also that didnt come with a soft top so i bought one new in the box off an individual, she prefers the soft top as well.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered mine with the premium soft top and retrofitted a hardtop and wiring so I have both.

I prefer the look and versatility of the soft top but the winters up here can be really bad and for that the hardtop is tough to beat for those 5-6 months - the added practicality of the lift gate, wiper and heated element. It’s a pain switching from one to the other (more so on the JL than on previous JK’s just because of the soft top design (I’ve installed a JK soft top single handed with no issues but the JL is a 2 person job to get the top sliders in without scratching the hell out of the roll cage.

I’m debating going to just one top but cannot decide if I should get a hoist system and a sunrider and stick with the hardtop or deal with the slightly reduced practicality and sell the hardtop.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you want to feel like an odd-ball, try asking for this:

2-Door Sport (not Sport-S, not Rubicon)
Soft-Top
Manual Transmission
Tow Package
A/C

Those first 3 especially will make any salesman's head explode.

I ended up ordering exactly that (w/LSD) & couldn't be happier with it.
LOL - that is almost what I am thinking of ordering except auto instead of manual. However I compared prices with the Willys Sport and it seems there are enough extras on the Willys Sport that it is the better deal and actually is cheaper than the same optioned Sport.

My previous Wranglers were JKURs fully loaded and I can't believe I am thinking about going to the opposite extreme. Somehow it just seems appealing to me. Wonder if I can remember how to roll down a window or use a key to open a door? :)
Sponsored