Am I Special Needs? 🤟🤪🤙

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
After you get to my age, have had multiple mishaps, the worst being my left hand (except thumb) being shattered when a “stuck” Muncie needing a mainshaft suddenly popped out landing on it (burst 50cal barrel later got the thumb) CJ5 and me down for months. Old, dysfunctional hands, can’t see sh!t, simple projects are no longer simple. I now drink beer and watch others do the work unless very simple.(did spare relocation) 😊🍻
I can relate to much that you describe. Ran my own contracting business for many years. Went way beyond what I should have with my body on many occasions. Sold that business but still work with the new company. Trip bypass, now Chemo..... I still take on most projects, but I do realize they will take me much longer to complete. Physically about 50% if I were honest about it. I try to keep a full head of steam because if I don't I'm afraid the steam will condense. My wife, Jeeps, hunting and shooting ( and work) they all go together for us and life is good, just a bit slower. Back at ya 🍻

" Burst barrel on a fifty" Damnnn
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I can relate to much that you describe. Ran my own contracting business for many years. Went way beyond what I should have with my body on many occasions. Sold that business but still work with the new company. Trip bypass, now Chemo..... I still take on most projects, but I do realize they will take me much longer to complete. Physically about 50% if I were honest about it. I try to keep a full head of steam because if I don't I'm afraid the steam will condense. My wife, Jeeps, hunting and shooting ( and work) they all go together for us and life is good, just a bit slower. Back at ya 🍻

" Burst barrel on a fifty" Damnnn
“ Slag Inclusion” they were good enough to give me a new rifle. On my own for a thumb that doesn’t have full movement, can’t perform fine tasks, and aches when cold. The worst part of the broken hand was my father had a commercial garage, trans jack and everything needed to make it easy including help. But it was full, needed room for the 3A at night, so mr patience here did it at home. Brilliant choice, mistakes, I’ve made my share. 🍻

freaknasty

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willy's Unlimited Extreme Recon Package
Occupation
I'm, "That Guy"
I think everyone has struggled with instillations at some time or another. I know I have. This is my first Jeep (2022 Wrangler Willy’s mildly modded) it’s been a good learning process for me

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Glad I’m not the only one! Yesterday, I finished with a Diode Dynamics headlight install. Took me 5 hours, not including the trip to the hardware store and the trip to the auto parts store and the trip to the dealership for parts I broke.

I wish people would make more realistic instructions and be more honest in them. I make technical documents as part of my job and before making them official, I ask someone who doesn’t know anything to follow the document and complete the task. If someone who knows nothing about the topic can complete the task, my document is good.

I had the same problem with Bestops bumpers. The instructions were wrong in some parts and left some parts out too. Took WAY longer than they said. There’s always something weird that seems to come up.

Parker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLURD
Occupation
40 year telecom tech, now Happily Retired!
I'm 69 years old. Not a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench. I installed a new front bumper and winch, auxiliary front lights with harness and dash switch, Mopar hitch and trailer wiring harness and brake controller, Mopar 2" lift kit, CB and GMRS radios. Each one of these projects took me a lot longer than advertised. What doesn't help is the instructions often times seem to be written by somebody that never did the install. I have to figure out a lot of stuff on my own, with help from this forum and youtube.

Sponsored

keithcroshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator (A lot of overlap)
I couldn't even get a set of sliders/steps installed on my JT.
It was Go Rhino, the instructions were terrible, they didn't distinguish two parts from each other well and if I just looked a little closer I could have finally discerned the difference, but regardless the way the diagram shows them, it's not clear which one is the front and which is the rear.
Then the way the final pieces need to be assembled you would need something that can jack the sliders up and hold them evenly in place while all three brackets are bolted on.
So much of this equipment depends on specific tools that mechanics have and I just don't have the space or money to keep for these one off jobs.
Plus I finally found the Smiitybuilt ones I had on my JK at 4WP so I finally got Quadratec to take the Go Rhino's back.
They rusted after a drizzle in the driveway while I was struggling anyway, so I wasn't overly in love with my purchase from the start.

All that to say, you're not alone, I just would never drill into my frame, I'd even hesitate immensely letting a mechanic do that.

TamTam

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Earl Grey JLURXR
Occupation
Medically retired
I have been working on my latest Jeep mod and it is not going well.

This is the 3rd big aftermarket accessory I have bought and almost every time an installation is listed as taking only a couple of hours it winds up taking me like 2 days. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know how to use tools, follow instructions, and do basic stuff.

I guess what I'm really asking is do other people have as hard of a time with these types of installs (drilling into frame, lining up bolt holes, mounting accessories, etc.) or is it just me?

UPDATE: it looks like the company sent me the wrong size hardware (spacers were too big preventing bolts from catching). I am elated that it wasn't a me problem, but super pissed that their blunder cost me so much wasted time, energy, and 4-letter words. 🤬
Your title you used is offensive 🤬. I know plenty of special needs folks who can probably do more then you. Next time stop and think about what you’re about to write or say before doing it.

TamTam

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Earl Grey JLURXR
Occupation
Medically retired
If you're offended, you have the option to ignore this thread (and me altogether).

Don't make your sensitivity problem mine. Now run along. ❄
I’m no snowflake Jerp. I worked with special needs people and I don’t appreciate it when others use that wording to make fun of their disabilities. I’m sure if you had a child or family member with cognitive disabilities you’d feel the same way. Or maybe not the way you seem to act. You could have used other wording for your title and screwups.

No worries, I’ll definitely be ignoring you and all of your dumb screwup posts from here on out Jerp Jerpy 🤡.

XyloSesame

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tuscadero Sport S
Your title you used is offensive 🤬. I know plenty of special needs folks who can probably do more then you. Next time stop and think about what you’re about to write or say before doing it.
If you're offended, you have the option to ignore this thread (and me altogether).

Don't make your sensitivity problem mine. Now run along. ❄
If something is important enough to warrant a comment, let's do better to educate (or ignore entirely) rather than commenting with attitude.

"Special needs" can, and often is, seen as offensive by many disabled as the term separates and alienates people from one another. There are many other words that could have been used by the OP that, in my estimation, could have been worse; I assume positive intent.

... now back to the topic of feeling "inadequate" when attempting Jeep mods.
Sponsored