Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
TBH. It takes me longer to get motivated to get in the garage. LOL
When I was employed, there was a sense of urgency to get it done in the weekend, hopefully a long weekend. Now, its all a weekend. 😁
Sponsored

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
In my garage, if there's a 50/50 chance of something going right, 90% of the time everything goes wrong.
This usually results in thrown tools and lots of profanity. Pisses me off just thinking about it.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Also yeah instructions are typically sub par.
I particular loathe Mopar's mostly wordless pictogram instructions from the past few years. From the simplest possible install to their hardest, it's nothing but drawings with excessive arrows and nothing actually describing the steps you're supposed to be taking. Even with their most basic bolt-on accessories, I'm always second-guessing the obvious and wondering "what in the f'ck is this actually supposed to mean??"

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
@Jerpy
You’re definitely not alone. 😉

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Im working on the MetalCloak Long Arm Kit now. The fronts are done, but that was a hot mess. All the bolts were tight AF. It may be the zinc coating or that the nuts warped during the welding of the extenders, but after about 6 turns, I would need a cheater bar. Yep, cutting the OEM brackets made it real. LOL.

IMG_2079[1].JPG

Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I have been working on my latest Jeep mod and it is not going well.

This is the 3rd big aftermarket accessory I have bought and almost every time an installation is listed as taking only a couple of hours it winds up taking me like 2 days. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know how to use tools, follow instructions, and do basic stuff.

I guess what I'm really asking is do other people have as hard of a time with these types of installs (drilling into frame, lining up bolt holes, mounting accessories, etc.) or is it just me?
Sounds as if you’re purchasing Amazon Jeep mods. That’s problem #1, if it’s the case…

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Instructions? What's that?
That’s the paper thing they Don’t Send Anymore, instead you get one piece of DAMAGED paper you are supposed to scan and download. Several choice words a beer and cooling off period— then Figure It Out Yourself, or send it back for a replacement with a hopefully undamaged scan paper….. New copier— procedure successful after 3 beer breaks.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I used to help my oldest brother back in the early sixties work on his Go carts and then his formula V cars. Then I worked on A6 Marine Corps jet aircraft, then the occasional bucket truck and company vehicles and equipment. Long story short, it wasn't until I started working on our Jeeps that I realized they nave just about every third world size nuts and bolts that they could come up with.
Change a PCV valve, Do a valve cover gasket.....lol. I can do both sides on a big block 502 Chevy in 20 minutes. Takes me about eight hours to do a Pentastar 3.6.
Krawler Jam nuts.....LOL enjoy, Its easy when your built like Lou Farrigno.

The internet vids are edited to conceal raked knuckles, swearing, and lots of breaks in between fits of rage....

Its a labor of love and that deserves extra time. I talk to my jeeps and say.... "Love you long time JK and you too JL".

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to help my oldest brother back in the early sixties work on his Go carts and then his formula V cars. Then I worked on A6 Marine Corps jet aircraft, then the occasional bucket truck and company vehicles and equipment. Long story short, it wasn't until I started working on our Jeeps that I realized they nave just about every third world size nuts and bolts that they could come up with.
Change a PCV valve, Do a valve cover gasket.....lol. I can do both sides on a big block 502 Chevy in 20 minutes. Takes me about eight hours to do a Pentastar 3.6.
Krawler Jam nuts.....LOL enjoy, Its easy when your built like Lou Farrigno.

The internet vids are edited to conceal raked knuckles, swearing, and lots of breaks in between fits of rage....

Its a labor of love and that deserves extra time. I talk to my jeeps and say.... "Love you long time JK and you too JL".
What took ya so long to figure it out? I learned at 18 when I got a 1952 Triumph 650 and my tools didn’t work, WTF ! Wentworth ??? and you couldn’t get them at Sears or the hardware store. 🤨

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
That’s the paper thing they Don’t Send Anymore, instead you get one piece of DAMAGED paper you are supposed to scan and download.
Amen. Was literally dumbfounded when my RokBlokz mudflaps shipped with a single piece of paper.. with only a QR code to scan. Find my phone, open the store app, find a random QR app, scan the code.. to get the super-secret URL (that they could've just emailed or printed on the included paper) to get the single page PDF file that I had to email to myself so I could actually print it out with a computer on a f'cking piece of paper, cause I don't want be installing something with eventually dirty hands and drop my dang phone.

$100 plastic front flaps, free Smarties and a sticker, but they couldn't afford the extra ink for instructions. Super simple install, but still the dumbest jump through hoops bullshit I've ever seen.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amen. Was literally dumbfounded when my RokBlokz mudflaps shipped with a single piece of paper.. with only a QR code to scan. Find my phone, open the store app, find a random QR app, scan the code.. to get the super-secret URL (that they could've just emailed or printed on the included paper) to get the single page PDF file that I had to email to myself so I could actually print it out with a computer on a f'cking piece of paper, cause I don't want be installing something with eventually dirty hands and drop my dang phone.

$100 plastic front flaps, free Smarties and a sticker, but they couldn't afford the extra ink for instructions. Super simple install, but still the dumbest jump through hoops bullshit I've ever seen.
So to get instructions you are now Required to Purchase other Equipment and Subscriptions and have the Knowledge to properly use and navigate them. This old tech idiot just recently learned how to post pics. Are they not discriminating against those who cannot afford-have access to- or are too tech “challenged” or don’t want to spend the time, effort, and usage instead supplied paper Instructions. …………………..I Call BS

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Im working on the MetalCloak Long Arm Kit now. The fronts are done, but that was a hot mess. All the bolts were tight AF. It may be the zinc coating or that the nuts warped during the welding of the extenders, but after about 6 turns, I would need a cheater bar. Yep, cutting the OEM brackets made it real. LOL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Special Needs? 🤟🤪🤙 IMG_2079[1].JPG
Then adding to the fact very few of us who actually do this extensive of work on our own don't have a lift to work standing up. We spend more time on our backs than a sportin gal in the far East. I just love weld splatter burns on my chest......

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Funny how the aftermarket mods undercut the time required, while the factory OEM service center engineers have determined it takes .5 hours of labor to check your tire air pressures, and another 1.2 to bring them back to specs.
Sponsored