Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I can relate, OP. I haven't done any big mods, but even the small ones (e.g. adding an aftermarket fuel door) took significantly longer than it did in the video. I choose to chalk it up to what lowmpg said above. The people on the videos likely do this a number of times (or there's some good time-lapse editing) that makes it look smoother than it is. That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :)
Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Not at all. In our society we don’t appreciate the trades for some reason. They’re hard. I got formal training, became ASE certified, etc. but when it came to the real world, I couldn’t hang at all. Not even close. Being efficient takes a collection of smarts and skills and talents that few have. That’s why the hourly rate is what it is.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Also yeah instructions are typically sub par. And the engineers seem to not have assembly and repair in mind when they design. Again just goes back to how much I admire people who can overcome so many obstacles and wrench decently. You’re normal.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Lol dont give up. I grew up with computers. Computers speak to me and so does math. I had a really easy time on engineering calculus classes, easier than I did with the "easy" required liberal arts classes in college. I grew up in a city, in an apartment and didnt even get exposure to doing mundane house work.

I was very handicapped with anything involving tools. But now that I own a jeep Ive gotten plenty of practice and feel very comfortable doing basic stuff. Like suspension work, brakes, etc... I am a bit slow but mostly because I like to take my time.

Youll get there. It takes experience. But everyone can do it.

Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Well, if you are not that good with tools and following instructions, probably it’s not a good idea to drill into frames. Usually it takes me a bit longer than the suggested time but not by that much. At the end of the day it’s relaxing to work on your rig, who cares if it takes a bit longer?
cheers!!
I think you misread what he said.

It usually takes me longer than what the instructions say, but I’m typically double and triple checking my work as I go.

Sponsored

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Sorry, I miss read your post. You know how to use tools!

I feel that half of the English vocabulary will offend people in one way or another…
Agreed, but some may be more upset over the twitchy Google eyed emoticons he used rather than the words. Me I couldn't give a flying fig.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Love the videos where the person lifts up the steel front bumper and slides it right on in just one take. I've had my oem steel front bumper off twice, and it is a bear to get it back on even with two people.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I like to think that I am, too. I spent the weeks leading up to delivery of these accessories to get all the tools I need, watch videos, and read up on how other people have tackled the installs; but inevitably it seems like there is always some stupid thing that crops up that hinders any further progress.

I'm trying to avoid specifics because I don't want to throw anyone (i.e. site sponsors) under the bus.

Suffice it to say that I've spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on accessories (this has been my first 'fun vehicle'). Many times the instructions leave a lot to be desired which is kinda crazy given how much money they charge for these things.

I should also take a moment to give myself some credit: a few comparatively smaller mods went relatively smooth and I was really pleased with myself and how they turned out.
Install and wiring of my KC lights was the only mod that was without a "gotcha".
It's just the way it is being new to Jeeps and aftermarket mods...my bumper installs, rear tire carrier, and winch were never as straight forward as the directions stated. Most took some out of the box thinking (grinding/wallowing) and plenty of Youtube University.
Don't get down on yourself and know there are plenty of cats on this site that are more willing to help you out with guidance. Post it up and folks will flood in.

OP
OP
Jerpy

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I've had my oem steel front bumper off twice, and it is a bear to get it back on even with two people.
I met up with a forum member to exchange tow hooks. 2 hours later I had to drive home with my front bumper in the backseat. It took two more days before I could figure out the 'trick' to get it back on. 🙄
Sponsored