• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Montana Am I crazy?

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a 2021 2dr. Willys since October. I've completed a bunch of mods including 33' tires and a 2.5 lift. I have 3.6 Penstar with 6 speed MT. I used my Willys alot during the Fall elk hunting season. I'm in the woods frequently and can get there in 15 to 30 miles (camped 50+ days the past two summers). I'm not to happy with the gearing on my Willys (not an uncommon complaint on the forums). Although I rarely see 6th gear, what I've noticed most is the low end. I want more torque in 1 - 3 when I'm off road, not rock crawling, just being off road on what can be some rough areas. I'm seriously considering re-gearing to 456. Would this make any real appreciable difference? Does it make any sense whatsoever to be fooling around with the gearing on a 2021 and probably voiding all kinds of warranty items?
Sponsored

jbelluccio12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have the auto 3.6 with 35s on a Sport S. I've heard nothing but good things about the 4.56 on the auto, but for the manual I have heard things that the 4.88 may work a little better. As for the warranty that's up to you some dealers are fine with things and others will give you a hard time. You can ask them to install it and that may save your warranty.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Is that right? You have 33s? If I'm mathing right (Lodge Grass, MT public education at work here so you know this is probably wrong) at 80 mph in 6th you'll be turning about 2600 rpm vs 2000 rpm now. In low range first gear at 2000 rpm you'd go from 4 mph to 3 mph. A rubicon, for comaprison, with the same transmission, the 4.10 axle gear, and 4:1 low is about 2.3 mph in low range first at 2,000 rpm. Seems like a lot of people feel that the rubicon is geared super low. So I think the 4.56 gears is not completely insane for you. But yeah.... I'm sure the dealer will void the entire drivetrain warranty over this. For myself, I think I'd wait a year or two to keep that warranty for the time being. You know.... exploding pressure plates and all that....

OP
OP
Brendon

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that right? You have 33s? If I'm mathing right (Lodge Grass, MT public education at work here so you know this is probably wrong) at 80 mph in 6th you'll be turning about 2600 rpm vs 2000 rpm now. In low range first gear at 2000 rpm you'd go from 4 mph to 3 mph. A rubicon, for comaprison, with the same transmission, the 4.10 axle gear, and 4:1 low is about 2.3 mph in low range first at 2,000 rpm. Seems like a lot of people feel that the rubicon is geared super low. So I think the 4.56 gears is not completely insane for you. But yeah.... I'm sure the dealer will void the entire drivetrain warranty over this. For myself, I think I'd wait a year or two to keep that warranty for the time being. You know.... exploding pressure plates and all that....
I am running 33's. Thanks for the input. Not a huge difference but maybe enough to give me the feel I'm looking for. The last palce I would have the work done is the dealer. But, I have a really good mechanic I can rely on if I decide it's worth voiding the warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brendon

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks - I'm never sure about how and where a thread starts or ends but I really appreciate all the great info on the forum

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Thanks - I'm never sure about how and where a thread starts or ends but I really appreciate all the great info on the forum
i just switched from the 3.45 gear of JLU sport to the rubicon axles with lockers and 4.10s. i am running 33" tall tires my self and man its a world of a difference driving around town with just the 4.10 set. my next set of tires which i am still debating/ trying to con my girl into 37's. but currently looking into 35"s in the near future. once that happens depending on tire size ill either go 4.56 or 4.88. but with the 33's i love how the 4.1's feel right now 200% better. I dont know why they even put 3.45. i feel like 3.73 would have improved milage and feel of all the models below the rubicons

OP
OP
Brendon

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i just switched from the 3.45 gear of JLU sport to the rubicon axles with lockers and 4.10s. i am running 33" tall tires my self and man its a world of a difference driving around town with just the 4.10 set. my next set of tires which i am still debating/ trying to con my girl into 37's. but currently looking into 35"s in the near future. once that happens depending on tire size ill either go 4.56 or 4.88. but with the 33's i love how the 4.1's feel right now 200% better. I dont know why they even put 3.45. i feel like 3.73 would have improved milage and feel of all the models below the rubicons
Thanks for your insight. I am more and more leaning to the re-gear despite the warranty issues
Sponsored