Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
The factory wheels not only look really good, they are by far and away the best quality. I have never seen an after market wheel (except American Force) hold up like factory wheels.
Sponsored

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
5A0D1016-5DAB-464F-9605-A1633340DF20.jpeg
Sounds good to me, cuz I felt the same way. But remember, you may need spacers with the bigger tires.
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
I run my factory wheels with no lift and 35.12.50/17, no spacers and I have no rubbing.

Fire Jeep

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon

I want to do the same thing. Like the rims but just want a little more height and tire.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
35" nitto grapplers, 2.5" Teraflex lift with 1.75" teraflex hub centric spacers. The wider tires and spacers made it feel more confident and planted compared to the 33" BF Goodrich tires that came stock. 10/10 would do it again.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 20210222_115334

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm sick to death of people regurgitating that you can't put a larger tire on a stock wheel because it's unsafe. The angle of the sidewall for a stock Rubicon setup is about 65 degrees. The angle for a 37x12.5 R17 setup is 63.5 degrees so it is so close that it is nearly imperceptible. A 35 inch tire is around 61 so getting slightly farther away. But this still isn't bad. You aren't losing any stability, and it won't cause the tire to crown too much. Plus it actually helps to keep the sidewall more protected vs a wide wheel, and it keeps the bead set better as well. And there is absolutely no need to worry about blowing the tire off the wheel at highway speeds and normal inflation. I absolutely would love to hear from someone who has actual knowledge on how this would be an unsafe wheel and tire setup.
I agree with what you're saying, the only thing I mentioned is you may have a tire warranty issue if you mount a tire that is only approved for a wheel wider than 7.5".

Sponsored

Ali eshragh

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler moab 2018

that is exactly what I did and couldn’t be happier
Dynatrac true 2” lift kit and my OEM Moab rims ( like rubicon but painted in black ) spidertrax spacer and 35” BF Goodrich tiers
The ride quality is fantastic đź‘Ś

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I’m right there with you buddy! I LOVE MY RUBICON WHEELS! They will be staying on my 21 2dr!

Eastcape14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
AEV 2inch spacer lift kit, 35 Ridge Grapplers, stock Rubicon wheels. Light to moderate off road trails is no problem with this set up. There is no problem with warranty on tires! Smooth ride on the road and quiet.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 28E3B6C9-A06F-4DF3-9E9D-03582D9FA104

Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I ran stock Rubicon rims on 37’s with a 2 inch lift on mine for the last 3 years and was extremely happy. However, today I am having the Mopar beadlocks installed (full true beadlock 8.5”) today. Only reason I want to be able to air down to low psi (5-9 psi) and I really like the look.

NOTE: For Sale-If someone is looking for the stock Rubicon rims I am selling the below 5 for $300. Will also include the stock Rubicon rock rails. I am located in Fresno,CA. Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 28E3B6C9-A06F-4DF3-9E9D-03582D9FA104
Are those M/T? Also when driving in Sand or Dunes what psi is recommended to ride on generally?

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they are BFG M/T. I typically aired down to 12lbs prior to Beadlocks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? C1290A03-8D7F-445C-BE38-A761AF234B0A
sweeet! Im going to silver lake for my first time next month and I have M/T and someone was saying I should sell them and get A/T, I see mayb 2-3 yrs left on the tire tread though, its the Falken MT Wildpeak

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
sweeet! Im going to silver lake for my first time next month and I have M/T and someone was saying I should sell them and get A/T, I see mayb 2-3 yrs left on the tire tread though, its the Falken MT Wildpeak
You will be fine if you air down to 12 psi and don't get to close to trees or brush. The sand gets really soft there...

guywiththehair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I love the factory Rubicon black alloy rims, but yeh, 35s will be hard to fit without spacers.

Especially on the export right-hand-drive version.

A cool alternative I found was from a Japanese manufacturer Jeppesen. They basically make a recreation of the Rubicon black alloys in various colours.
I actually think the little bolts on the outer edge actually makes them look even better than the factory Rubicon black alloy option TBH

http://gobuyama2.com/jeppesen/mjcr216.html

SIZE
17inch 8.0inch wide 5/127 +41

Slightly wider rim although the offset may not be enough to fit 35s without rub. Narrower 35s or maybe 315/70/r17 might be OK.

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? Screenshot_20210414-095646_Chrome

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? Screenshot_20210414-100422_Chrome
Sponsored