Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I'm sick to death of people regurgitating that you can't put a larger tire on a stock wheel because it's unsafe. The angle of the sidewall for a stock Rubicon setup is about 65 degrees. The angle for a 37x12.5 R17 setup is 63.5 degrees so it is so close that it is nearly imperceptible. A 35 inch tire is around 61 so getting slightly farther away. But this still isn't bad. You aren't losing any stability, and it won't cause the tire to crown too much. Plus it actually helps to keep the sidewall more protected vs a wide wheel, and it keeps the bead set better as well. And there is absolutely no need to worry about blowing the tire off the wheel at highway speeds and normal inflation. I absolutely would love to hear from someone who has actual knowledge on how this would be an unsafe wheel and tire setup.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Yep. Personally, I find the stock Sahara wheels (skinny 35s & no spacers) look better than most aftermarket options out there. Thatā€™s just IMO.

But hey, whatever float your boats right? For me, I like to keep $1500 in my pockets to do whatever.

Also, I get a lot of praise on these wheels, even though they are stock. Interestingly even my clueless dealer service rep told me my ā€˜customā€™ rims looked ā€œblingā€.

So hey, if people canā€™t even tell theyā€™re stock. Iā€™ll take that as a compliment. :LOL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 687AEB6B-D3BD-4788-9609-FCACDAED8D89
I'm running JT Rubi wheels. When my stock tires wear out, I've been thinking of moving to the 17" Safari's. Yours look really good. The girl next to next to me in my parking garage has them and I really think they look great.

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
I liked my stock wheels but my lift and tires that I upgraded to wouldnā€™t work because of backspacing. So had to upgrade.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Does it still count if I sold my Sahara stock wheels and tires and put on Moab stock wheels with Rubi stock tires?!

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 687AEB6B-D3BD-4788-9609-FCACDAED8D89

Yep, I say that counts!

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
I liked my stock wheels but my lift and tires that I upgraded to wouldnā€™t work because of backspacing. So had to upgrade.
1.5" wheel spacers is all you need up to 12.5" tires

Alabamajeeper

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jlu
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
I just put a new 2.5ā€ lift on my JLU sport and went with Kenda Klever R/T KR601 LT35/10.5 R17
on my stock rims and no issue with rubbing or having to use spacers. I have not checked it yet at full flex but so far itā€™s doing good . Now the tires ended up be right at 34ā€ when loaded. Hope this helps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 2C7B02C9-BD94-4D42-98D5-52D59D01D494

Sponsored

Alabamajeeper

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jlu
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
Sorry missed quotes on the tire size I went with 35x10.5 R17 .

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
Thanks all! I think i've decided to stick w/ my stock wheels and spacers until I decide on a different wheel i like.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I like both sets of JLUR wheels, the standard wheels and premium ones. Also it'll save me money and easy to find a replacement if I damaged them.

JoeDoc359

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
I liked my stock JLUS wheels, so I PlastiDip'd them black. I really liked how they turned out. I also added some Nitto Ridge Grappler 33x12.5x17 tires.

Guy Jepsy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Rubicon JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 5A0D1016-5DAB-464F-9605-A1633340DF20
Sounds good to me, cuz I felt the same way. But remember, you may need spacers with the bigger tires.
Sponsored