Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

kbarbosa86

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU - 80th Anniversary
I actually like my stock wheels also. I don't have a Rubicon, mine is an 80th. Only thing I plan to do when the time comes is put a larger tire on the stock wheels - but no need until the originals wear out, probably the BFG's most likely. I do love the look of the stock Rubicon wheels. My parents have a 2021 Rubicon in sarge and my brother has an 18 Sahara. Stock wheels on all of them look great.
Sponsored

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I am still up in the air between my oem sahara wheels or black rhino overland wheels with a +30 offset

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That's great! the thought that was even possible never occurred to me. If I may ask, what does that cost for 5 wheels, roughly? Not sure I'd want to do it, as I'm very happy with the current setup, but it certainly gives food for thought and is great to know it can be done!

Also, do you have pics of a Jeep that has these on it?
I have my doubts they could beat the $179 the Quadratec wheels cost.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
I didn't go through all 8 pages, so someone may have mentioned this...I don't think 35's will fit on those wheels because of the width. I was looking at wheels, mainly for unsprung weight reduction, and the factory Rubicon wheels are actually as light as it gets. I may look again when the tires are worn.

Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't go through all 8 pages, so someone may have mentioned this...I don't think 35's will fit on those wheels because of the width. I was looking at wheels, mainly for unsprung weight reduction, and the factory Rubicon wheels are actually as light as it gets. I may look again when the tires are worn.
I think what you mean is that most 35" tires are 12.5" wide and some tire shops won't install a 12.5" wide tire on stock wheels that are 7.5" wide since tire manufacturers specify a minimum wheel width of 8.0" or 8.5" for a 12.5" wide tire.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with installing a 12.5" tire on a 7.5" wheel. The difference of 1/2" on either side of the wheel isn't going to harm or damage anything. Tire manufacturers simply test their tires and warranty them for specific wheel widths and 7.5" wheels fall outside that range. As a result, some major tire shops follow manufacturer's specifications closely in order to warranty their tires and get paid by the tire manufacturer.

There are other options available such as 35" tires that are 11.5" wide and designed by tire manufacturers to fit on a 7.5" wide wheel while still preserving the tire warranty.

I've run both 12.5" and 11.5" widths on stock wheels and really can't tell the difference in performance. I'm currently running the 35" Toyo AT3s in the 11.5" flavor because they were on sale and got them for a great price.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I ran stock Rubicon rims on 37’s with a 2 inch lift on mine for the last 3 years and was extremely happy. However, today I am having the Mopar beadlocks installed (full true beadlock 8.5”) today. Only reason I want to be able to air down to low psi (5-9 psi) and I really like the look.

NOTE: For Sale-If someone is looking for the stock Rubicon rims I am selling the below 5 for $300. Will also include the stock Rubicon rock rails. I am located in Fresno,CA. Thanks
7F5999DF-75FE-46B6-B7B9-FC75F27B2606.jpeg
Ok made the jump. Stock Rubis are great(super light).
But today moved to the full Mopar beadlock. (7.5” wide to 8.5” wide rim.)

check out how the tire shape changed due to the rim width(7.5” to 8.5 “ ). .I like that the new Mopar Beadlock off-set pushes the tires & rims a bit. There is absolutely not rubbing with a 2” lift.

can’t wait to air down low for some CA. Pismo Dunes

My 13 year old son said he like the original Rubicon’s rims better.

My wife said she liked the Beadlocks I think she was just being nice.
I LIKE THEM

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? image

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? image

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I still say skinny 35s on stock wheels .. it’s pretty easy to blow 3000-3500 on wheels and tires, if you are on a budget spending 1600 on tires end taking the 1400-1800 and putting it into a lift, or other upgrades just makes a lot of sense.. and you stay with in spec.. on the wheel.. plus after doing my 3rd jeep build , wheel weight makes a big difference on road for agility and Offroad it eats up your torque.. also the wider tires tend to pull and grab more on road and can plow in sand and snow, where a skinny tires cuts thru it... if you have the funds to get wheels sure get the 12.5 there are just so many more options of tires it makes sense.. but if you want a bad ass looking rig that can perform Offroad .. and drives nice, and you value your tire warranty and tread life... and keeping cost down matters.. the the skinny 35s are kind of a sadly over looked great solution

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I think what you mean is that most 35" tires are 12.5" wide and some tire shops won't install a 12.5" wide tire on stock wheels that are 7.5" wide since tire manufacturers specify a minimum wheel width of 8.0" or 8.5" for a 12.5" wide tire.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with installing a 12.5" tire on a 7.5" wheel. The difference of 1/2" on either side of the wheel isn't going to harm or damage anything. Tire manufacturers simply test their tires and warranty them for specific wheel widths and 7.5" wheels fall outside that range. As a result, some major tire shops follow manufacturer's specifications closely in order to warranty their tires and get paid by the tire manufacturer.

There are other options available such as 35" tires that are 11.5" wide and designed by tire manufacturers to fit on a 7.5" wide wheel while still preserving the tire warranty.

I've run both 12.5" and 11.5" widths on stock wheels and really can't tell the difference in performance. I'm currently running the 35" Toyo AT3s in the 11.5" flavor because they were on sale and got them for a great price.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Can it be done? Sure. Is it recommended? No. The tire rack doesn't list anything 11.5" wide, the most narrow 35" is 12.5. I rarely use the warranty, but you know how the lawyers are. You have a blowout or an accident, they find out tires too large for the wheel were used...
I like my stock wheels, but If I go 35's I'll be putting them on wider wheels.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Can it be done? Sure. Is it recommended? No. The tire rack doesn't list anything 11.5" wide, the most narrow 35" is 12.5. I rarely use the warranty, but you know how the lawyers are. You have a blowout or an accident, they find out tires too large for the wheel were used...
I like my stock wheels, but If I go 35's I'll be putting them on wider wheels.
actually Toyo makes a nice AT tire and nitto makes a nice MT tire in 35x11.5r17, both are C ply as well!

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had similar mindset. Run stock wheels with a good pair of 315s. After much contemplation I decided to get a set of AEV borahs, which I think mimic a very nice clean factory like quality and look. Very happy and there was a subtle increase in ride quality going to a proper width rim for the 315.

LostAggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I really like the stock wheels but ended up with AEV wheels as they are specifically designed for the JL and I was going for a blacked out look. Looking back, they were nice but the wider wheel and not having to go with spacers is worth it.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician