Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I’m trying to keep mine stockish looking, so I went the quadratec route for the backspacing. Here it is on 37s
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 38BF2F76-5A9B-4CAB-A6CA-23590FA1FE56
And again towing with 37s, but looking sorta stock.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 2224AD71-2931-4937-B8E7-B1D993B86365

I love when people ask, “ Is that stock?”. I always say yes.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
How are you liking the Milestars, are they the PATAGONIA M/T line? I was thinking about putting
295 /70 R17 on my stock rims (the machined painted black ones, if that matters)
Yup, running the Patagonia M/Ts. Im a big fan of them and had them about 5500 miles now, it's my DD and my weekend warrior.

Offraod they stick like glue to the rocks we have out here in AZ, I'm keeping traction on steep climbs that some of my group were spinning on with other tires so they've been at least as good as the Toyo and Nittos they've been running. I typically run them about 12 psi with the stock rims.

On road they've also been good once I dialed in the pressure a bit. I'm used to running A/Ts and M/Ts at 30 psi on road but someone on this board, can't remember who, suggested running these at ~35 psi as they're more stable up on the crown and that's been much nicer. Even tread life has been decent, just got them rotated and based on what discount measured them at, I'm expecting 30k-35k out of them.

Good value for the money for the money I'm thinking so far.

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The Mopar Bead-Lock-Capable wheels are the only other ones that I've considered. They're 8", not 8.5" though.

Hard to drop $2,000 when I do like the Rubicon wheels, though.

1617824564393.png
I ran stock Rubicon rims on 37’s with a 2 inch lift on mine for the last 3 years and was extremely happy. However, today I am having the Mopar beadlocks installed (full true beadlock 8.5”) today. Only reason I want to be able to air down to low psi (5-9 psi) and I really like the look.

NOTE: For Sale-If someone is looking for the stock Rubicon rims I am selling the below 5 for $300. Will also include the stock Rubicon rock rails. I am located in Fresno,CA. Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 7F5999DF-75FE-46B6-B7B9-FC75F27B2606

Last edited:

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I liked the look of my OEM Rubicon wheels. I tried running spacers but felt it made my steering feel different. If the Quadratec knockoffs had been avaiable when I was buying I would have considered them. I really wanted a removable rash ring and went with AEV Borahs instead.

20210404_170134.jpg

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I installed 35" KO2's on my stock Rubi 2-door (without spacers & without lift) the day after taking delivery, they looked great (I too love the look of stock Rubi wheels) and she drove ok. Shortly thereafter I added a Mopar 2" lift and BORA 1.25" spacers, still drove ok but not completely happy with on-road handling/road feel, especially in corners or on winding roads. Ditched the spacers, went to a 17"x8.5" wheel with 5.2" backspace and what a difference-she now felt much more 'planted' and stable in corners, on winding roads and overall just more fun to drive! The difference in handling was of course a combination of spacers affecting scrub radius and a 12.4" wide tire not fitting properly on a 7.5" rim...

Now just hoping I don't lose too much of the great on-road handling I now enjoy by going with the new 37x12.50R17 load range C KO2's when available this June...This little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that 35's are perfect for a Rubi 2-door...

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I have a question for people who have 35x12.5 tires on their stock wheels. Have you seen any issues at all? Tires not seated properly? Uneven wear?

Some shops refuse to mount tires this wide on wheels that narrow.

I know there are people who have narrow 35 tires on the stock rims. This question is not for you.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
The stock wheels are great..If I could've wrapped 37s on them, I might've kept them..would've saved me a couple racks as well.

Shamwedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S | 2 Door | 6 Speed | Hydro
Yup, running the Patagonia M/Ts. Im a big fan of them and had them about 5500 miles now, it's my DD and my weekend warrior.

Offraod they stick like glue to the rocks we have out here in AZ, I'm keeping traction on steep climbs that some of my group were spinning on with other tires so they've been at least as good as the Toyo and Nittos they've been running. I typically run them about 12 psi with the stock rims.

On road they've also been good once I dialed in the pressure a bit. I'm used to running A/Ts and M/Ts at 30 psi on road but someone on this board, can't remember who, suggested running these at ~35 psi as they're more stable up on the crown and that's been much nicer. Even tread life has been decent, just got them rotated and based on what discount measured them at, I'm expecting 30k-35k out of them.

Good value for the money for the money I'm thinking so far.
Wow, thank you for the summarized reviewed. Glad to hear they're working out on the rocks. Lite Bright uses them on all their vehicles. Good to know it's not just YouTube channel hype. I think you may get more miles out of them too, as all they do is travel, tow, and wheel, and they were getting a little over 30k.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question for people who have 35x12.5 tires on their stock wheels. Have you seen any issues at all? Tires not seated properly? Uneven wear?

Some shops refuse to mount tires this wide on wheels that narrow.

I know there are people who have narrow 35 tires on the stock rims. This question is not for you.
I've got 315 KO2's that have the same exact dimensions as the 35x12.5x17. The center of the tread wears a little more, but it is still on pace for 60-70k miles with a 5 tire rotation. When I run them 30psi cold, they wear a little more evenly. But outside of that, no issue at all. I aired down to 15psi in Moab last week and the traction was amazing. I'm certain I could have aired down more, but it wasn't necessary. I've had no issues with seating.

I've been 100% happy with the KO2's, but I'm moving to the General Grabber X3 mud tire next, in 35x12.5x17 and C load rating. I really like that size and load rating (smooth ride) on the stock rims. There's also been no rubbing or issue of any kind when fully flexed, either. Oh, and the K02's have held up to Moab twice with no cuts, punctures, tears, and barely any chunking. I'm really impressed with their durability. On road, they are second to none.
Sponsored