Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Thank you for reminding people that in years past that was the thing as working man beadlock's plus was still DOT approved.
On powder coating AL. rims you should not be "baking" the powder that hot to structure damage them, if someone is you need a different shop doing your powder coating.
Now back to the OP starting point 👍 I'm running stock/ OEM rims and plan to keep running them on my JT but being I have 8 stock Sport S rims and a set off of a Mojave now.... I'm out $300 (with tires) "Sport S" and gas money to pick them up. But I'm jaded.... I'm wearing them out with street miles quick. I'll out drive the warranty before two years. I might make it a year and half on OEM tires before needing to replace them.
I'm running was LJ stock rims up into I moved the tires off my XJ on it, with out wheel spacers no chance of fitting them. The rims are low buck steel wagon wheel rims and no they don't look cool but I D.G. a F. what anyone thinks.
Spend your money where it's needed not to keep up with the Joneses, is something I think... That's just from another JT lurker here. ;) :rock:
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That's great! the thought that was even possible never occurred to me. If I may ask, what does that cost for 5 wheels, roughly? Not sure I'd want to do it, as I'm very happy with the current setup, but it certainly gives food for thought and is great to know it can be done!

Also, do you have pics of a Jeep that has these on it?
It's not cheap, you can get the Quadratec wheels for less.

Sorry, no photos either. I haven't ever had anything widened.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Except for:
High Altitude = 8.0" wide
Mojave = +37mm offset
Seems like the Mojave is the sweet-spot for factory spec that needs the least amount of modification out the door to go "wheeling".

A friend of mine bought a fully loaded Mojave for less than a similarly specced Rubicon and I think it's a STEAL.

So I think I'll go that route as well in a few years.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Waiting to see the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T. Hopefully they make it in a size I'm interested in 285/75 If not, I'm likely to get some Cooper STMaxx tires (M/T parent company).
Nothing in that size yet, seems that they tend to add a few more sizes as time goes on, but ???
They do have the most Pizza-Cutter of all Pizza Cutter sizes that I've seen, in the 35x10x17. Should be one hell of snow tire, and cut through mud pretty well too I'm thinking :)

Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? IMG_1156

I went the narrow route and got 35x11.50 for my stock Rubicon wheels. Couldn't be happier. The width is perfect, it drives great and has less road noise. No wheel spacers but I installed Traxda 1.5" front coil spacers and 1" rear coil spacers to keep the wheel well space closer to stock.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Stock wheels, 37" and no spacers(In this pic)
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? Glendora Mountain

Last edited:

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I have read a lot on spacers, and I've never personally used them. But, from what I've read hub-centric spacers like the spidertrax are way better than generic non-hub-centric spacers. Thats really the only reason I'm even considering it.
I did what you're lookin at doing exactly and its been no issues. Went with the spidertrax spacers and 35/12.5r17 Milestars on the stock rims and had the tires mounted at discount tire. Been very smooth offroad and looks great. Follow the spidertrax installs and check torque as they specify and you should be gtg.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Stock wheels, 37s and 1.25" spacers(In these pics). I've been using spacers for a long time. First started with my TJ Rubicon so I could run the stock wheels.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? IMG_7561
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? image0

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Stock wheels, 37s and 1.25" spacers. I've been using spacers for a long time. First started with my TJ Rubicon so I could run the stock wheels.
IMG_7561.jpg
image0.jpeg
In your previous post, you said no spacers.
Did you encounter rubbing issues?

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
I did what you're lookin at doing exactly and its been no issues. Went with the spidertrax spacers and 35/12.5r17 Milestars on the stock rims and had the tires mounted at discount tire. Been very smooth offroad and looks great. Follow the spidertrax installs and check torque as they specify and you should be gtg.
Thanks! I was hoping that was the case. I'm 99% sure I'm going to go that route, and if I find it to be a problem, then I'll update to aftermarket wheels when / if I have to.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Good to see so many with OEM wheels here. In most cases they are higher quality than many of the aftermarket wheels in the popular price range.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
In your previous post, you said no spacers.
Did you encounter rubbing issues?
Yes, the pic in the first post was without spacers. And yes, had a little rubbing.

Shamwedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S | 2 Door | 6 Speed | Hydro

How are you liking the Milestars, are they the PATAGONIA M/T line? I was thinking about putting
295 /70 R17 on my stock rims (the machined painted black ones, if that matters)
Sponsored