Sponsored

Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I'm so confused. I see so many places on the interweb that advise against a tire width of 285 on a 7.5 inch rim, but isn't that what comes on a stock rubi?
285 is fine, people go up to 12.5's on stock wheels 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I accidentally posted this thread in the marketplace because I did it from my phone w/out my reading glasses. I marked that as sold, and I am reposting here.

Hi All! Now that I've got my brand new JLU Rubicon, I am in the process of picking out lift, wheels, tires, etc. I"m not planning on doing any hard-core rock crawling in this. I will be taking it off-road on moderate trails, but nothing crazy. With that in mind, my plan is currently to go with a mild suspension lift 2 - 2.5". Currently leaning towards the 2" Dynatrac. I'd like to run 35's on that with my stock rubicon wheels, and use Spidertrax 1.75" spacers.

This isn't so much a budget thing as it is me not wanting to go too tall or deal with regearing. Plus, I love the factory Rubicon wheels. Do y'all see any issues with this plan?
Count me in the “stock tire” group. But then again, my JLUR is still 100% factory stock as I almost never wheel with it. Bought it for the looks of the steel bumper and the tires more than anything plus the topless/doorless experience in the summer.

CanadianJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JLUR
Tons of people running 12.5 wides on stock wheels, and nothing wrong with wheel spacers as long as they're installed correctly and hub centric. I will also be keeping my stock wheels until I can afford Beadlocks!

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i know of people with plenty of experience on 37x13.5x17" tires on his stock JK wheels that have had no problem running difficult trails whilst aired down to 10-12 PSI, but thy're very experienced, and not stupid about what they're doing.

personally, i like the look of the Moab wheels on my Willys, and will probably keep them with tires up to 12.5" width. beyond 12.5s, i'd jump straight to 8.5" wheel width (which is what most of the Jeep MPP wheels happen to be).
i would not, however, ever run wheel spacers.

I'm over here quietly contemplating 37x13.5R17.....

35x12.5 on the stock wheels is absolutely fine.

Reactions: J0E

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm so confused. I see so many places on the interweb that advise against a tire width of 285 on a 7.5 inch rim, but isn't that what comes on a stock rubi?
It's best to go to the tire manufacturers site and get the approved wheel width specs for the tire you're wanting. This will avoid tire warranty issues and potentially safety issues as well. AFAIK 7.5" wheel widths are the minimum approved widths for a 285. Also keep in mind some shops won't mount tires if they're outide that approved width range.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
i think those look nice blacked out.
pretty dang shiny looking for powder coating, too!
Look great ...but I heard one can't powder coat aluminum wheels because the possibility of structural failure of the material from the heat cycle to make the coating stick. Maybe there are other methods? I wanted to do this to my sahara but held back.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
my orginal plan is to pick up a set of plan black aftermarket rims. now i'm thinking that i'll keep the stock steelie and run 33s on them. that wont happen till the factory tires wears out.

ChadsterJL

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Mojito!
I have a 2" Mopar lift on my 2020 Rubicon. I'm running the premium Rubi wheels with
BF Goodrich K02 35 x 12.5 x 17 tires and no issues. I love them! I have no intention of getting any other wheels. Discount Tire installed them for me and confirmed that my stock wheels were the minimum for that size tire.

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? IMG_0968.JPG

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2" Mopar lift on my 2020 Rubicon. I'm running the premium Rubi wheels with
BF Goodrich K02 35 x 12.5 x 17 tires and no issues. I love them! I have no intention of getting any other wheels. Discount Tire installed them for me and confirmed that my stock wheels were the minimum for that size tire.

IMG_0968.JPG
Same here. Love the stock rims with 35's. No spacers, either. I bought another brand new set for only $300 off Hi LIft Jack company when they bought a Rubi and modified it for a show Jeep. So when these get beaten up, I'll swap them out for the new ones.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I Crazy to want to keep Stock Wheels? 6weo5N9

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
my orginal plan is to pick up a set of plan black aftermarket rims. now i'm thinking that i'll keep the stock steelie and run 33s on them. that wont happen till the factory tires wears out.
I think the stock steel wheels look great with bigger tires on them.
Sponsored