Sponsored

Am I crazy to go 5.13 gears with JLUR manual on 35s?

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m running 5.38’s with an auto on 35” tires. I’d do it again ten times over. Moving to 37’s next tire change.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
At this stage in the game I’m all for 5.13s in an auto and 37s+. You’ll cruise around 2300 at 70 and have plenty of power to go

Brett
With 4.88s I cruise at 2300 (37s) and it's my understanding with 513s it's only a 100 rpm difference anyway. I dont know why my shop was so against it given there isnt all that much difference.

I think stock was about or just below 2k at 70mph??

HELLNBACK_JLU

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
On manuals we go with 5.13s too! My personal JL has the 6 speed and 37s and we’re at 2500 at 70. Plenty of power but you’re right about not staying in 1st long .

Brett
I have driven manual vehicles all of my life (I’ve been around long enough). My 6spd JLU is the ONLY one that I have ever driven that I have not been able to start from a dead stop on level ground in 2nd gear without slipping the heck out of the clutch. I am also going through the internal mental debate of what ratio to choose and I wanted to ask you all that have re-geared (4.88, 5.13, or even 5.38) if you are able to take off in 2nd gear as opposed to using 1st gear for only 2.2 seconds. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I have driven manual vehicles all of my life (I’ve been around long enough). My 6spd JLU is the ONLY one that I have ever driven that I have not been able to start from a dead stop on level ground in 2nd gear without slipping the heck out of the clutch. I am also going through the internal mental debate of what ratio to choose and I wanted to ask you all that have re-geared (4.88, 5.13, or even 5.38) if you are able to take off in 2nd gear as opposed to using 1st gear for only 2.2 seconds. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
I can't take off in second with 4.88s and 35s and treat clutch right. I want a 8 speed manual with a true granny gear. And a engine with some low end torque. I wish i had 5.13s with my 35s . Even though its a daily driver traffic usually limits me to 55 or 60 and a few hours off road daily.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
With 4.88s I cruise at 2300 (37s) and it's my understanding with 513s it's only a 100 rpm difference anyway. I dont know why my shop was so against it given there isnt all that much difference.

I think stock was about or just below 2k at 70mph??
Sometimes it comes down to what they have done and are comfortable with. The JL is still a relatively new platform and we’re all still learning these and what we feel is best to suggest to a shop. I used to think 5.13s with 37s and an auto was a bad idea until we got to try it out and now feel it’s a great pair. The other thing we ask the customer is what type of driving they do. We average no faster than 60 for the majority of our driving. Our gears work great and have excellent mileage. If we did high speed highway all the time and mileage was a large concern might consider 4.88s.

I can’t without slipping it more than I’m comfortable with. I start in 1st until about 10-12 mph then shift to 2nd. Very happy with the 5.13s on a manual

Brett

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Sometimes it comes down to what they have done and are comfortable with. The JL is still a relatively new platform and we’re all still learning these and what we feel is best to suggest to a shop. I used to think 5.13s with 37s and an auto was a bad idea until we got to try it out and now feel it’s a great pair. The other thing we ask the customer is what type of driving they do. We average no faster than 60 for the majority of our driving. Our gears work great and have excellent mileage. If we did high speed highway all the time and mileage was a large concern might consider 4.88s.

I can’t without slipping it more than I’m comfortable with. I start in 1st until about 10-12 mph then shift to 2nd. Very happy with the 5.13s on a manual

Brett
The shop owner is a hard core wheeler/racer. He also has a JK and a JT so his opinion is valued. I did tell him what I expect to do with my jeep. I am retiring in 2020 sometime and will be traveling (maybe around the world) with the jeep towing a SMALL enclosed trailer weighing no more than 2k for probably 2 years then probably no trailer after that. I wont just be overlanding as I plan to tackle the Rubicon, Moab, and more.

I took the jeep out for it first true off road test yesterday after my MC lift, 37s and more. Up and down two exceptionally steep grades that while short, were pretty techical. The first one I locked both axles and it cruised up easily, too easy. the next one I did it open diff'd and again too easy. I cant imagine going to lower gears would make it much easier.

I'm thinking with an auto, big tires, either gear set would work well so you really cant go wrong. With a manual I would for sure go with 513s

junglemaster

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S 6 Speed

Brett
Hi Brett, so you are running 37's? I have a 6 speed JLUS and with the 285/70/17 and 3.45 gear it feels like I'm almost at the upper limit and 5th and 6th are like its not there, maybe drops the RPM down 1000-2000 from 4th gear on the highway I always have to downshift to 3rd or 4th when I need to speed up or pass someone... do you recommend 5.13 if I either keep this sized tire or later move up to 315/70/17 max? I don't think I will go past 35" because I have M186 in front and M220 in the rear and don't plan on swapping axles... trying to figure out if I should get 4.88 or 5.13 with keeping 285 and maybe moving up to 315 later on...

And most important, which brand/model gears do you recommend. At the same time I will most likely do lockers, do you recommend ARB or eaton?? I saw rear Rubicon oem locker for sale on ebay with 4.10 gear but was told it won't work that D44 and M220 is different. My 6 speed on the factory build sheet states M220 on the rear axle

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Hi Brett, so you are running 37's? I have a 6 speed JLUS and with the 285/70/17 and 3.45 gear it feels like I'm almost at the upper limit and 5th and 6th are like its not there, maybe drops the RPM down 1000-2000 from 4th gear on the highway I always have to downshift to 3rd or 4th when I need to speed up or pass someone... do you recommend 5.13 if I either keep this sized tire or later move up to 315/70/17 max? I don't think I will go past 35" because I have M186 in front and M220 in the rear and don't plan on swapping axles... trying to figure out if I should get 4.88 or 5.13 with keeping 285 and maybe moving up to 315 later on...

And most important, which brand/model gears do you recommend. At the same time I will most likely do lockers, do you recommend ARB or eaton?? I saw rear Rubicon oem locker for sale on ebay with 4.10 gear but was told it won't work that D44 and M220 is different. My 6 speed on the factory build sheet states M220 on the rear axle
285s are around 34, and 315 are close to 35s. 5.13s would have your rpms higher than I’d like on the highway. In town it’ll be very peppy. For you, 4.88s would be a good match. I think all the gears are pretty much similar quality but I personally use Dana spicer. We’ve done revolution too with good results. I haven’t tried using a rubicon rear axle locker in a sport axle. You’d need to drill it for the wiring. Don’t know if it’s worth it. Shopping around sometimes you can find great priced rubicon take out axles and that’s always my go to plan

Brett
Sponsored