Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I don’t think I described my situation accurately enough. The only Jeep I haven’t owned and enjoyed since CJ is the TJ/LJ.

Vehicle shortage doesn’t affect me now, but I want a refreshed JLUR during the mid-model refresh year or the new engine JLUR they’re going to when that happens… But it’s likely to be some time before that happens and it’s available at buyer prices.

In the meantime, I’m received offers to sell my JLUR for more than I purchased it for… So, I’m tempted to do so and buy a fun LJ for a few years for the experience and the profit and then put it all back into a 2025 JLUR or something when the time comes and the world settles down (if it does).
If you can find a clean LJ for a reasonable price, I say go for it. They will become more rare, where the JL is plentiful for years to come.
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Obviously money is not an issue for you. But…. After owning several CJs, XJ, and TJ…… fuck sinking money into something to fix it only to have the next thing break. I am done playing that game. The JLUR is by far the best jeep I have owned. It’s new, shit doesn’t break. I can finally buy stuff that I WANT and not what I NEED to keep it running.

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
I've owned some great vehicles. The older they get, the more I like them.......but the less I want the hassle of owning them.
I hear you and would certainly feel the same. Kinda figures with your profile handle 😎

Oldstyle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I hear you and would certainly feel the same. Kinda figures with your profile handle 😎
I currently shelter a 1977, 1986, and a 2009 vehicle so I have my share of punishment. The TJ/LJ was one of the best Jeeps ever but they are aging out for me to want one as a driver.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've considered doing the same. My Sahara is too pretty, too prissy and too pricey to get it all bashed up, banged up and scratched up on the trails.

An older Wrangler would be just perfect. But then, I know I’ll miss all the comfort, convenience, capability and performance of my JL.

It’s a Catch-22, so I end up not taking the Jeep anywhere.

As much as I love my Jeep, I’ll likely sell it when the warranty ends at the end of the year and move on.

Last edited:

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Tangentially related, but I was cruising some of the auction sites this morning and it looks like prices have gotten quite soft all of a sudden. Maybe the OP really could swoop in and snag a nice little LJ.

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Pristine LJs I’ve seen are running $40k. The problem with an old, low mile LJ is going to be seal issues once you start running heat cycles. I toyed with the idea myself, I really wanted an LJ but just couldn’t justify $35-40k for one. Ended up in a JL Rubi 2 door.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I rather have LJ, even better LJ Rubicon. I didn’t feel like dealing with used car shopping and why I went with the JL.
I started my own search intending to spend about $12k on a used Mustang, Porsche, or Mercedes convertible, and keeping my Tiguan as a winter car.

COVID and supply chain issues changed a lot of things.

At first, it wasn’t about price… there used to a ton of used Boxters and 996 911s… the prices were still the same, but a lot less were available. And then prices went up. And most of the choices in my price range were at smaller, independent dealers. I just had no idea which dealers to trust and which to stay away from.

I also started to think about Wranglers more and more, but didn’t think it made sense to have two SUVs.

I never considered buying new until last summer.

The Tiguan started having problems with low oil pressure when the weather reached the 90s.

I went over options with my parents (dad is an accountant)… my dad was the one who recommended buying new… instead of a Mustang and a Tiguan… I’m driving a Wrangler.

PS… you should have seen the look on the salesman’s face when I told him I was cross shopping Mustangs and Wranglers… that dealer sold both, but he looked confused…. convertible was what I was looking for…

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
If you do it, then make sure that you find a 2004. The 2005 and 2006 4.0 engines have a serious OPDA issue, with no Factory fix.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I crazy - Selling JLUR for a LJ??? download opda
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I crazy - Selling JLUR for a LJ??? download OPDAAAAAAAAAAA

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It is a bit of a first world problem. ANd I DO want an LJ but can’t own both at once. I can get 2-3 more thousand dollars now if I sell my 3-year old JLUR than when I purchased it but I’m out a vehicle. Seems like a good time to make a business deal - sell the JLUR for a profit and buy something I’ve never experienced but always wanted for a few years. But I have zero experience in the TJ/LJ world and don’T want to be frustrated and regretful for several years until I reengage with the new JL mid-model refresh with the new engine and upgraded other things - I don’t want to be beating myself up for the next several years because I made this decision Without soliciting input from those who have driven both.

So, I’m hoping to know LJ daily driver experiences from those who also have a JLU and will I regret trying to drive one as a daily driver after being in my JLUR.

Hope this clarifies somewhat. I’m very much on the fence here on whether or not to pull the trigger and go for it.
The “mid model refresh” is a myth.
Sponsored