Am I crazy - Selling JLUR for a LJ???

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Hi fellow JL Jeepers! I LOVE my JLUR (see my mild build thread below) but I can’t shake the idea of owning a pristine LJ or LJ Rubicon as my daily driver for 3-4 years while this whole chip shortage / new inventory / delay issue untangles itself (and hopefully being able to keep it once I do go current again). Currently, I only have enough garage space to store one vehicle, and I refuse to leave any nice Jeeps outside when home (extreme sun/heat and theft). So, to pursue the LJ as a daily driver, I’d have to sell my JLUR (Which should demand good money right now).

I’ve owned a CJ7, 3 JK/Us, a YJ, and now a JLUR - never a TJ/LJ. I want the LJ experience but I’m scared to to Sacrifice my JLUR to do so.

Any thoughts on going backwards for a daily driver? Anybody own an LJ and then a JLU and can speak to how I’ll feel trying to daily drive an LJ after years in JKUs and a JLUR? Any thoughts on where I could find a pristine LJ (I’ve been looking at FB Marketplace, Autotrader, Cars, CarGuru, eBay Motors, etc.)?

Thanks in advance JL crew!
Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Hi fellow JL Jeepers! I LOVE my JLUR (see my mild build thread below) but I can’t shake the idea of owning a pristine LJ or LJ Rubicon as my daily driver for 3-4 years while this whole chip shortage / new inventory / delay issue untangles itself
I'm not understanding your dilema I don't think... If you already have a JLUR, why would you need to sell it because of the chip shortage?

That said, it's not an LJ, but my Dad currently dailies a mildly modded TJ and loves life. I'm sure you wouldn't be unhappy as long as you can still take the top off.

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
I think this is first world problems at it's finest, I don't think anyone here can give you a real answer. The best answer I can give you is, it's your money and you do you. You want to sell your JL for an older LJ, go for it. I don't think giving you a pro's and con's list will help, I don't understand what you want the community to say? I don't mean to come off rude, it's just a matter of what do you want in your life, only you can make that decision. If an LJ is going to make you happier than a JL as a daily driver, then you already know what you have to do.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Not sure if this answers your question but I've been driving an LJ Rubicon for years and just last month started driving a '22 JL. Both are manual transmission 6-cylinders, though the difference between the two is night and day. I prefer the low end torque and ability of the LJ to pull hard in any gear right off idle - I should mention that the LJ is a 4.6L stroker. The JL drives like a car, it's smooth, quiet but the utter lack of torque from the V-6 is driving me crazy. I swap between the two Jeeps every day or two for my daily errands, and as time goes on I'm starting to - gasp - prefer the old Jeep for daily errands in stop and go traffic while choosing the JL for any runs that involve more than 10 miles on the freeway. The JL handles curves and potholes better than any Jeep I've ever driven, and has made me experiment with lowering the air pressure on the LJ in an attempt to smooth things out just a bit better.

Back in 2006 when I bought the LJ I was also driving an '83 CJ-7, and I've been reliving that evolution over the past month. Really similar, the LJ at the time was car-like while the CJ-7 was like driving a little truck. Over time, the LJ got more and more mods making it less car-like to the point that I finally got rid of the CJ. Circle of life, I suppose...

Probably not an answer to your question.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yeah... with info provided, I do think you are a little crazy. How is the chip shortage affecting you?

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not understanding your dilema I don't think... If you already have a JLUR, why would you need to sell it because of the chip shortage?

That said, it's not an LJ, but my Dad currently dailies a mildly modded TJ and loves life. I'm sure you wouldn't be unhappy as long as you can still take the top off.
I don’t think I described my situation accurately enough. The only Jeep I haven’t owned and enjoyed since CJ is the TJ/LJ.

Vehicle shortage doesn’t affect me now, but I want a refreshed JLUR during the mid-model refresh year or the new engine JLUR they’re going to when that happens… But it’s likely to be some time before that happens and it’s available at buyer prices.

In the meantime, I’m received offers to sell my JLUR for more than I purchased it for… So, I’m tempted to do so and buy a fun LJ for a few years for the experience and the profit and then put it all back into a 2025 JLUR or something when the time comes and the world settles down (if it does).

Last edited:
OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this is first world problems at it's finest, I don't think anyone here can give you a real answer. The best answer I can give you is, it's your money and you do you. You want to sell your JL for an older LJ, go for it. I don't think giving you a pro's and con's list will help, I don't understand what you want the community to say? I don't mean to come off rude, it's just a matter of what do you want in your life, only you can make that decision. If an LJ is going to make you happier than a JL as a daily driver, then you already know what you have to do.
It is a bit of a first world problem. ANd I DO want an LJ but can’t own both at once. I can get 2-3 more thousand dollars now if I sell my 3-year old JLUR than when I purchased it but I’m out a vehicle. Seems like a good time to make a business deal - sell the JLUR for a profit and buy something I’ve never experienced but always wanted for a few years. But I have zero experience in the TJ/LJ world and don’T want to be frustrated and regretful for several years until I reengage with the new JL mid-model refresh with the new engine and upgraded other things - I don’t want to be beating myself up for the next several years because I made this decision Without soliciting input from those who have driven both.

So, I’m hoping to know LJ daily driver experiences from those who also have a JLU and will I regret trying to drive one as a daily driver after being in my JLUR.

Hope this clarifies somewhat. I’m very much on the fence here on whether or not to pull the trigger and go for it.

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... with info provided, I do think you are a little crazy. How is the chip shortage affecting you?
Yeah, I’m getting a bit blown up about this. It’s not affecting me now. I want a new Jeep after the mid-model refresh (whenever that happens) and the new engine Jeep (whenever that happens). In the meantime (the next few years), it might be time to have some fun by enjoying daily driver life with an LJ - something I’ve never done or experienced (had every other Jeep since CJ). I can sell my JLUR now for 2-3k more than I bought it for, but I don’t want to be kicking myself because I took the 2-3k profit and bought an LJ that I ended up hating the ride quality and experience. Hoping to learn from folks who have owned both.

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if this answers your question but I've been driving an LJ Rubicon for years and just last month started driving a '22 JL. Both are manual transmission 6-cylinders, though the difference between the two is night and day. I prefer the low end torque and ability of the LJ to pull hard in any gear right off idle - I should mention that the LJ is a 4.6L stroker. The JL drives like a car, it's smooth, quiet but the utter lack of torque from the V-6 is driving me crazy. I swap between the two Jeeps every day or two for my daily errands, and as time goes on I'm starting to - gasp - prefer the old Jeep for daily errands in stop and go traffic while choosing the JL for any runs that involve more than 10 miles on the freeway. The JL handles curves and potholes better than any Jeep I've ever driven, and has made me experiment with lowering the air pressure on the LJ in an attempt to smooth things out just a bit better.

Back in 2006 when I bought the LJ I was also driving an '83 CJ-7, and I've been reliving that evolution over the past month. Really similar, the LJ at the time was car-like while the CJ-7 was like driving a little truck. Over time, the LJ got more and more mods making it less car-like to the point that I finally got rid of the CJ. Circle of life, I suppose...

Probably not an answer to your question.
Quite a good answer to my question. I want to experience that nostalgia for a few years until the mid-model refresh hits. When I had my ‘15 JKU, I bought a YJ and had the space to store both. I much preferred the YJ around town because of its spartan fun old school ride. When we moved, I had to sell one, so I sold the YJ. Now, I’m wondering if I can experience something similar with an LJ (the one era Wrangler/CJ I haven’t owned since the 80s).

Sponsored

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well why not have them both. Neither one of them is a daily driver. I must say I love my LJ. The JL is my overlanding rig.

Jeep Wrangler JL Am I crazy - Selling JLUR for a LJ??? ED632083-A4FF-4635-BE4E-5C3A6454F247
Yes! Beautiful! Your backdrop suggests you’re in a year round warm climate area too. I wish I had garage space for both because I would. But one would have to live outside, and that’s where I’m torn. The FL heat and sun crushes clear coat and our town has too many late night car bandits if you leave it outside. Love your LJ!

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yeah, I’m getting a bit blown up about this. It’s not affecting me now. I want a new Jeep after the mid-model refresh (whenever that happens) and the new engine Jeep (whenever that happens). In the meantime (the next few years), it might be time to have some fun by enjoying daily driver life with an LJ - something I’ve never done or experienced (had every other Jeep since CJ). I can sell my JLUR now for 2-3k more than I bought it for, but I don’t want to be kicking myself because I took the 2-3k profit and bought an LJ that I ended up hating the ride quality and experience. Hoping to learn from folks who have owned both.
How about finding a LJ owner that is willing to swap for a few weeks, months, or whatever and either can call it quits at any time. I bet you might get a taker unless you want to do some mods.

You might get your thrill without a transaction and your JL value is held?

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t have thought about that - it’s a good and creative idea. Test run or beta test in a sense with somebody who might want to try out a newer Jeep!

Deleted member 59498

Have you priced an LJ yet? Under 100k miles is going to be getting high dollar right now.

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
I had a 05 LJ Rubi manual and got 11 MPG with stock size tires. I don’t think I could do that today. That and I suspect any low mileage LG will go for a hefty premium making your financial decision a poor one.
Sponsored