Sponsored

Am I crazy or does this hood paint look off?

dccurtis

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Jeeps: 93 YJ, 01 Sahara, 03 Rubicon. Current 18 JLU Sahara
So I am super excited about picking up my Jeep tomorrow!

I’m traveling about 2 hours to get it and the dealer sent me this picture.

And for whatever reason the hood looks to be much lighter then the rest of the body. Look at the top corner of the hood near the windshield.

Granted, I have not seen it in person and I’m hoping this is just a weird lighting/photography issue. Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else has had any odd body color mismatches or I’m also to hear that I’m just too damn paranoid. Lol

Salesman is off today but maybe I’ll just call someone else there to see what they think before making the journey.

[GALLERY=media, 21]151F2AB4-70AB-45E1-8618-D8A2A6B56353 by dccurtis posted Jul 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM[/GALLERY]
Sponsored

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
No you are not crazy that really does look off. Maybe the hood got replaced or something...I mean it could be the angle but like you said if you look by the windows the color is different. To me it looks like the hood was replaced or something...I would ask for additional pictures and any salesman should be able to help you. Just remember that you are buying what you want...not what they want to sell you. Good luck

TurpJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon manual - Ordered 3/3
I agree, the pic looks off. i would ask for a few pics from different angles before driving 4 hours round trip. It may just be the angle or building/obstacle that just happens to start at the cowl. Tell them your concern of the picture.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
That definitely looks off but I would just ask someone to send you a few more pictures prior to heading up there or getting stressed out about it. I couldn't imagine a dealer selling something to you as new if that's how it really looks in real life.

OP
OP

dccurtis

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agh thanks for confirming my worries and that I’m not losing it.

Yeah a hood being replaced during manufacturing was the situation I was thinking. Im going to get some more pictures.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
It looks different but I'm betting it's just a reflection. The cowl by the windshield is plastic and acts differently, and if you look at the far side of the hood it appears normal. The lighter color reflection also crosses over on to the panel right above the driver fender.

OP
OP

dccurtis

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that’s true. I swore your color was stinger grey Awesome Jeep!

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Hopefully it is just sunlight/reflection, but you definitely are not imagining it.

Of course, I have a white Jeep with a grille that actually is turning yellow so...:facepalm:

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
its absolutely just the camera/phone. The Jeep is fine

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Notice in the circled area below in the picture. The area just below the hood in the circle is the same shade of color as the hood. So I'm 99% sure it is just a lighting / photography issue. If the hood was a different shade, then it would be different in the red circle too.

jeepcolor.jpg

OP
OP

dccurtis

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I think your right. The picture is also relatively low resolution and seems to be lacking some of the dynamic range with the reflection of the sun. Surly this wouldn’t pass the FCA dealer inspection...

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Notice in the circled area below in the picture. The area just below the hood in the circle is the same shade of color as the hood. So I'm 99% sure it is just a lighting / photography issue. If the hood was a different shade, then it would be different in the red circle too.

jeepcolor.jpg
This! It is totally lighting and reflection. You can even see the top of the hood, toward the back is the same color as the cowl. No worries at all!

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
Some vehicles come shipped with plastic film on the large flat painted areas which his may be also. Not sure if Jeep does this or not. Just a thought.

Also, you may just be crazy which has absolutely nothing to do with the paint issue, just sayin'. :giggle:
Sponsored