Am I being too paranoid?

myers688

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S 3.6l
I have a 2018 JLUS with the 3.6/8 speed.

This Saturday I went to my dealer to get an oil change and tire rotation using the free Jeep Wave Program oil changes. When I picked up my vehicle later that day I noticed that the service paperwork showed that 6 quarts of oil were added...

Now I am well aware that the JL Wrangler takes only 5 quarts of oil and that this is a common recurring problem at Jeep dealerships everywhere. When I went back in to call them out on it they insisted that the 3.6 liter engine requires 6 quarts. After a bit of arguing back and forth they finally looked it up in their system and confirmed that it should be 5 quarts! Then we checked with the tech who did the oil change and he gave some story of how he initially put in 6 quarts and then drained 1 quart out. Just to make sure that the required 5 quarts were added, I asked him for a shop rag and went to check the oil level myself before leaving the dealership and sure enough it was right at the full mark on the dip stick, no higher.

Now today after driving a good 50-60 miles I decided to check the oil level again just to be sure (I did let the oil settle for about 10-15 minutes after driving). To my amazement the oil level had risen a good INCH up the wire part of the dip stick!!! For good measure I checked again a couple hours later and it was still high, however I rotated the dip stick 180 degrees to see the other side of it and the oil level was correct (see photos). So now I am confused, is my oil at the correct level or is it too full? I am assuming it is at the correct level but you can never be too sure especially when the tech HAND WROTE 6 quarts on the service paperwork and insisted my vehicle required 6 quarts. Let me know what you guys think, is this an issue of me being too paranoid that they overfilled my oil or did they actually overfill the oil? Either way Iā€™ll be doing my own oil changes from now on to ensure that it is done properly. Thanks!

B603B420-073D-416E-B6A4-476746D14A23.jpeg

CEB919BF-20FA-4A1C-AEE6-A72286A990A1.jpeg
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
No. Dealerships do it all the time.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Anything below the red line is over filled, Dealers do it all the time and after 3 years of production on the JL you would think they would know better.
Jeep Wrangler JL Am I being too paranoid? C1B76294-91B1-452F-BD8D-EC29EEB53F9D

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
Same thing happened to me. 2021 JLUR AUTO/3.6 L

Dealership is saying their documentation states 5.8 QT for an oil change for my VIN. These guys are just doing what Jeep tells them, and what Jeep tells them is WRONG! This is what I got from them. This is way overfilled. Iā€™m in the process of letting out the excess right now.

86DB1914-F992-4BE0-BA1F-82847330AC4A.jpeg

7BB9AB7B-75CA-4F17-848D-8C5B531B735D.jpeg

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have a 2018 JLUS with the 3.6/8 speed.

This Saturday I went to my dealer to get an oil change and tire rotation using the free Jeep Wave Program oil changes. When I picked up my vehicle later that day I noticed that the service paperwork showed that 6 quarts of oil were added...

Now I am well aware that the JL Wrangler takes only 5 quarts of oil and that this is a common recurring problem at Jeep dealerships everywhere. When I went back in to call them out on it they insisted that the 3.6 liter engine requires 6 quarts. After a bit of arguing back and forth they finally looked it up in their system and confirmed that it should be 5 quarts! Then we checked with the tech who did the oil change and he gave some story of how he initially put in 6 quarts and then drained 1 quart out. Just to make sure that the required 5 quarts were added, I asked him for a shop rag and went to check the oil level myself before leaving the dealership and sure enough it was right at the full mark on the dip stick, no higher.

Now today after driving a good 50-60 miles I decided to check the oil level again just to be sure (I did let the oil settle for about 10-15 minutes after driving). To my amazement the oil level had risen a good INCH up the wire part of the dip stick!!! For good measure I checked again a couple hours later and it was still high, however I rotated the dip stick 180 degrees to see the other side of it and the oil level was correct (see photos). So now I am confused, is my oil at the correct level or is it too full? I am assuming it is at the correct level but you can never be too sure especially when the tech HAND WROTE 6 quarts on the service paperwork and insisted my vehicle required 6 quarts. Let me know what you guys think, is this an issue of me being too paranoid that they overfilled my oil or did they actually overfill the oil? Either way Iā€™ll be doing my own oil changes from now on to ensure that it is done properly. Thanks!

B603B420-073D-416E-B6A4-476746D14A23.jpeg

CEB919BF-20FA-4A1C-AEE6-A72286A990A1.jpeg
Good to know that the JL has been selling for its 4th year and dealers still can't figure out how much oil to put in it.

With that much time I literally could have trained a hamster to do that job.
Sponsored