Sponsored

Am I a good candidate for an ecodiesel?

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
At the moment, I'm still working from home and most of my commutes range from 8-15 miles. I was originally eyeing the 3.6 as the tired and true engine, but the diesel's torque sounds very appealing. I know people speak highly of the 2.0T, but every time I've ever driven a 4 cylinder I end up missing a larger engine.

Now, we're now talking about a return to the office which is about 35 miles each way. That would be a big difference in my driving habits, and makes the diesel suddenly much more interesting. And the torque becomes a nice bonus. I'm also aware that diesel fuel can degrade and have issues if it sits too long, so part of my question is around how often does the diesel need to get running? Once we do go back to the office I'll likely only be going in a couple days a week, likely indefinitely. Are there any concerns with the idea of the Jeep regularly sitting for 3-4 days at a time. Right now it's not uncommon for my vehicle to sit for a week straight, but I'm also not commuting to an office at all right now.
Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
What I learned is letting it sit for a week is not a big deal. Nothing to worry about. Just take it out for an hour or so drive.

Really, if you are looking for mileage, don't buy a Jeep. It's a nice bonus, but at $4500 extra & a smaller tank you're never going to break even or it will take a really really long time. Diesel prices are holding steady here in VT while gas pries are rising so maybe I am off in my math, but buy a diesel for the torque. That is why its awesome.

OP
OP

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What I learned is letting it sit for a week is not a big deal. Nothing to worry about. Just take it out for an hour or so drive.

Really, if you are looking for mileage, don't buy a Jeep. It's a nice bonus, but at $4500 extra & a smaller tank you're never going to break even or it will take a really really long time. Diesel prices are holding steady here in VT while gas pries are rising so maybe I am off in my math, but buy a diesel for the torque. That is why its awesome.
Oh yes, I should have clarified that the mileage isn't a deal breaker. More that the diesel is well equipped for those long hauls, and I like that the ecodiesel should be the longest range option when looking at filling up the tank. Especially if bigger tires are involved.

I've always ended up talking myself into a practical car, and I've always regretted it. The ecodiesel would check all the fun boxes, and I'm thinking with the longer office commute that engine might make more sense. But I wasn't sure if the sitting in the driveway or garage might be a concern. Or if general city living might make one of the other engines a better fit.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Is your 35-mile commute to the office highway or stop-and-go?

Ideally, it would be a highway commute to get the engine hot enough for the diesel particulate filter (DPF) to burn off excess soot (regeneration or 'regen'), either passively or actively.

mudog

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hopefully a 3.0 jl
Honestly buy the diesel. I have a very short commute to work but I have to install a Scanguage and watch when to take it out on a long drive to regen. This is my first diesel and the torque is really nice. Makes for a fun driving experience. Also if you don't you will always want one and wonder if you should have gotten one. Just my .02 cents .

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm one of the handful of folks on this forum who had an issue with the diesel. But, I still love it. The performance is fantastic. I don't know how I would ever be able to go back to a gas engine. If you're a torque junky, it's either the diesel or the 392. At least for now... until they come out with some beefier electric options.

My $0.02: you won't be disappointed.

OP
OP

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Is your 35-mile commute to the office highway or stop-and-go?
It's almost all highway, but with construction and rush hour traffic, the first 5-7 miles is usually bumper to bumper stop and go until I can hit the toll lanes.

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Don't forget about the 470 foot pounds of torque in the 4xe

Sponsored

OP
OP

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The 4xe is very cool. I've been following those threads closely. But I think the long commute is just not a good fit for the 4xe. I tend to keep vehicles for quite awhile, so maybe that tech will be a better fit in the future.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have to agree with this. Electric motor toque is undeniable. You get 100% of your torque at o RPM.

I do wonder, however, how its "sustainable" torque compares to the diesel. If it was all-electric, then the torque would be consistent. But if I'm understanding the 4xE correctly, it only produces 470 lb-ft of torque when the electric motors and the gas engine are running together. Am I incorrect?

If the 4xE makes consistently high torque values, then I think it's worth strong consideration over the diesel. But if it's only under certain conditions, then I would still prefer the diesel.

Any 4xE owners or experts out there?

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I drive mine mostly on the weekend and trips. The JLURD does great. Occasionally I will notice when a regen is happening. Although, not often. The overall mileage is much better than the gas Wranglers. Sometimes the cost of Diesel is real close or even cheaper than 87. Sometimes not. A huge plus for me was having a different fuel from most cars on the road. We have had small gas crunches that doesn’t affect diesel.

BFAE0818-65C3-45C8-9AB1-0F0DD7D5992F.jpeg

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
modern emission controlled small Diesel engine is PITA, cost more to maintain and gets very complex. EGR, DPF, SCR, one tiny error will sent you limp mode and long shop time..

BUT, if you want a diesel you get a diesel, smile and drive...
Sponsored