First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Rubicon, 3 pedal club.
Occupation
Engineering
On a Jeep that serves double duty as a daily driver and sees regular weekend trail time, including rocky trails in AZ, CA, CO and UT, how will aluminum skid plates hold up compared to steel? Lets say both are high quality, made in USA product.
Aluminum is 6061, 6mm thick. Steel is 3/16 or 1/4" hot rolled.
There is quite a weight savings with the aluminum kit, but I'm wondering if it will need repair or replacement more often.

Lets take a popular trail where you could expect to bash something, like the Rubicon. In the experienced opinions in this group, do you think the aluminum would hold up reliably?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Guess it depends how built up your Jeep is, if you run 37s you'll be scraping less obviously than if you're on 33s.

If you run into a deep gouging scrape the aluminum will be in rough shape vs the steel. Aluminum won't rust so there's a plus along w/ the great weight savings. Aluminum cost quite a bit more, so there's a fair amount of pros & cons.

FWIW my mpg actually went up when I added my full 3/16" steel skids on my 2dr, I'm sure keeping the underside smooth vs. all the pockets for air to get redirected made all the difference.

You should be in great shape with either choice, only you know how your Jeep will be used, and built up, so it's hard say what's actually the best for you.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
It looks like the majority of your trail time will be in 'dryer' areas which to me negates one of the biggest benefits of aluminum. Given that it really just leaves weight as the biggest pro while also alleviating one of steels biggest cons. I think given that the question becomes "Is saving weight worth potentially less durability and increased cost?"

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
This is an imperfect parallel example, but:

Having used heavy steel and pricey aluminum skid plates on my motorcycles, the former will provide more protection, full stop, while the latter is stronger than some folks are willing to acknowledge.

Here's the aluminum skid plate on my Suzuki after taking one hell of a hit, certainly more than the photo suggests. A steel plate might not have broadcast the energy of the impact in such a manner to distort the right mounting bolt and boss, as the photo illustrates. That said, the aluminum plate did its job and protected the engine cases.

Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum vs Steel Skid Plates SWM plate hit

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great replies ^^^
Since you listed the Rubicon, if you are planning on that beast I think steel would be what I'd want, and just do plenty of rust removal and touch up paint when you get back :) And maybe having to bend some places back here and there, lol.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you’re constantly dragging your belly over everything everywhere you go, perhaps steel. If you’re using them to protect more vulnerable components from damage by the occasional slide or bump, aluminum has many advantages. It’s strong enough for that, lighter, and corrosion resistant.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I split the difference. Aluminum bumpers (RockHard) and steel skids and sliders.

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I had an Asfir aluminum engine skid, great value for the money. Sure glad I had it on when I dropped the Jeep on a rock hard enough to flex it in to the point where that same rock would have messed up my transmission badly.

When I went from the JLU Willys with 2” lift and 35” tires to the JLUR with 3.5“ MetalCloak and 37” tires, I opted for full Artec steel skids. I will live with the potential loss of gas mileage and maintenance on the steel.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
If you’re constantly dragging your belly over everything everywhere you go, perhaps steel. If you’re using them to protect more vulnerable components from damage by the occasional slide or bump, aluminum has many advantages. It’s strong enough for that, lighter, and corrosion resistant.
X2

Quarter inch 6061 is extremely strong. The Artec kit is fantastic, it’s stronger and covers much more than the factory skids, and the net weight increase for the full belly pan is less than 15 pounds over stock. I’ve seen Hemi powered Jeeps slam, then slide their bellies on that skid. The impact left bright scratches/gouges in the skid, but no noticeable deflection. My vote is aluminum, hands down — unless you choose a weaker alloy.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Any information on the difficulties in changing oil?

Reactions: J0E

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I remember Chocolate Thunder saying that he wished the oil change hole on the Artec belly pan was a little bigger, because when the oil flow rate slows way down it wants to dribble into the pan instead of making it out of the hole. That makes sense to me, as the hole seems small. I don’t know if Chocolate Thunder did anything to make the hole on his pan larger, but I think It would be tough to do and make it look clean.

I bought my Artec belly pan during their 2020 Black Friday sale, so the boxes have been sitting in my shop for almost 18 months. My brother bought his during the same sale, but he installed his within a month. I hope to find time to install mine before a Colorado trip this summer.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I remember Chocolate Thunder saying that he wished the oil change hole on the Artec belly pan was a little bigger, because when the oil flow rate slows way down it wants to dribble into the pan instead of making it out of the hole. That makes sense to me, as the hole seems small. I don’t know if Chocolate Thunder did anything to make the hole on his pan larger, but I think It would be tough to do and make it look clean.

I bought my Artec belly pan during their 2020 Black Friday sale, so the boxes have been sitting in my shop for almost 18 months. My brother bought his during the same sale, but he installed his within a month. I hope to find time to install mine before a Colorado trip this summer.
Correct. A bit of oil can dribble onto the engine skid but it’s not major. Just wipe it off when done. I didn’t modify the oil drain hole on mine.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have the full MetalCloak skid system and the drain hole is about 3" in diameter. No issues changing the oil on my 3.6L.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Just changed the oil on my v6 with Rough Country skid plates. What a mess! Oil shot out and then ran down the plate. Luckily i put a hige piece of cardboard box on the ground. Im kicking myself for not ordering a fumoto valve like ive been wanting to. Can hook a drain hose right up to it and directly into oil pan. Right through the hole in the plate.

Fwiw, the heavy steel plates are in the optimal location and can help keep you from tipping over, maybe lol.
Sponsored