Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I read that steel skid plates will slide over the rocks much easier and the aluminum can have a tendency to grab and resist more when sliding off a rock.

Most sliders or rock rails I see are made of heavy steel, I don’t see too many aluminum rock rails. So if steel is used on a rock rail and designed to support the weight of a wrangler when on a rock or used as a jack point then why would thinner aluminum underbody?

I’m sure aluminum is good enough but I would use steel for our rocky desert rock crawling.
Aluminum is significantly lighter than steel. It also doesn't rust.

I went with aluminum since my turbo diesel is built for both rock crawling and overlanding. I don't like exceeding weight limits tooo much. The aluminum NVM skids add 30 pounds. I've also added UHMW onto those so it really slides....I'm guessing significantly better than steel?
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order

I went with aluminum since my turbo diesel is built for both rock crawling and overlanding. I don't like exceeding weight limits tooo much. The aluminum NVM skids add 30 pounds. I've also added UHMW onto those so it really slides....I'm guessing significantly better than steel?
I too went aluminum for the same reason. The aluminum is much lighter but my Artecs are also much thicker than the metal version…which is certainly meant to add strength. I’ve scratched them but no structural movement from the rocks….

JLeco2022

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 3.0 V6 Eco Diesel

This is the same thing i've been thinking, the diesel is already heavy, but I also can make my own skids, so im thinking of making a set of both

StephenM129

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
This was mentioned already but my experience with aluminum skid plates on dirtbikes is that they stick to rocks so UHMW is the preferred skid plate. Probably less of a problem in Moab or where rocks are generally smooth.. I’m leaning towards the MC as well. OP let us know what you think of the MC.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am looking at skids for my JLR. Specifically the M.O.R.E skids and I am leaning to Aluminum. Do I need to Powder Coat the aluminum skids? Or paint them. Or can I just leave them bare?
A material benefit of aluminum skid plates is that they don't need to be painted, to protect the material, as steel skid plates oftentimes do.

Most sliders or rock rails I see are made of heavy steel, I don’t see too many aluminum rock rails. So if steel is used on a rock rail and designed to support the weight of a wrangler when on a rock or used as a jack point then why would thinner aluminum underbody?
Rock rails have by their very design and corresponding use case a significantly smaller and lighter footprint than would even a single skid plate for the engine & transmission. Scale this up to include plate protection for the transfer case and especially the fuel tank, and even the muffler, and the weight difference, or penalty, between the materials can be somewhat significant. There's also the matter of a skid plate's surface area being able to diffuse (i.e., distribute) the weight of the vehicle in a manner not possible with a skinny rock rail.

I've used steel and aluminum skid plates in a variety of applications. Both have distinct advantages and disadvantages. We just have to be honest about our vehicle's actual mission brief before clicking Buy Now. 👍

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
We just have to be honest about our Jeep's actual mission brief before clicking Buy Now. 👍
This is some good advice.

I recently returned Rusty's rear shock skids... While they were completely indestructible the overall size & weight were just too much for the kind of off-roading I do.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I wish the EVO skid worked with the 3.6L eTorque. Anyone have a recommendation for a 3.6L eTorque skid that only covers the Engine and Trans?

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
This is the same thing i've been thinking, the diesel is already heavy, but I also can make my own skids, so im thinking of making a set of both
Make an extra set while you're at it! ;)

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
Anyone know how much the stock steel JLURD skid plate weighs?

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Some info in this thread may help. It's about specific kits, but the general conversation handles some questions: Skid plates: MetalCloak Steel vs. Quadratec Aluminum

Also: My experience from my build thread, w/ the Aluminum Skidplates from Quadratec:

For @JWAustinVTX :
Some more up close, detailed pics of the carnage from wheeling at Rausch Creek this summer.

a few notes:
The aluminum gets SHARP when scuffed. I had a small sliver penetrate my glove (and I wear Mechanixwear Mpacts), and had to pull it out with the pliers on my multi tool.

Again, the plating is 1/4” aluminum and they’ve held up well. Little bent but not badly.

the severely bent ears on the cross members are 3/8” steel that was BRUTALLY DRAGGED across rocks. Only so much can be expected. You could either trim it up, or add steel to box it out. The important part is the reinforced crossmembers that came with the skidplate kit did not bend, warp, or yield. They held strong and that’s what I am most concerned about.

overall, still very pleased with these. I think they’re good option with fantastic upsides.

BD498100-3D16-4862-9311-9505B06E24AF.jpeg

A75EFD53-1A94-4C1B-9A94-D0C827DC4C15.jpeg

5B177E4F-BBD4-4EF0-A9FB-1776BD40B288.jpeg
There are additional pics and updates on the build thread but this is the most recent one. Still satisfied with these for Aluminum.
Hope this helps. Any questions, feel free to message me.

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
Under front bumper. JLURD

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The swaybar thing? That thin piece is more splash shield than skid plate. I have one in the garage off my JLUR 3.6L and could weigh it if you like.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Anyone know how much the stock steel JLURD skid plate weighs?
Somebody else posted about this a while back. I can't find it, but also can't take credit for thinking of this:

The Artec website says their aluminum adds 15lbs net weight and it weighs 91lbs. So that would make the factory stuff about 76lbs.

I dragged mine out to the curb for trash pickup a couple weeks ago and believe that number.

Edit: That number doesn't take into account the factory DEF skid but that also doesn't come off when you add the Artec DEF skid.

Edit2: those numbers are for the non-diesel skid but I believe the factory skids are identical with the exception of the fuel filter cover we have.
Sponsored

Last edited: