Sponsored

Aluminum Steering Box - Anyone knowingly opting to keep theirs?

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I’m curious if anyone has made the informed decision to keep their aluminum steering box because they’ve had no steering issues or if their issues have been minor and their fear of replacing it with the cast iron one would result in new problems or different issues than those they currently have.
My wife has a '20 Recon with the aluminum steering box. Whenever I would read about problems people were having with them here on the forum I would ask her if the steering seemed loose in hers. She eventually started getting annoyed about me asking so I stopped.

The last time I asked, she said the steering was fine. I've driven it and it feels fine to me, too. We will keep the aluminum box as long as we continue to not have any problems with it.
Sponsored

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
Same here. Almost 30k miles on my 2020 JLUR (35” ko2s, 2” lift) with zero steering issues, so I never had the steering box swapped.

(if you’re not having any issues you could always see if they’ll order the new box and let you “install it yourself”, just so you have the part)

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
No issues with my '18 original box. No play whatsoever. I have read a few accounts of people getting the tsb done and it being worse. So who knows. Mine is good and not taking any chances unless i absolutely have to.

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have a 2018 Sport S that has a manufacturing date of 31 July 2018 and I bought at the end of November 2018. I plan on keeping the original box as I have had zero problems with mine. No play, no drift, nothing.
Sponsored