Aluminum soft shackle recovery rings?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Can you clarify? If you use this ring to pull yourself with your own winch it doubles the pulling power to your car. Your jeep is seeing 2 pull forces. One at the winch, and the other at the attachment point (after going around the pulley and back to your jeep).

If you use the ring to redirect the pull to another vehicle - it doesn't double the pulling power. a single pulley just changes the direction of the force. Your jeep feels force at the winch, and his car feels force at the rope attachment point.

If you set up multiple pulleys on the other hand that would increase the power.
If you mount the ring at the stuck vehicle, it sees double the force. Winch to ring at stuck vehicle and back to your rig.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Yes and no, the winch is bolted to the same frame rails as those attachment points after all. I'll tend to at least try a simple single line pull for ease and speed 1st. If the winch is starting to really load up without any movement, then it's time to get more creative with the rigging, maybe do some jacking/rock stacking/or digging, etc to facilitate the recovery. With experience, you'll be able to tell how stuck you are and how much you are loading up your winch, no need to over think it and put in a punch of extra work as well as extra potential failure points unnecessarily. K.I.S.S. as they say.
All the folks I wheel with do just that, single line pull. I've got a 12K superwinch on my JLR and my TJR, and I almost always use the snatch ring because it's so easy (compared to a snatch block). Most of the folks are using cheaper 8 or 9.5 K winches.

Here's why I almost always use the snatch ring:

• I'm generally close so I don't need to spool out much rope. On the outer most wind, you've got only 60% of your rated pull.
  • It fun to use the snatch ring and who doesn't like double the power. Because the load is half, it winds up faster so you're not really taking twice as long. I've never been in a hurry in a recovery - except the time I used a jack and broke my finger.
  • I'm extremely skeptical of guesstimating load based on sound. I did a recovery last Sunday with a snatch ring. My JLR (the pulling anchor) was pulled 5 feet, the recovered vehicle 1 foot. It sounded like a high load. Everyone needed winching over that obstacle. A TJR with a 9.5K RR winch with a JKUR anchor behind him did a single line pull of a JLUR. I'm guessing he was overloading his winch, but that's just a guess. You can measure the load very accurately with a CT. If you have a Zeon Platinum, you can monitor motor temperature, but that only tells you high load for some time. I'd love to find an affordable 500 AMP CT to install permanently.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
  • It fun to use the snatch ring and who doesn't like double the power. Because the load is half, it winds up faster so you're not really taking twice as long. I've never been in a hurry in a recovery - except the time I used a jack and broke my finger.
A 12K Smitty has a line speed of 5.6 FPM at 12K load. A snatch ring/block halfs the load to 6K but doubles the line that has to be pulled. At 6K load the line speed is 8.9 FPM but you have to pull twice as much line so the effective speed is 4.5. About 20% slower than a single line pull.

The current load is 330 amps vs 220 amps at loads of 12K and 6K respectively. Factoring in the line speed I suppose you're about 20% more efficient using the snatch ring/block.

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
So is the 60000# ring for $20 as good as the $100 ring?
What is the differenc?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What is the differenc?
$80 without a doubt.

But this is the only attempt at an objective comparison I could find.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
What is the differenc?
It's an inanimate round aluminum ring, marketing is the only difference. Maybe you can find one actually made in America, and that could hold some value to you?

Reactions: J0E

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
Which ones are made in America?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you mount the ring at the stuck vehicle, it sees double the force. Winch to ring at stuck vehicle and back to your rig.
... or other immovable anchor.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
... or other immovable anchor.
Doesn't double the pull on the stuck vehicle unless the winch is on the stuck vehicle or the ring is attached to the stuck vehicle and the line is run back to the location of the winch. Even if you park the winch vehicle next to the stuck vehicle, you're just redirecting the pull angle. Half the load on each rope. If both ropes (either side of the pulley or the pulley itself) aren't attached to the load, it isn't seeing all the pull force. Unless you were talking ring at stuck vehicle and other end to immovable anchor next to winch vehicle, then yes that works too.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Doesn't double the pull on the stuck vehicle unless the winch is on the stuck vehicle or the ring is attached to the stuck vehicle and the line is run back to the location of the winch. Even if you park the winch vehicle next to the stuck vehicle, you're just redirecting the pull angle. Half the load on each rope. If both ropes (either side of the pulley or the pulley itself) aren't attached to the load, it isn't seeing all the pull force. Unless you were talking ring at stuck vehicle and other end to immovable anchor next to winch vehicle, then yes that works too.
😄

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Can you clarify? If you use this ring to pull yourself with your own winch it doubles the pulling power to your car. Your jeep is seeing 2 pull forces. One at the winch, and the other at the attachment point (after going around the pulley and back to your jeep).

If you use the ring to redirect the pull to another vehicle - it doesn't double the pulling power. a single pulley just changes the direction of the force. Your jeep feels force at the winch, and his car feels force at the rope attachment point.

If you set up multiple pulleys on the other hand that would increase the power.
It all depends upon where the connections are:
Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum soft shackle recovery rings? winch-positions

Are you doubling the line or re-directing? A double line applies (say) 10# on the running line meaning 20# to the vehicle to be unstuck (yellow) and the tree strap carries 20#; where in a redirect each line carries 10# and the tree strap carries 20#, but only 10# is applied to the vehicle to be unstuck and 10# to the separate anchor. That is why folks say a double line 'doubles' the force. A double line with a static offset applies the most force to the stuck vehicle (if it is not your own) while keeping the anchor and winch forces lower (yes, add more pulleys if you wish)—

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link