cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I know this is an old thread but people search and this thread automatically associates in a list below for similar subjects. So I think this question is worth responding to.

A traditional steel "snatch block " weighs from a few times more than a soft shackles and aluminum ring, to many times more.

With one pulley, whether a steel snatch block or aluminum ring, I can double the pulling force, while keeping the loads on the winch and rope the same. More pulleys, more force. With 2 pulleys, I can also winch a vehicle sideways (which I have had to do). With 3 pulleys I can have 4 times the pull or i can rig to winch backwards. More pulleys, whether steel snatch block or aluminum ring, give you more capabilities. Now who wants to haul 3 steel snatch blocks around?
And I still hold firm to my belief that the aluminum ring is safer than a heavy steel snatch block. I know an aluminum ring can still crack my noggin. But, it might not take a chunk out of my dome and keep going.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

And I still hold firm to my belief that the aluminum ring is safer than a heavy steel snatch block. I know an aluminum ring can still crack my noggin. But, it might not take a chunk out of my dome and keep going.
No argument there but the point might be that often use of a ring might cause a failure sooner than using a snatch block.

For infrequent use, risk appears low. Wouldn't hurt to carry a ring as well as a snatch block to give you options.

This leads to another important point. Always check your gear before and after use.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The eventuality of a failure would only be long after it wore through the outer sleeve (there to protect the actual soft shackle from abrasion). Wether infrequent use or multiple times a day, assuming you are inspecting your gear every time you rig up a pull I just don't see it as an issue. The biggest issue with steel snatch blocks and synthetic line is if your pull has a moment of slack the synthetic can and will get caught between the pulley and steel housing and will likely be cut immediately. The ring eliminates that possibility. If the winch line slacks and kicks out of the ring, it is simply rubbing on the abrasion sleeve. Re-rig and pull on.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The eventuality of a failure would only be long after it wore through the outer sleeve (there to protect the actual soft shackle from abrasion). Wether infrequent use or multiple times a day, assuming you are inspecting your gear every time you rig up a pull I just don't see it as an issue. The biggest issue with steel snatch blocks and synthetic line is if your pull has a moment of slack the synthetic can and will get caught between the pulley and steel housing and will likely be cut immediately. The ring eliminates that possibility. If the winch line slacks and kicks out of the ring, it is simply rubbing on the abrasion sleeve. Re-rig and pull on.
Good point about a slack line and shackle.

With respect to the soft shackle and outer abrasion sleeve, I hope the shackle actually has an outer sleeve (not all do) and the sleeve has a higher protection rating than the shackle fibers.

And the shackle is rigged such that the sleeve is indeed part of the interface.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Soft shackle aluminum snatch blocks are to be used with regular bare soft shackles with NO protective sleeve. A sleeve actually increases friction and heat.
Now I am really confused.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
The big deal about these is if the attachment point breaks, would you rather have a 5 or 6 pound steel snatch block flying towards your head at a million miles an hour -- or a less than 2 pound aluminum ring? Yes, snatch blocks are the best when it comes to functionality. And there is less friction in a bearing based snatch block, but the winch line moves the pulley so slowly I really don't think it matters.
a 55 grain .223 bullet is 0.12571429 Ounces.

EDIT: but weight is a consideration for an in vehicle projectile. I keep my snatch block under the seat for that reason and it's a PITA to recover. I'm going to get a large diameter snatch ring as I can stow it in my tailgate bag.

Used the ring to winch out a full sized Silverado on Thursday. He was buried in snow up to his axels. Poor young dude in a t-shirt and no gloves was digging out with his hands.

I used the ring to increase my winch pulling power. Two bumps of the winch and he was out.
axles in snow, that's not suck.
But a kinetic rope could have done that recovery and been on the way before you got hooked up.

Here's a link to the video at 4:50
This video is really informative. Around 4:50 is where he mentions no sheaths.

The entire video is informative, thanks for posting. I'm now a convert.

Last edited:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Isn’t the internet great!

But did you actually listen to him? He specifically says that he’s going against Factor55’s recommendations. And I would argue they test and rate their gear better than any other manufacturer. They’ll always be someone out there that will tell you what you want to hear…

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Isn’t the internet great!

But did you actually listen to him? He specifically says that he’s going against Factor55’s recommendations. And I would argue they test and rate their gear better than any other manufacturer. They’ll always be someone out there that will tell you what you want to hear…
Oh yeah... I forgot Factor55 isn't biased. And I have a flatline so I'm a fan.

Then there are these guys testing out a Factor55 ring. Goto about 13:30 and tell me where the friction is occurring. I thought the Teflon was the selling 'factor'?

And then there is bubba on BleepinJeep. Maybe watch the entirety for their comedic prowess?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The pretty colored aluminum flatlinks are truly an answer looking for a question. An expensive very well made answer.

Reactions: J0E

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Soft shackle aluminum snatch blocks are to be used with regular bare soft shackles with NO protective sleeve. A sleeve actually increases friction and heat.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aluminum soft shackle recovery rings? Screenshot_20221204-070042_Chrome

Not according to the manufacturer of the one I use...but it was only $35. If I spent 5 times as much for a factor 55 I’d feel obligated to do what they tell me.

Last edited:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
The friction isn't being imparted to the line. It is being imparted to the soft shackle.
Oh yeah... I forgot Factor55 isn't biased. And I have a flatline so I'm a fan.

Then there are these guys testing out a Factor55 ring. Goto about 13:30 and tell me where the friction is occurring. I thought the Teflon was the selling 'factor'?

And then there is bubba on BleepinJeep. Maybe watch the entirety for their comedic prowess?

[/QU
I wasn’t the one discussing where friction is occurring. And in that video a protective sleeve isn’t going to matter one way or the other.
Sponsored