Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Simple enough idea. Hopefully they hold up, not sure there is any reason they shouldnt.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I was recently shown a product like this but being new to off road recovery, I’m trying to envision how it’s used.

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It seems like this method works fine, but causes a lot more friction and thereby wear on your straps compared to using a snatch block. No?

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This might help.
Thanks but that didn’t really give me any information on what I’m curious about. His looking at the shackle after a few seconds of pulling and feeling the pulley to determine how warm it is isn’t the most scientific of tests to determine how much friction wear is taking place. Lol.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Thanks but that didn’t really give me any information on what I’m curious about. His looking at the shackle after a few seconds of pulling and feeling the pulley to determine how warm it is isn’t the most scientific of tests to determine how much friction wear is taking place. Lol.
The force measurements were interesting, but I'm not sure how relevant that really is. Every video I watch of these things, the winch rope firmly grasps the ring and spins it around the soft shackle. A standard snatch block does the same thing but has a bearing to minimize friction. I can't reason any more wear on the winch rope itself.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I am not an expert in this area but wouldn't the force increase relate to the amount of friction on the soft shackle. That friction is heat on the soft shackle. So we know there is considerable more friction and heat on the soft shackle portion but in real-life does that really matter? I do not know - no long term published tests it seems.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The force measurements were interesting, but I'm not sure how relevant that really is. Every video I watch of these things, the winch rope firmly grasps the ring and spins it around the soft shackle. A standard snatch block does the same thing but has a bearing to minimize friction. I can't reason any more wear on the winch rope itself.
Yes. That’s what I’m getting at. Obviously a wheel spinning around a lubricated bearing is low friction, a wheel being dragged across a surface is much higher friction which equals heat and wear.
I am not an expert in this area but wouldn't the force increase relate to the amount of friction on the soft shackle. That friction is heat on the soft shackle. So we know there is considerable more friction and heat on the soft shackle portion but in real-life does that really matter? I do not know - no long term published tests it seems.
Right. Since these pulleys are radiused and all seem to have a super smooth anodized contact surface it reduces wear. But the question of “does it really matter?” is where my head is at. It may not be an amount that matters over the life of the strap. But maybe it does? That’s all I’m asking. I wish there were a scientific answer but unless/until there’s a study done in measured laboratory conditions we won’t know how much difference that extra friction makes on the strap.

Anyway I’ve already got a relatively small light snatch block that I’ll keep. Not like that huge monstrosity dude had in the video. That thing looks like it was used to hoist blocks to build the great pyramid. Lol. I’d switch too if I were using that.
Sponsored