Aluminum skid plates for JL.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Why aluminum...might not be strong enough. I’d go with steel even though it’s heavier. Aluminum may work for the first few times you slide or hit a few rocks but over time it will get worse.

Same goes with fenders...steel is real.

Open to others experiences though.
Artec has an alum one too for those that care.

to your point, my thought is your right for hard core wheeling, where bashing plates repeatedly is likely. Although Artec mentioned they think their alum holds up better then steel.

For ME, I will not be doing perpetual hard core wheeling so something that heavy only serves to slow me down. The Artec plate system has a net weight of 10lbs and gets you 3/4 inch more clearance. I like-e
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
One thing I have noticed with aluminum skids on my quads; If you go over sharp rocks you will get very sharp splinters of aluminum sticking down but still attached to the skid, hell on fingers (like stitches hell, not just a scrape) and also after awhile these start grabbing other debris like sticks, bushes, and trail garbage to take along for the ride. I knock them off with a chisel and file them down smooth every now and then, and would probably plan on doing the same if I put aluminum skids on my Jeep. Just something to think about.
Yeah supposedly Artec is using some high grade alum but I still think what your saying will happen. Plus metal guides over stuff better then alum where it acts like a brake of sorts.

I dirt bike too and went to a super thick plastic skid. Scares up horribly but protects like crazy. I'd rather have that but I dont think it will hold up to the heat vehicles have. Exhaust, tranny, etc.

For me it's a weight thing. I just love how peppy that little 3.6 is and dont want to lard it down too much. IMO they need to come up with a hybiid system. The belly should be metal and the extented skids alum OR have a thin metal plate over the alum. I might fashion my own, it would be pretty easy to do.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Artec has an alum one too for those that care.

to your point, my thought is your right for hard core wheeling, where bashing plates repeatedly is likely. Although Artec mentioned they think their alum holds up better then steel.

For ME, I will not be doing perpetual hard core wheeling so something that heavy only serves to slow me down. The Artec plate system has a net weight of 10lbs and gets you 3/4 inch more clearance. I like-e
On my JKUR (it's a 2013), I run an aluminum skid system from TnT Customs, it's 1/4" 6061-T6. Those skids have been on the jeep since I brought it home new from the dealer. I have had zero issues with them; it's been to Moab, several jeep jamborees and lots of trips to Raush Creek. Jeep has been wheeled regularly since it was new.

Aluminum is just as strong as steel, yes it's a softer metal, but strength is not a problem.

I am considering selling my 2006 LJ and picking up a 2 door JL ... unfortunately, it seems most of the aftermarket stuff is for the 4 door. Might need to wait a while to see what the aftermarket offers for the 2 door.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
On my JKUR (it's a 2013), I run an aluminum skid system from TnT Customs, it's 1/4" 6061-T6. Those skids have been on the jeep since I brought it home new from the dealer. I have had zero issues with them; it's been to Moab, several jeep jamborees and lots of trips to Raush Creek. Jeep has been wheeled regularly since it was new.

Aluminum is just as strong as steel, yes it's a softer metal, but strength is not a problem.

I am considering selling my 2006 LJ and picking up a 2 door JL ... unfortunately, it seems most of the aftermarket stuff is for the 4 door. Might need to wait a while to see what the aftermarket offers for the 2 door.
Good post and GOOD to know. Thanks!

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Nice but still no 2dr. version. Says, 4dr. only.
I have a 2 door, and I am going with the EVO oil pan and transmission skid. It requires a bit of modification of the skid plate, due to the gas tank differences, but my Jeep guy will handle this, no worries. On the 2 door thread, many of us has gone this route. It is steel, but it’s not as big, focusing on oil pan and transmission, keeping the stock transfer case skid.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice but still no 2dr. version. Says, 4dr. only.
They have a 2 door version, just not on the website. Email them.

I ordered one, but still waiting to receive it.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I emailed TNT an asked if they would build aluminum belly pan skid for 2drs. if there was a group pre-deposit buy. Reply was boss is out of town until the 7th.
I was told by Tanner the sales guy that they are building a full skid system for the 2 door. The only skid they currently have is the engine skid.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by Tanner the sales guy that they are building a full skid system for the 2 door. The only skid they currently have is the engine skid.
TnT Customs aluminum engine skid installed. I asked them to make it in 1/4" instead of 3/16". I think I will put it to use in a few weeks at the Topless for Tatas ride at Rausch Creek in August. My JL is awfully low to the ground. Sigh. I see 37s and 3.5" springs in my future...

20190713_152544.jpg

20190713_163343.jpg

20190713_163453.jpg

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

TnT Customs aluminum engine skid installed. I asked them to make it in 1/4" instead of 3/16". I think I will put it to use in a few weeks at the Topless for Tatas ride at Rausch Creek in August. My JL is awfully low to the ground. Sigh. I see 37s and 3.5" springs in my future...
How do like your TNT skid plate now that you’ve had it on for a while. I’m looking for AL skid plates for my 2dr. Thanks

Sponsored

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do like your TNT skid plate now that you’ve had it on for a while. I’m looking for AL skid plates for my 2dr. Thanks
I like it. Its is doing its job.

I have their skid system on my 2013 JKUR too and it's been there since the jeep was new. I have never had any issues with it and its held up to regular offroad trips. It's pretty scratched up, but nothing is bent. I take the skids off periodically for cleaning and bolt replacement.

Prestige Billet

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
ASFIR 4X4 has aluminum skid plates for both 2 and 4 door JL.
M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off Road Enterprises) also has some aluminum skid plates.
MORE and ASFIR seem to have better pricing than some of the other options listed above.
I had the full ASFIR 4X4 skid plate system on my JKU and they held up well.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
While many feel the 2-door is often ignored, the 4-door with the 2.0 is equally ignored. Very few companies have decent skids for that engine. Sure, there's the full skid system, but I'm not finding an engine/trans only skid I like.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Shipping seems to kill the deal on much of the ASFIR stuff....

Prestige Billet

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Really? Says $126 shipped for transfer case skid plate, MORE is about $275 shipped and the other brands are well over $300.
I did not complete the checkout so maybe shipping price changes? I will post back once I get mine ordered in a couple of weeks
Sponsored