Sponsored

Aluminum Knuckles vs. Cast Steel Knuckles & Clearances

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
After upgrading my stock front suspension (trackbar, tie-rod, and drag link), I had light rubbing against the tie-rod ends on the inside of the wheel at full lock. I initially installed spacers, but eventually replaced my OEM wheels with Icon Alphas with 0 offset.

Metal Cloak attributed the rubbing to variances in FCA's manufacturing processes, but I can say that adding 4 washers to the steering stops did not stop the rubbing, so it is a pretty mean variance. I have seen others with Teraflex installed state the same thing about rubbing so it is not unique to MC.

Fast forward and I have re-geared, trussed, gusseted, replaced the aluminum knuckles with Mopar cast steel and installed a MC GC 2.5" lift kit.

I said all of that to ask--(without pulling the front wheels and installing OEMs to test which may be the only way to know)--does anyone think that with the changes I have made that enough clearance exists to run OEM wheels?

I am thinking about grabbing a set of take-offs to run in the winter to keep my Icons in better shape than they would be otherwise.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Aren't OEM 5.77 ? I run 5.71, +25 AEV wheels and 37x 12.5 MT tires, have alum. knuckles and do not rub on the Tie-rod ends. I did rub on the Synergy LCA's and 1/4" turn out on the steering stops worked. I do have a Mopar lift which does not flex as much as a 2.5 M.C. lift. Maybe the flex is the issue.
A Mopar lift really doesn't flex more than a stock Rubicon. Mopar did a pretty good job engineering their lift IMO. Center the axles under the body, get more castor and you are good to go.
For clarity--the rubbing happened before the lift kit was installed; only the MC trackbar, drag-link, and tie-rod and Mopar longer LCAs were installed. It was otherwise a stock Rubicon (at that point),

AFAIK - all OEM wheels are +44 offset, so your +25 offset AEVs move the inner rim of the wheel about 19mm further away from the tie-rods.

With the spacers I was running with the OEM wheels the offset is the same as my current wheels with no spacer--0 offset or 44 mm further away from the tie-rods.

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
For clarity--the rubbing happened before the lift kit was installed; only the MC trackbar, drag-link, and tie-rod and Mopar longer LCAs were installed. It was otherwise a stock Rubicon (at that point),

AFAIK - all OEM wheels are +44 offset, so your +25 offset AEVs move the inner rim of the wheel about 19mm further away from the tie-rods.
Why not just change wheels? Spent all that money and probably would have been cheaper to change wheels with a 3.5" BS. ? Just curious.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just change wheels? Spent all that money and probably would have been cheaper to change wheels with a 3.5" BS. ? Just curious.
??? I did change wheels because I did not want to run spacers indefinitely and I sold those wheels and tires when I did upgrade.

My question is more around whether or not I can run OEM wheels now without rubbing since the entire front suspension has been upgraded.

Cheap wheels for the winter and my Icons for the summer. Guess I'll find a local Jeeper around here with a set of take-offs and try them.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have to wonder why would a stock tire and wheel combo rub on replacement tie-rods.
It was Metal Cloak equipment not OEM and they are much larger--they are 1 ton tie-rods. Not everyone has this issue and at the time that it happened, @Metalcloak stated they had only heard of a handful of others with it. I just happened to draw the next lucky card...
Sponsored