Aluminum bed for JT pickup truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
We know the JL and JT are getting aluminum doors and hood, but I hope the JT bed isn't also getting an aluminum bedfloor like the F-150. I'd gladly take on the extra weight of a steel bed to avoid having an easily damaged bed like this.

Sponsored

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
Ack that looks bad like a bad decision by Ford to use aluminum for the truck bed. A bedliner would probably prevent that kind of damage but those don't come standard on the F-150.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Pleas don't believe everything you see on commercials.

Thats how I fell for the Banjo Fishing System years ago.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
No one loads a bed like presented in the commercial. Also a $400 spray in bed liner would fix that just fine. Its just a GM marketing gimmick.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
No one loads a bed like presented in the commercial. Also a $400 spray in bed liner would fix that just fine. Its just a GM marketing gimmick.
True but the exaggerated loading methods still show how much stronger steel is versus aluminum as the bed material. And according to this article, Ford says just 17 percent of F-150s are sold with a spray-in bed liner from the factory. So I bet there's owners out there who are surprised that their aluminum bed isn't as strong as their previous steel beds.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
In a 1/2 or smaller I dont think anyone would put loads in the bed that are going to make that much of a difference. Also Aluminum doesn't rust which is another bonus over steel. If we are talking HD pickups then I agree that steel might be the better way to go depending on use (ie if your buying a HD for towing then bed type isnt a huge consideration, but if your doing construction that requires huge loads in the bed then that might be a different story).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.