Alternator request

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Could some of you 3.0 owners please do me a favor and put your "voltmeter" display on your dash panel and report what happens with the volt reading when you are at idle, driving at normal rpm, coasting, and braking.

I'll explain later if you are not sure why I am requesting this.
Sponsored

JP 3.0

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, 2020 JLUD
Tried it today, but didnā€™t remember until I had been driving for a while. Long enough that I think the initial post-start recharge was finished.
12.8 v while at cruise, as soon as I start to coast the voltage slowly rises to 14.3 when coming to a stop. Voltage drops back down to 12.8 when stopped. I turn the ESS off as soon as I start up...

Iā€˜m wondering if this isnā€™t part of the program due to ESS, an extra squirt of juice before the shutdown?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Tried it today, but didnā€™t remember until I had been driving for a while. Long enough that I think the initial post-start recharge was finished.
12.8 v while at cruise, as soon as I start to coast the voltage slowly rises to 14.3 when coming to a stop. Voltage drops back down to 12.8 when stopped. I turn the ESS off as soon as I start up...

Iā€˜m wondering if this isnā€™t part of the program due to ESS, an extra squirt of juice before the shutdown?
I wonder if the rise in voltage when coasting isnā€™t a fuel-saving thing fca implemented? It would make sense; since the vehicle is off-throttle, itā€™s a ā€œfreeā€ opportunity to charge the battery using the vehicleā€™s momentum, by using more of the alternatorā€™s capability. Then when accelerating or cruising, back off on the alternatorā€™s field current to save fuel.

Like a tiny version of regenerative braking (on an electric vehicle).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, If anyone else could check their's as well I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking there may be nothing wrong with mine and this may be the charging specifics for the 3.0 (It's a different alternator) and the dealership doesn't have a clue about its charging characteristics.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I did drive mine this morning but forgot all about keeping an eye on the voltage. I can say that on other drives, when I have the off road page up showing gauges, I have noticed the voltage reading vary quite a bit (Like upper 12ā€™s to upper 13ā€™s I think).

I will try to remember next time I drive it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reason I have been asking is I got an email from Jeep saying I had a charging fault and to take the rig in. I started paying attention to the voltmeter and noticed the highest charge seemed to be when coasting. Made no sense to me so I thought I might as well take it in.

I explained what I had been seeing but that there were no warnings of any issues in the Jeep itself and the battery charge seemed fine. Their tech "checked it out" and verified it was showing voltage like I mentioned and they decided it was a "bad alternator", That may be back ordered until mid May. :swear:

I don't trust that they realize there may be a difference in the 3.0 vs. other models.

shufly09

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel JL (ordered)
The reason I have been asking is I got an email from Jeep saying I had a charging fault and to take the rig in. I started paying attention to the voltmeter and noticed the highest charge seemed to be when coasting. Made no sense to me so I thought I might as well take it in.

I explained what I had been seeing but that there were no warnings of any issues in the Jeep itself and the battery charge seemed fine. Their tech "checked it out" and verified it was showing voltage like I mentioned and they decided it was a "bad alternator", That may be back ordered until mid May. :swear:

I don't trust that they realize there may be a difference in the 3.0 vs. other models.
Did you get an automated email with your vehicle health info? For the last couple of weeks, I get an alert that says:

"Your vehicle's Charging System Warning Light recently indicated that there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately."

However, everything seems normal with the voltage around 12.8 not running.

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get an automated email with your vehicle health info? For the last couple of weeks, I get an alert that says:

"Your vehicle's Charging System Warning Light recently indicated that there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately."

However, everything seems normal with the voltage around 12.8 not running.

Exactly my situation. Seems others on here have the same issue. One dealership looked at his and said no issue. Another did a flash and said it was a software issue. My dealership is doing nothing while looking for a replacement alternator that doesn't seem to be available.

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got KINI back today. The dealership flashed it and there were no updates. There are no service bulletins on this alternator alert. The alternator is backordered but the rig seems to be charging fine to me. The tech stated that at idle it is charging lower than recommended and could become a cumulative drain.

I will check the battery every day before driving with a handheld voltmeter and monitor the charge level for a while for kicks and giggles. I think this whole affair ended up a nothing burger.

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Bud90

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 JKU
Had same thing happened Saturday with emails
Then checking voltage on gauge
Havenā€™t ckecked with dealer
Anything new anyone?

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE

My Buddy has a E Diesel, has already went the dealship route, they tore his jeep apart because of exactlly what your concerns are (voltage variation) they ended up frying his alternator and had to replace both batteries. They had said the same thing that it was a bad alternator, but it wasn't. Becarefull, they dont know what or why it does the fluctuation in voltage.

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Could some of you 3.0 owners please do me a favor and put your "voltmeter" display on your dash panel and report what happens with the volt reading when you are at idle, driving at normal rpm, coasting, and braking.

I'll explain later if you are not sure why I am requesting this.
My buddy sent me this posting

i have been getting these emails since 256 miles and Iā€™m now at 5689 miles.
the dealership replaces the alternator, fried the PCM, fired both of the batteries, had to wait for a new PCM, the replacement alternator put out less charge vs the original one. They installed the original alternator and Iā€™m back to square one with the exception, the dealership completely dismantled my JLUR causing damage, broken clips, missing clips, panels not fitting right damage to the paint in both door jams and bolts under the hood.
talk about being pissed!
they have a open Star case and the clowns at FCA gave up because they have no idea what the problem is.
my last conversation with the dealership before I left on a trip was FCA had put a senior advisor on my case.
when I get back I have to drop off my JLUR for the dealership to fix all of the damage they caused while working on the vehicle.
The dealership has another alternator on order, due date is July
my vehicle will charge normally until it heats up, than it stays at 12.6V.
I have not had any problems other than the emails saying their is a problem. When the dealership plugs in their tester their are no codes.
my advise is if the dealership works on your vehicle do a complete inspection, none of their techs have been trained on the diesel and are completely clueless.
the FCA Star case folks are no better than calling Apple care for help. They only follow a flow chart they are reading from.

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My buddy sent me this posting

i have been getting these emails since 256 miles and Iā€™m now at 5689 miles.
the dealership replaces the alternator, fried the PCM, fired both of the batteries, had to wait for a new PCM, the replacement alternator put out less charge vs the original one. They installed the original alternator and Iā€™m back to square one with the exception, the dealership completely dismantled my JLUR causing damage, broken clips, missing clips, panels not fitting right damage to the paint in both door jams and bolts under the hood.
talk about being pissed!
they have a open Star case and the clowns at FCA gave up because they have no idea what the problem is.
my last conversation with the dealership before I left on a trip was FCA had put a senior advisor on my case.
when I get back I have to drop off my JLUR for the dealership to fix all of the damage they caused while working on the vehicle.
The dealership has another alternator on order, due date is July
my vehicle will charge normally until it heats up, than it stays at 12.6V.
I have not had any problems other than the emails saying their is a problem. When the dealership plugs in their tester their are no codes.
my advise is if the dealership works on your vehicle do a complete inspection, none of their techs have been trained on the diesel and are completely clueless.
the FCA Star case folks are no better than calling Apple care for help. They only follow a flow chart they are reading from.

Sorry to hear about your grief. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored