Alternator/pulley noise?

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Anyone else have this noise coming from their engine compartment? Sounds like a loud alternator or a pulley or something. Only other time I've heard this noise was on an old Jetta right before the alternator committed suicide.

Took it to the dealer and they did that "What noise? We don't hear a noise." thing they learn at mechanic school. Then they told me it's a Jeep thing to which I replied, "I thought you didn't hear a noise." Anyway, here we are.
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I would by a cheap stethoscope at Harbor Freight to locate the exact source.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I am not sure what you’re referring to. I don’t hear anything out of the ordinary. Is it the tapping? The 3.6 have been known to have noisy lifters so that would be common and not a problem. Is it the blowing? People all over are mentioning the incredibly loud fan. I guess if you don’t agree with the dealership diagnosis, your only option is to try a different one.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Anyone else have this noise coming from their engine compartment? Sounds like a loud alternator or a pulley or something. Only other time I've heard this noise was on an old Jetta right before the alternator committed suicide.
Reviving this from the deep depths of hell, did you ever identify if the noise was an actual issue? Mine recently started to make that same slight whistling sound.

I'm 99% sure it's coming from the alternator.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Reviving this from the deep depths of hell, did you ever identify if the noise was an actual issue? Mine recently started to make that same slight whistling sound.

I'm 99% sure it's coming from the alternator.
Does yours change when you move the steering wheel? If so that’s normal.