Alternative Wiring for Brawlee Liftgate Hatch Light Bar

JLURVA

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
I would like to install a Brawlee Hatch Light Bar in my 2019 JLUR, but with an alternative wiring design so I can switch between dome light power and direct to 12v power (if I am tailgating and don't want the dome lights on). If anyone has a recommendation for a rocker switch and the appropriate wiring, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to install a Brawlee Hatch Light Bar in my 2019 JLUR, but with an alternative wiring design so I can switch between dome light power and direct to 12v power (if I am tailgating and don't want the dome lights on). If anyone has a recommendation for a rocker switch and the appropriate wiring, I would greatly appreciate it.
I recently installed the Brawlee light and have been thinking about this too. I think you can use something like this...
2019-08-27 10_50_46-on off on switch - Google Search - Vivaldi.jpg

It's an on, off, on switch.
One ON position can be dome light.
The other ON position can be 12v power.
I've looked at a few youtube videos which have helped me understand it better.
Here's a quick video:

Can anyone with this type of experience chime in on this type of setup?

OP
OP

JLURVA

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
First off, thanks for jumping in and trying to offer some help! I believe the issue with the video you shared is that the "on-off-on" switch is a Single Pole, Double Throw (SPDT) which means that you have a single pole (power source = battery) and dual throws (two separate lights - one green and one purple). I need a Double Pole (dual power source, one on the dome light circuit, and one direct to the battery), Single Throw (to the single Brawlee Light Bar).

I can't find an "on-on" or "on-off-on" switch in a DPST configuration. I have found some that are DPDT, and wonder if you can wire a DPDT switch to function as a DPST.

Thanks!

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
First off, thanks for jumping in and trying to offer some help! I believe the issue with the video you shared is that the "on-off-on" switch is a Single Pole, Double Throw (SPDT) which means that you have a single pole (power source = battery) and dual throws (two separate lights - one green and one purple). I need a Double Pole (dual power source, one on the dome light circuit, and one direct to the battery), Single Throw (to the single Brawlee Light Bar).

I can't find an "on-on" or "on-off-on" switch in a DPST configuration. I have found some that are DPDT, and wonder if you can wire a DPDT switch to function as a DPST.

Thanks!
An SPDT center off is correct and all you need. The video just shows one use case of the SPDT (switch one power source between two different loads) and this just is not the use case you want. The use case you want is to switch one load between two different power sources.

In your case hook the Brawlee lamp power (red) to the center terminal, the battery source (easily tapped from the rear power outlet) to one end terminal and the dome light power to the other end terminal.

The ground (black) from the Brawlee light can go to ground on either of the power sources or the chassis because they are all common ground.

And yes, I did exactly this on my JLUR and it works great!

OP
OP

JLURVA

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
An SPDT center off is correct and all you need. The video just shows one use case of the SPDT (switch one power source between two different loads) and this just is not the use case you want. The use case you want is to switch one load between two different power sources.

In your case hook the Brawlee lamp power (red) to the center terminal, the battery source (easily tapped from the rear power outlet) to one end terminal and the dome light power to the other end terminal.

The ground (black) from the Brawlee light can go to ground on either of the power sources or the chassis because they are all common ground.

And yes, I did exactly this on my JLUR and it works great!

Awesome. Thanks!!! I really appreciate your guidance and wiring instructions. I'm not an EE and get nervous trying things with electrical that I'm not 100% sure on.

Sponsored

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. Thanks!!! I really appreciate your guidance and wiring instructions. I'm not an EE and get nervous trying things with electrical that I'm not 100% sure on.
How did it go?
I finished today.
20190907_191523.jpg
Sponsored